Smith or Syracuse?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Smith or Syracuse?
By Sgfilm86 (Sgfilm86) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

I know they're really different colleges but this is my problem.

Smith- Its prestigious and I know i'll get a quality education at Smith.
Syracuse- I want to study communication and they have the best communication program in the country.

I don't know which one to pick. Money isn't a issue since I got an equally generous financial aid from both colleges. I just need some HELP! breaking them down.

By Erinvert (Erinvert) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

I just got back from visitng Syracuse and for me seeing the abject ghetto in the surrounding area and the amount of greek life really turned me off. We counted 44 frat house to 26 academic buildings (not including dorms or administration buildings). I found Syracuse very depressing and imagine that it would only be more so in the winter. Frankly the only upside was that on the far outskirts of town there was a nice mall. I too want to major in communication type things but I don't think the education could ever make up for living there. At Smith you can be sure to get a well rounded education and will be covered if your interests change. That's my $.02

By Sgfilm86 (Sgfilm86) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Thank you, I appreciated your "$.02"

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Sgfilm, I think erinvert is right i think you will definitely get a better education at Smith, and if i am wrong please correct me but isn't Smith part of the 5 college consortium. If they are that would be very beneficial to you, in the fact that you can take classes at other colleges and get a diverse education.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I graduated from Syracuse Newhouse School of Communications and was very happy with my education there as well as the social life (and I had nothing to do with the Greek system and didn't find Syracuse depressing at all!).

HOWEVER, although Syracuse is a good school, it doesn't compare in educational quality to Smith. If you still want to go into communications, you could go to graduate school at Syracuse or Northwestern. You'll have accomplished the same thing and end up with a better overall education.

Of course, you do have to consider the atmosphere at both schools - all-female vs. coed. If you're comfortable with the concept of an all-female school, go for it. But if your heart is set on studying communications as an undergrad, Syracuse is the place to be. Don't make the decision based on "prestige" but on which environment you can best visualize yourself in for the next four years.

Only you can decide. Trust your gut instinct as to where you'd feel most comfortable and be happiest. There is no "right or wrong" for everyone - do what feels right to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page