Cornell v. MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Cornell v. MIT
By Thamaster39 (Thamaster39) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I see there are ten BILLION topics about colleges and the decisions but I don't see one on MIT...What do you think are the main differences between the two schools?? I've been accepted to both and have visited MIT (loved the setting as concrete as it is and the people were great) and am visiting Cornell for free next week...I'm leaning toward MIT but I'd like to hear some thoughts....Thanks...

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

From what I've heard, Cornell is in the middle of nowhere, which is either a major plus or minus depending on you personally. I've always liked the city life, so I will not be applying to Cornell next year basically for that reason.

By Zzii (Zzii) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Hey Thamaster, Congrats on your acceptances. I also got in (by some lucky draw) to both schools and have visited both. IMO for any science or tech-related major (physics, engineering, comp sci, etc.), MIT has the upper-hand academically and has more prestige although Cornell is pretty close. (US News ranks MIT #1 for engineering and Cornell in the top 10).

I have visited both and although the Cornell campus is beautiful, it is in the middle of nowhere and I'm not sure I would like that, but everyone has a different opinion. Despite its somewhat ugly architecture, I liked MIT's campus because it is in a great city location but at the same time it is seperate and enclosed, right along the river.

In terms of the student atmosphere, I think MIT is more "nerdy" than Cornell would be, but the people there are very nice and you are in Boston with thousands of other college kids so finding something to do wouldn't be a problem.

I know MIT has it's Campus Preview Weekend next week, are you going to that?

I plan on majoring in Mechanical Engineering and have pretty much decided on MIT because it is #1 for that major and I like the location and atmosphere better. But that's just my opinion. :)

What is your major, BTW?

By Thamaster39 (Thamaster39) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Thats great Zzii, good to see someone in the same position as me lol

I went to Boston and visited MIT on Monday. As you said the school is definitely not aesthetically pleasing but I liked it nonetheless. I visited the campus before CPW because Cornell Days are the same weekend and unlike MIT they paid for me to fly up there (might as well take the free trip!) I'm going up there with an open mind and a want to survey the place but like you I know that MIT is the best at engineering period and I was seriously drawn to the people and their dedication. (and of course Ithaca compared to Boston isn't an even match lol)

I plan to major in Electrical Engineering / Computer Science (either one or both). I kinda feel the people at the school seemed nerdy but talking to several students and alumni people choose to be a hermit or have a great college experience (I'll be choosing the latter)

Feel free to IM me at damaster39 on AIM-

Also, I still want to hear peoples thoughts on both schools....

By Thamaster39 (Thamaster39) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

bump

By Jonnybjab (Jonnybjab) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

hey, this is my first post on this website. im deciding between MIT, Cornell and Duke too. I'm having a really hard time. I visited duke last week (for free) and it was great. I want to study a combination of engineering (biomedical?) and business. All three are great schools. At first i disregarded cornell b/c weaker students from my school were accepted there, but there are so many perks to going to a large diverse university (aside from the superior food, beautiful campus..etc.) I'm mostly concerned about the people and the life I would have. I'm going to MIT CPW next week and am eager to see what MIT's really like. I'm fully undecided at this point.

By Monydad (Monydad) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

As compared to MIT, one difference some might find significant is that Cornell has girls - who are not just interested in science.

Cornell is in an area surrounded by great natural beauty. It's in a small city which is a regional cultural hub, but frankly there are many people who never leave campus because there's a lot going on right there and they're working hard.

If you prefer acess to a major city to the great outdoors and natural beauty then a school like MIT or Tufts would be preferable for you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page