Berkeley v. Michigan-Ann Arbor?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Berkeley v. Michigan-Ann Arbor?
By Jainax (Jainax) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I'm torn, so very torn.
I've been accepted to both and I like both. However, I'm a Berkeley spring admit which means 4 more months of living at home in NY. I'm in Michigan right now, visting the university. I love the atmosphere and the incredible love everyone seems to have for their school. I'll be visiting UCB next week but I'd still like to get some opinions.
Neither are offering me money though UCB costs less. Personally I hate the cold and the snow. However, if weather weren't a factor, I might be leaning more towards Michigan.
Also, to make the whole thing just a little more confusing, I was accepted into Boston U, my safety, which is offering me a lot of money, honors program, University Scholar etc.
My intended major is astrophysics, possible minor in geo. Boston is second only to Berkeley in terms of the size of it's astro program.
Meh, that was a bit of a ramble but I think I got the point across.
So...opinions anyone?
And Michigan students or alumni, now that I'm here visiting, suggestions on where to go? Who to speak with? Maybe, someone to meet who could show me around?

By Dstark (Dstark) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Don't rush your choice. After visiting everywhere, hopefully, it will become clear. I will be interested in seeing your decision since I went to Berkeley and my kid is probably going to Michigan. I have to like both places.

By Jainax (Jainax) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to get some early insight. Anyone else?

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

i live 45 minutes from Umich, have had four cousins attend (damn no legacy lol) so it's no suprise that i am Umich biased......

but honestly speaking, i know that Umich is excellent for the sciences , both life and physical (this includes ur intended major obviousely,) and berkeley is more well known for its humanities majors, so i would go to Umich. i'm not going to lie to you, the weather does suck, but its unpredictable. my teacher always makes this joke about michigan weather: "you don't like it, wait five minutes." agreed, usually, it's not very nice, but don't let the weather be the reason why you choose berkeley over michigan because ann arbor is such a great town and there's incredible wolverine spirit.

i agree with dstark though. visit both, then make your decision, but i do know that Umich is "regarded higher" in terms of academics for the sciences- maybe not for the humanities, but for the sciences, research in particular, go to Umich.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page