UChicago vs. Trinity College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UChicago vs. Trinity College
By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

History Major. Chicago would mean 20 grand debt. Trinity would mean no debt. What would u do?

By Cookie33 (Cookie33) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

trinity

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

UChicago, I personally think 20 grand spread out over four years isn't the biggest deal compared to some people on these boards who will be in debt $160,000+ for the school of their choice.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

That's nothing.... Uchicago is a world away from Trinity. Go to Chicago.

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

really i have never heard of trinity... go to chicago and pay off the debt later. I might see you there next year if i decide to go

By Er222 (Er222) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

If you can somehow afford it -- including taking on debt that you can handle -- I don't think that it's even a close choice. Go for Chicago.

By Asimplemind (Asimplemind) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Do people on this board chose prestige over anything else in choosing a college? Why on earth would Chicago be preferred to Trinity automatically? Trinity is a fine liberal arts college, Chicago is a large university, both will give u a very good education. I know Er222 your child is choosing Chicago but that doesnt make it a no brainer.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Chicago IS a large university, but it pays unique attention to its undergrads. No one is saying that Trinity isn't a good school, but I don't think that many people would argue that it is better (ignoring prestige, even) than UChicago.

By Er222 (Er222) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

To Asimplemind: You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have implied that it's a "no brainer." In fact, I have a close relative who's at Trinity right now (finishing second year), and absolutely loving it. The reason I said that it wasn't a close call was because I thought that the $20K was the only thing making the difference for the writer, and that was what I was responding to. (I was not thinking about "prestige.") There are many reasons that the writer should consider -- including one's feelings for and against living in a large city, the relative advantages and disadvantages of a university versus an LAC, the specific area of concentration, the "culture" of the school, and, yes, financial considerations. The writer might reasonably conclude that Trinity is the right choice -- and will undoubtedly wind up with a terrific education there.

By Asimplemind (Asimplemind) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

For a good liberal arts EDUCATION many people Candi1657 would argue that Trinity is better than or equal to Chicago. Its not just a matter of rankings, despite what many people on this board think.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

I don't agree it's a matter of rankings either...but UChicago offers an excellent liberal arts education that I would say is comparable or better than Trinity. That's simply the quantitative factors, however. I think some people would prefer Trinity for qualitative factors, though.

By Er222 (Er222) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Of course it's not a matter of rankings. Cutie314 should talk to as many students as she can at both colleges. I don't know where she lives, but if it's not prohibitively expensive to visit both, she should, and spend a night at each, if she can. One of the reasons for my initial recommendation was Cutie314's saying she wants to major in History, and my understanding that Chicago's History Department is one of its strongest. I don't have any knowledge about Trinity's, but she should look into that too.

By Asimplemind (Asimplemind) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Hi Er222, my son is likely Chicago bound [he'll be there tomorrow actually with his Dad]. It was his first choice, over any Ivy. But he also likes Vassar which we discussed before [he did not apply to any other LAC by the way]. But I think choosing one good school over another based on arbitary rankings doesn't make sense. And I see it done over and over again. I turned down Yale for Vassar and never regretted it once. And my undergraduate education was excellent. And strong departments at Universities do not necessarily mean a good education as oftentimes the names don't teach undergrads. I had dinner with Arthur Schlesinger Jr when I was an undergrad and he told me he never dealt with students at his University, only grad students whom he basically used to do his reseach.

You have a S or D going to Chicago, I can't recall? And thank you for your reassuring words on the Chicago board.

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

wow...i wasn't expecting so many responses. Thanx everyone! I live in a ct suburb 20 minutes away from Trinity and I've visted before (although it was in the summer so I didn't get an accuarate feel for the school since there weren't any students there), but I'm going again (tomorrow, in fact). I've never visited UChicago but I want to go to the admitted students overnight on the 22nd and 23rd (provided plane ticket prices drop from the redicules $500 they're at now). I want to go away for college and live in a city so Chicago is perfect in that sense. On the other hand, I'm contemplating going to grad or law school afterwards, so it would be nice to be without an undergrad degree debt. Then again, it seems Chicago has better placement into grad and law schools. See the dilemma?

By Asimplemind (Asimplemind) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

If its 20K total for 4 years debt, then I would suggest Chicago since it has more of what you are looking for. 20K total is really not very much in the scheme of things.

By Er222 (Er222) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Asimplemind: And thank you. I've enjoyed reading your very sensible messages on what is really important in picking schools. It's my daughter who's going to Chicago come September. And, as I recall, she sounded very much like your description of your son. What has impressed me most about Chicago has not been its "prestige" or its ranking, but rather its emphasis on the "life of the mind," the core curriculum, the small classes and -- unlike my own experience at an Ivy -- so many classes taught by professors. And my daughter is in love with the city. I know, from reading your messages, that your son will make the right choice for the right reasons. He really can't go wrong. And, as you've indicated in your messages, most of the kids on this board can't go wrong, so long as they consider the right factors. Best of luck to him.
As to Cutie314, you're going about this the right way. You have two great schools to choose between. Good luck to you too.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Everyone needs to stop backing off just becuase Asimplemind called us out on choosing Uchicago over Trinity "automaticallly." The truth is that rankings matter: whether in an office trying to assess how strong diff. applicant's academic backgrounds are, talking to people at parties, or professional school admissions. We, as society, NEED rankings and therefore must advise this HS student to take the overall higher ranked school, because that is what really counts in the working and social worlds... especially when the difference is a measly 20,000.

Please don't let your "political correctness" get in the way of the best school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page