Wash U or Cornell for engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Wash U or Cornell for engineering
By Juliet1 (Juliet1) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Which school? I will be studying mechanical engineering or biomedical/bioengineering? Thanks

By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Most students are deciding between Cornell, Stanford, Penn etc.....I don't see wash u in the picture anywhere....but if you like wash u, go for it.

By Juliet1 (Juliet1) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I guess what I am asking is the following - is Cornell engineering cut throat and difficult, I am planning to go to med school or grad school and would also like a great college experience. I kniw Cornell is an ivy a top 10 enginnering school. HOW HARD IS CORNELL ENGINEERING. One thread on the Cornell thread scared me. Thanks.

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Just for info: At a Case open house the professors advised those interested in med school to reconsider bioengineering as a major. They felt is was far too difficult of a program, and suggested it would be better to major in something less difficult as an undergrad since grades are SO important for admission to med school. Perhaps that is only true at Case. It also sounds counter-intuitive, but others have also heard similar advise elsewhere. If you truly love bioengineering, then go for it. However, if it is only a stepping stone to med school you may wish to discuss that perception with advisors.

By Monydad (Monydad) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Cornell engineering was indeed tough when I was there years ago, there is no soft-peddling this. Back in my day, the engineering school had a(significantly)lower GPA required for dean's list than the Arts& Sciences school had, so that should give you an idea about the relative grading standards, at that time anyway. However this was like 30 years ago, and I have no idea if it's still true.

On the other hand, Wash U is also reputed to be quite tough. And almost all engineering schools are reputed to be tough.

By Ngirur (Ngirur) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:14 am: Edit

Umm......cornell...hello?!!!!
Wash. U. is full of camp people....kumbaya...sit around the fire... are you okay?! Cornell...in ny...def....better engineering....hello?!!!! and ivy league!!!! Hello?!!!

By Lakeside (Lakeside) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

Cornell has some of hte best engineering in the country. Hands down. Go there!! Cornell is an ivy. Wash U is over rated.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page