UMass or UConn? Help me out here

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UMass or UConn? Help me out here
By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I'm not sure which one to pick for Eningeering. Which one has a better engineering program? I've received financial aid and money is not a determining factor in which school I go to. Does anyone have any pros and cons against these two schools? thanks.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Uconn.

By Dazed04confused (Dazed04confused) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

UMass.

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

ok so far we have 1vote for umass and 1vote for uconn. any reasoning behind this? anyone else want to voice their opinion? this is starting to drive me crazy and i have to choose soon

By Willothewisp (Willothewisp) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Would you rather trust a parent or someone who is dazed and confused?

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

this isnt about trusting someone. i want a better answer than "uconn" or "umass". how am i suppose to believe someone if they dont have any reasons or facts to back it up?

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Uconn has the state government behind it to the tune of billions in new buildings. Umass has squat.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

I had to make this exact same choice over 30 years ago. I picked UConn. In retrospect, it was the better choice. UConn was known back then for it's engineering, and now other areas have also gained in status. UMass does have the consortium of schools option which UConn doesn't, but I still think UConn is the better choice for quality of academics. I attended summer classes at UMass one year; my UConn courses and professors were better, but, then that was decades ago!!

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

UConn is the best NE state school academically, and it's basketball program will gain it even more of a national recognition in the future.

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

yea im leaning towards uconn too. but when i drove by i didnt like storrs too much it was in the middle of nowhere. plus its like 40minutes away from home. i would feel too close to my parents and they would want me to come home a lot.

umass is in amherst and its a lovely college atmosphere. the campus was absolutely beautiful and its atleast an hour and 45minutes up north.

this is definitely going to be a hard decision to make. i know like 15 people from our school who are going to uconn, and about 10people who went there last year. college is about exploring and moving on and i kinda want to be different and have a new start. atleast i still got a lot of time to think about it.

By Bdiddy16 (Bdiddy16) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

UConn is a lot better then UMass but I am being bias because I am a CT resident. I just went there yesterday and I like it so much.
Judging by your last paragraph it seems like it be better if you went to UMAss though.

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

yea but some people are saying that uconn is a lot better and i will feel guilty if i go to umass, knowing i will be missing out on an awesome education. I really dont know if the engineering program at umass is just as respectable as the one at uconn

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

UCONN has buses that ship you to NYC and Boston...and Hartford. Even though the campus may be whack, you still have a chance to go to the city and have fun. Again, UCONN is the top ranked institution out of publics in NE and Vermont is second. UMASS is a good school too but it is at the bottom of the 2nd tier.

By Jake (Jake) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Another vote for UConn. Have you visted them? I have. It's a better school for engineering IMO but there's not much to do in Storrs. Unless you like B-Ball.

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

ya i visited it and the buildings are nice there too. and you're right about storrs being pretty boring and not much to do aside from the campus activities.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Uconn is flat out sick... Umass is ugly

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I don't know anything about either's engineering program (I never looked into it because I'm not leaning in that direction of study) but my 2 cents:

UConn is academically better than UMass. Also, if you're concerned about knowing people there... don't be. UConn has SO many kids that who knows if you'll even so much as run into these people once you're there.

UMass is part of the 5 College Consortium, so you can take classes at Hampshire, Mt Holyoke, Smith and Amherst, which is sort of cool...more access to more resources and stuff.

UConn is in a boring part of CT, but there's always stuff to do on campus and a lot of parties if that's your thing. (If it's not, from the people I know who go there, that's not a problem either). As there are no cars allowed on campus and no shuttles to take you from class to class you will be doing a lot of walking. You might be walking within 1 mile radius to go places (parties) at night, from what I've heard, but it's safe as long as you go with other people.

Actually- most colleges don't allow frosh to have cars so I bet UMass has this policy too. I don't know much about on campus activities, but frat parties are definitely big there.

I don't know much about UMass's dorms, but UConn's are hit or miss- there are crappy dorms and there are nice dorms. After you're a frosh, you're entered into a housing lottery. You may or may not get housing for your subsequent years (on-campus) and will be forced to look for housing on your own.

UConn's buildings (instructional) are nicer and newer; UMass are generally concrete.

By Km109 (Km109) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

If you are serious about engineering, UMass is the better choice, particularly Electrical, Computer or Polymer. The comments about $$$ going to campus are a bit off the mark, UMass has put substantial money into engineering faculty and infrastructure. You might also want to take a look at the number of grants UMass has landed recently, a good indication of the esteem they are held by those in the field. Good luck!

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

yea umass also ranked higher in the engineering area in the us news rankings. should i take those with a grain of salt?

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

if uconn is academically better than umass, why is umass ranked 51 and uconn is ranked 84 for engineering?

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Km109 (Km109) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

In this case, I would take the US News rankings seriously. UMass has taken in very large grant $$$ over the past 9 months. That will push the rankings higher in the future because those things are noticed by academic peers around the country. Amherst is also 100% better as a college town than Storrs. Unless you are picking a school by basketball teams (UMass ain't winning there), the social scene + academics in engineering put UMass way ahead.

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

alright cool, thanks for the input.

By Jsberting (Jsberting) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Uconn, men and women are 2004 Ncaa champs goto uconn because they have a good basketball team

By Quentinandreas (Quentinandreas) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

my post wasnt about basketball. if i liked basketball a lot i would definitely go. i clearly asked about the engineering programs and that is what it comes down to.

By Songman (Songman) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

We visited UMASS/Amherst not for engineering but the Commonwealth College honors program. All I can say is that I wish I was college age again to go to that school. The town is an awesome college town....I did not think the campus was ugly at all. They just got funds from state for renovations although their school was cleaner than a private school (42,000 a year) that we saw in NY state!I have never seen UCONN though....The resources far exceeded the 4 private schools that my son got into..(they are 42,000 a year) And we have learned after paying $80,000 for 4 years of private high school that private is not always better. UMASS/Amherst just received a 40 million? grant for some discipline in science/engineering. They have a new admin that will work to get the school on the map. Remember this, the middle class is getting black and blue from this college admin process from a fin aid point of view. I think there will be a resurgence in state schools allowing them to get more selective. I went to NYU and today there is no way I could get in....it jst wasn't as selective back in the 1970's-early 80's as it is today.I see UMASS/Amherst in that category -a up and comer! Why UMASS gets a bad rap is beyond me?.I wish I could have attended a university like UMASS/Amherst. Just a parent's humble opinion after a visit to the campus last Friday.....

By Cama (Cama) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

As I told Songman my son goes there and has had some terrific faculty. Through the Commonwealth Honors College he will be studying at Oxford this summer. Songman did your son make any decisions yet?

By Songman (Songman) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

We are appealing aid packages at Kenyon and Wheaton, MA -Skidmore laughed at us in so many words....Kenyon probably will also.....so UMASS/Amherst has moved way up the ladder! You see he shrugged and said."well the campus is ok,and it looks good" After we had lunch in town and he saw and old record and used CD shop that had some of the indy and obscure musicians he likes all of a sudden UMASS was looking pretty good.....I read a saying the other day, it read something like this: "reasoning with a teenager is like nailing jello to a tree"

By Takingiteasy (Takingiteasy) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Wats life at UCONN like? I haven't heard anything really on that and have heard a few negative ones tho.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page