Delaware or Penn State???????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Delaware or Penn State???????
By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Which college would you rather attend..University of Delaware or Penn State?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Penn State -- why is there even a question?

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Well because even though Penn State is ranked higher, it's an enormous school in the middle of nowhere far away from where I live. I've applied to a bunch of schools and these have been my top 2. I've wanted to go to Delaware for a long time because I visited and really liked it there, but I really like Penn State also. The problem is that I live in North Carolina, so transportation to Penn State from here is very difficult while it's only a 5 hour drive to UDel. Also, the PSU out of state cost is very high and most of the PSU people are in staters while most of the Delaware people are out of staters. I am also a liberal arts major and I heard that Penn State was better in practical fields such as business and engineering but not so much in liberal arts. I cannot decide what to do. I've been leaning toward Delaware all along but I'm just confused whether or not I'm making the right decision.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

PSU and Delaware are both really good schools. PSU has plenty of out of staters but it is true that the cost is really high. Everyone that goes to delaware is from del,jersey,PA, long island, and md. Either way, you are going to come from a state that is not that highly represented so that should not be a reason for your decision. Personally, I absolutely hated delawares location, I mean it was just boring as anything. Nothing pretty or scenic about it, just plain old delaware. But many ppl think the campus itself is beautiful and many kids from my philly suburb school go there and love it. Also, there is basically no difference btw PSU and del in liberal arts, you are going to get the same education at either place. PSU has a lot more majors tho. Anyway, it all should depend on which campus you feel more comftorble at and how much you can afford to spend. You are going to get a great/same education at both schools and they are both going to have similar students. Best of luck to you.

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for your advice. I liked Delaware's location since it's in a college town, but close enough to Baltimore and Philly. Yeah I know that there won't be many people from NC at either, but at Delaware it just seems like people are from everywhere and it feels like a private school so not everyone just comes from one state. My parents said I could go to either one, so money isn't that big of a deal, but PSU just seems very expensive for a public school. But I really like it there and the campus is amazing. It's a tough decision because they're both good academically and socially. I guess I will have to just decide within the next couple weeks. Do you know how strong each school's psychology and political science programs are?

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

As I said above, it's not even a question. Penn State!

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

For me, there is a question, or else I wouldn't be asking. Did you go to Penn State or something? Why do you think that it's not a question?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:01 am: Edit

The whole atmosphere of Penn State is so much more alive than at Delaware. It has a very vital feel to it and happy, smiling students, all very glad to be there. For lack of a better term, there is a certain magic to the Penn State campus that is missing from Delaware. Both are well-funded, that's for sure; all that DuPont money has elevated Delaware -- but it is still not Penn State in stature and in reputation.

Penn State is in the Top 50 of U.S. universities and among just the public universities in the Top 20. Delaware is about 15 places down nationally in both categories.

Also, while on the undergraduate level, most of the people will be from in-state at both schools, there is also a proportional number of out-of-staters at both schools. Because of the prominence of some of the graduate programs at Penn State (business, computer science and agriculture come quickly to mind), there are more than just regional students there. Also the commercial area surrounding Penn State with its shops and restaurants is also quite active and convenient.

And then there's the question of what you want to study. I think you need to go on-line and look at the psych and poly sci curricula and faculty and determine from there. If there is little if any difference, then you might consider which degree will have greater weight, especially if you intend to apply to grad school. For all intents and purposes, I think the Penn State degree will go farther.

That's the answer to the question. Of course, ultimately, it's your decision and where you feel you'll be happier. IMHO, Penn State just offers so much more all around.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I completely agree with collegeparent. Penn State is amazing!

By Jetboy1857 (Jetboy1857) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I'll third Collegeparent's description... unless you have some specific dying reason for going to Deleware then it's PSU all the way. University Park is located somewhat in the middle of nowhere, but the actual town itself is very lively and probably highly unique as far as colelge towns go in the USA. There is no question that PSU's national and international reputation is better than Deleware's. As for transport the drive isn't too bad, plus driving up through the mountains in the fall is just amazing! PSU's alumni network is amoung the best of any unversity. Just some additional comments, but I agree PSU is amazing!

By Marcyr (Marcyr) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I think that you'll get an excellent education at either school, and unless there is a major difference in course work/degree requirements between the departments at the two schools, you should go with the one that feels more comfortable. If PSU "feels" better, go there; if UD does, go there. Don't let other people's opinions sway you, since you're the one who has to live with the decision you make. I'm getting very tired of people worrying about how a school is ranked - so what if PSU is #whatever, and UD is #whatever-15? In 10 years, where you did your undergraduate work will be irrelevant. Both schools have excellent reps, excellent alumni organizations and high percentages of job placement success stories. Choose the school that feels like home to you, and don't worry about anyone else's opinion. As I told my kids, go with your gut.

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Thanks for all your advice. I don't care about rankings as much as the college that is the best "fit" for me. US News Rankings are irrelevant anyway and I don't think that you can just give colleges a specific number. I just don't know what to do because I like both of the schools so much and those were my top 2 out of the 7 schools I was accepted to. I am actually going to probably go visit the schools again within the next 2 weeks because that's the only way I'll really be able to decide.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Have a great trip -- you'll know once you step foot on the campus which it'll be --

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page