USC w/ Half Tuition

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: USC w/ Half Tuition
By Perplexed (Perplexed) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Here's the deal. I want to go into undergradutate Electrical Engineering. I have been accepted to 3 schools with the following scholarships:

UNM: Cost $0/year (After $10,000/year scholarship)
BYU: Cost $10,000/year (After $3,000/year scholarship)
USC: Cost $26,000/year (After $14,000/year scholarship)

***The question is:***
Is it worth going to USC with a half scholarship to do Electrical Engineering?

By Rana (Rana) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Short answer: yes. Of the three schools you list, USC will not only have stronger academic programs, but they will also have the better job placement, grad school, and alumni connections after you graduate. Of course the price is steep, and if you and your family can pay for it, then go for it. Otherwise, I think UNM might have the advantage over BYU, esp given its links to Los Alamos and the Sandia national labs. BYU is a nice campus and if you are Mormon and conservative it may be a very comfortable campus to be in, but the cultural and academic diversity won't be as great as at the other campuses.

By Perplexed (Perplexed) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice.

Any other input form anyone?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I don't know much about the engineering program at USC (I'm just an English major :)) but I do know that with the Viterbi donation, the program is continuing to gain prestige and even more quality.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page