Why is Dartmouth so unpopular?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Why is Dartmouth so unpopular?
By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

It seems like it's losing the popularity battle against all the Ivies....there are virtually no threads on it, and even less information. Is it because the grad-half is ranked so poorly?? Nobody at my school (Cali) even talks about it, whereas Cornell, Princeton, Harvard and even Brown are regularly talked about.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I do think that Dartmouth's minimal graduate offerings do play a role. I was discussing Dartmouth with my Statistics teacher when he asked, "Why would you go to Dartmouth? They have no grad school." He was obviously utilizing a bit of hyperbole, but his statement demonstrates that some people really become familiar with a school's name if they have many strong graduate programs.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

One reason is that it is the least accessible ivy. I have a friend who was jubilant when his daughter was accepted there. They live in western pennsylvania, and he now curses at the thought of any trip there, particularly the drive to bring her stuff back and forth. They have also been inconvenienced greatly by the bitter winter effects there.

Dartmouth also has more of a LAC flavor than any of the other ivies and seems to fit more in that category despite the fact that it is indeed a prestigious national university. For some reason, LACs are just not as popular with kids these days. They like the big univesity campuses or the big city environment. That can change, however.

I love Dartmouth. It is a personal favorite of mine Though I just might prefer HPY for the prestige factor, I think I would put Dartmouth third on my choices if I were in the market, right after H and P, followed by Amherst and Williams, my favorite LACS.

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I love Dartmouth! I didn't apply there but when I visited the campus, I loved the quiet New England LACs-atomsphere. This maybe due to the fact that I've lived in New York City for most of my life.

If I applied and were accepted, I'd go any give day!

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Yeah I noticed noone here ever talks about Dartmouth. Our val last year got in, very big deal to get in an ivy at my school.

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

there have to be more reasons besides a lack of big graduate schools that keep dartmouth a bit too unpopular compared to the other ivies...you know, some people don't even know that it is a school. others know it's a school, but don't know that it's an ivy. but there are also many people here who know of this school. but i too would really like to know why dartmouth is somewhat unpopoular...maybe because it's a small school?

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

who says it is unpopular? abunch of posters on cc?PLEASE! 12,000 apps for 1000 slots,stats keep going up,considered by many the BESTundergrad experience of all the ivies,fiercely loyal students and grads ranked in the top 10 in every ranking service,SPECTACULAR campus low admittance rate high yield,prestige and impossible to get into.what else do you need? if you dont want to go dont about 9000,others do!!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Ditto Hoping.

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

thanks hoping. you are right. i have to refute you on two points though. yes, they receive 12000 apps for 1000 slots...but they end up accepting 2000, which increases their acceptance rate by quite a bit. also, its yield is pretty low, lowest of all the ivies (i think). it's around 50%. and it's yield last year from RD acceptees was only about 38%. i have a post about this on the dartmouth thread (it's the last one on "dartmouth's acceptance rate is 18.3%" or something with that wording. please read it and tell me what you think). btw, i am a dartmouth ED acceptee. so i'm a huge fan of my big green and i love dartmouth, but those are just a few of the things that i really wonder about. thanks!

By Dartmed (Dartmed) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Uh... may be because humbeservant couldn't get in Dartmouth and/or because the ivy he is going to attend is ranked lower than the Big Green.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

But seriously, Dartmouth rocks!

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

damn right it does.

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

i'm just wondering...why do you think dartmouth's yield is so low (only about 50% while other ivies go up to 70% and 80%)?

PS...read my last and some of the other posts on this thread...http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?57277/59378
and tell me what you think. thanks!!

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

a 50%yield is extraordinary,any thing above 35% is considered great.look at dartmouths median sat scores,only h.y.p.are higher and they are all relatively close.if dartmouth suffers from anything i think its because it gets caught between being an l.a.c. and a university,not really small like an lac but not huge like some of the other ivies, soits a little mixed,that being said i think it just adds to the uniqueness of the place!it really is an amazing place unto it self.just say you are going to dartmouth and i think people conjure up images of a real ivy league school!wonderful unique even a little blue bloodish,but in a cool positive way.also because it is a bit remote you gotta want to go there because you are going for the school,not the town or other lures that sometimes sway people.but if you like GODS green earth you re home

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

sorry to post twice!but one other thing,a friend of mine is a headhunter at a top employement recruiterand he showed me a service that he said all the recruitment firms subscribe to called the brody report and it lists dart.5th,among all schools for prestige in job recruitment.i know stats arent all however these are pros who recognize dart. as a source for great targets

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page