Bob jones

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Bob jones
By Pixx (Pixx) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

hello everyone, i'm trying to find someone who has transfered out of bob jones university. my parents are insisting that i go to a bible college for at least a year, and since bob jones isn't accredited i'm wondering how much of a negative effect it will have on my transfer. i've heard different things, and it would be great if someone who has transfered can tell me his experience.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Well, many grad schools/professional schools require you graduate from an "accreditted" school... so if you're looking at that route, you have just limited yourself to fewer schools.

By Eskimo (Eskimo) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

How about going to Yeshiva University, that would really shake up your folks.

By Pixx (Pixx) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

what i'm mostly worried about is wasting a year(and not to mention a whole lot of money that i can't really spare) on a college that i know i won't like, and then not having any of my credits transfer to another college. and i dont' want to end up getting stuck at bob jones for 4 years because no other college will accept me.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

How about Wheaton? That's a Bible school that teaches regular stuff as well. Most of your credits from there will probably transfer.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:41 am: Edit

Is it just me, or does the name "Bob Jones University!" sound a bit...cult-like.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Other suggestions besides Wheaton for schools that may appease your parents and give you a good education or chance of transferring:
Pepperdine
Hope College
Texas Christian U
Seattle Pacific U
Godon College
Houghton College
Calvin College
Valparaiso
Westmont College (CA)Goshen Colege

And, you might also do a search on the internet for the "Coalition for Christian Colleges and Universities" an association of Christian colleges that are "committed to Christ as the center of campus life" ---- you'll find they have an extensive list of schools that might fit BOTHyour parents and YOUR desires.

By Mparking (Mparking) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

If I were you, I'd go with Texas Christian U. Nice campus, and it's not completely a bible school, but probably enough for your parents.

You should tell your parents about other options, if they want you to get some background in biblical studies or religion.

What about plain religious affiliation, where they require a strong religious background study? The University of St. Thomas (it's Catholic, I'm not sure if you have a certain preference) in Houston is a really good school as well (can't you tell I'm from Texas), and LOTS of people from there transfer to really good schools.

There's also the University of Chicago, if you want to go to a well-accredited school. They have the Divinity School, which focuses on religious studies as well. It's a really nice place to go, from what I've heard (and not at all dangerous, like some people think).

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

You might go to Westmont and really love it. It's in Santa Barbara and I've heard people really are happy there. Chapman University is also Christian. I can't imagine going to Bob Jones. I mean, couldn't he think of another name?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Bob Jones is a historically racist school. I wouldn't go there. Wheaton is a good choice.

By Cama (Cama) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Nazareth college in NY

By Mike (Mike) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Bob Jones is the last place I would attend Too controling and unaccredited. Wheaton, Westmont are a couple of very good schools with strong religion emphasis

By Villatransfer (Villatransfer) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Any body watch that new movie the Ladykillers with Tom Hanks? Now I get a chuckle every time I hear Bob Jones University. You have to watch the movie to understand.

By Innotof (Innotof) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

maybe Biola or Azusa Pacific (both in CA)

By Geoff848 (Geoff848) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

if you have time or the inclination, read Al Franken's "Lies". i promise you wont consider bob jones after that. A memorable quote compares the degree giving power of Bob Jones to that of Schlotsky's Deli... haha oh man, dont go to BJU if at all possible

By Mstee (Mstee) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Yes, read Lies. Describes a very interesting "campus visit." I was blown away by some of the rules, such as no rock music allowed on campus, and that includes Christian rock music!

By Fakeplastictree (Fakeplastictree) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Your parents suck. A lot.

Bob Jones is the place that didn't allow interracial dating? Do they still forbid it? If you go, kiss someone from another race in front of the dean for me. Then tell him that you're bisexual.

Perhaps you'll get kicked out. And that would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

By Hsseniorpa (Hsseniorpa) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

hey not only are you not allowed to date interracially...you cant date PERIOD...no one is allowed to go out with a person of a different sex (i guess they assume that there aren't any homosexuals) without at least one adult chaperone..ouch

By Faline (Faline) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

I graduated from college at what was then Baptist-related Furman University in Greenville, SC. Furman is a wonderful liberal arts college and has broken its financial ties to the Southern Baptist Convention in order to maintain academic freedom as has Wake Forest and others. However, many Furman students are very religious and sincere about studying theology. Some of my best classroom hours were in very enlightening classes in the Religion Dept--a place that did a lot to expand and broaden the thinking of many kids who arrived at Furman. I had plenty of views of Bob Jones students over four years of seeing them occasionally in places to eat etc. My parents naively noticed Bob Jones (I am not going to dignify it by calling it a University) on the map and we even turned into the front gate when I was 18! We hightailed it out in less than three minutes and we were a conservative military family! The students are from all over the USA and many seemed to be prisoners of their far away parents' fears about the Outside World to me. It is hard to imagine how they all ended up there but I have the idea that each student had a different and unique story that was related to well....their parents. It is true that all dates are chaperoned, that racist bigotry is enforced and preached and that the students are rarely seen off campus as the administration views the "outside world" in all its forms as corrupt. Once you get past the security gate which resembles Quantico's, and you notice the extensive Fencing all around the campus, outsiders with appointments or school buses on field trips are allowed inside to see their rather priceless Art Museum collection of all Religious paintings...some are from the Masters. Bob Jones male students with very short hair, white shirts, ties and fancy suits were posted as guards throughout the Art Museum. I toured that at least twice when taking around school kids or camps. Please Please whatever you do, don't let your parents do this to you--get creative and enlist your guidance counselor in finding you some alternatives. Wheaton comes to mind as a viable alternative, but there are many other church related schools in the USA that are healthy and sane. This school is a cult, not a Bible School in My Humble and Not Minority Opinion. For a Big Instance, the theater department did Shakespeare often and guess who always played the lead role? Why Bob Jones Junior or the Second--maybe there is a third now?, no matter how outrageously too old and macabre he was for the parts! He was aged and playing Hamlet and anything else that was center stage. Really, I am being kind, not harsh to tell you this. I am going to get off my keyboard and get on my knees and say a prayer for you that you will find a way to persuade your parents to pay for you to attend a good church affiliated liberal arts college or university instead where you can join a faith related organization of your choice on campus as part of your social life and you can pursue a real education around adults/teachers who are thoughtful caring people who can study the Bible and scripture without the perverse distortions that are the hallmark of Bob Jones. I would even have to say that I would recommend that you refuse to go as I think the experience could do you harm, and I know it is hard to defy your parents at your age...I would have had a hard time defying mine. You are young but the next years truly can be the best years of your life, and I wish you only the best and a good place to land. I am a Mom of someone your age now, and would be happy to learn you found an alternative for yourself.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page