Dartmouth or Brown

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Dartmouth or Brown
By Kato04 (Kato04) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

I've been accepted to both Brown and Dartmouth, as well as several LACs and other universities. I've gotten my list down quite a bit, but I am having trouble deciding at this point because I see many strengths in both Dartmouth and Brown. I trying not to go solely on prestige, however tempting it might be to do so.

I live very close to Brown, which I am currently seeing as a negative (though it depends on the day), because college is the time to break away, right? I live in a small town right outside Providence, so the main social scene is right around Brown. I am rather indifferent to the loose academic structure at Brown, but I like the liberal attitude. I don't really know much about it being a party school, though I have heard that from a few people.

Dartmouth seems like a good fit for me, though I am slightly concerned about the size of the town and being isolated. I am an outdoor-sy person, and they have a varsity equestrian team (but so does Brown) and excellent academics with some requirements giving more structure. I am a little concerned with the party scene and the reputation for being conservative though.

I'm visiting Dartmouth again soon, and I can visit Brown whenever. I recieved no money either place, so that's not a factor. I know a few people at both schools, and they all love where they are. I think I know what choice I want to make, but I don't want to regret it. Any opinions/comments/etc. would be much appreciated!

By Eskimo (Eskimo) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

Get out of RI and go to Dartmouth.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

im in the same exact situation! i don't know which one to choose...here are my pros and cons..

Brown

Pros: Open Cirriculum (they have counselours that give you a structure depending on what you want to do..i.e. go to grad school, etc..), better surroundings, more liberal, easier access to other places (NY, Boston, etc..), great academics, the neuroscience program, better percentage of sending kids to medical school (i think)

Cons: Open Cirriculum (it can be a bad thing as well), crime in the area, run-down campus

Dartmouth

Pros: Beautiful campus, private ski slope (!), great academics, parties, the name

Cons: Snobby students (or so i have heard), isolated, not that great of a record of sending kids to medical school (only 2% went from class of 2003)

thats all i can think of right now, and for me, Brown has the slight advantage..anyone else want to contribute to the list?

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

I'd pick Dartmouth any given day!

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

jolt21...about that med school rate for dartmouth, we need to confirm that somehow...

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

call them?

By Songman (Songman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

Dartmouth!

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

one more pro about Brown...they just started a program to revamp the whole school, appearance wise and academically..more teachers, more money, more facilities, etc...here is one of the articles.. click me! ...Simmons is doing a marvelous job..

By Dartmed (Dartmed) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

The % of Dartmouth grads go on to med school changes every year. However, 2% does not seem to be correct. 2% of a class of approximately 1,000 is 20 students. Each year, 6-10 of Dartmouth grads go to Dartmouth Medical School. Also, 2-5 go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UCSF, and UCLA med schools each year. If you add them up, around 20? How many med schools (just for MD) in the country? Around 125. Obviously, Dartmouth doesn't send grads to every med school in the U.S. However, I hope this little piece of info would help some of you.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Well I've heard that in Dartmouth many kids don't pursue pre-med, and maybe that's why the percentage is so low. I'm sure that if you are one of the people going for pre-med, you can definitely make it into Harvard/Stanford med no problem. Dartmouth's name will SURELY help you more than Brown's.

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

The Dartmouth ski slope is pretty nice, although it isn't "private." If you're a fan of the outdoors then it should be a definite yes to Dartmouth, but if you are a more urban yuppie-type, then it should be Brown. The environments are really totally different so you should try to do some searching and figure out what you value more. You're comparing two totally different schools and I would consider the environment much much more than "percentages of med school enrollers" or other irrelevant statistics.

By Fredmurtz2 (Fredmurtz2) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Brown's viewbook states that among people seeking placement into Medical Schools that the school is consistently in the top 5 schools nationally for people who place into med school as applicants from Brown just to correct the previous poster. But as Justice says,Pick the school where you see yourself the most. What you do at a school matters far more than the name of the school.

Dartmouth seems more tight-knit but it is also much colder than Providence. What do you think of the D-Plan? Dartmouth has pretty awesome food, but a dead town of Hanover. What do you think of Frats? How much is Dartmouth's rep as one of the more conservative schools strike you? Do you prefer Dartmouth's somewhat open core or Brown's New Curr? Dartmouth is on a quarter system, Brown is on a semester system. Neither are known in these parts for being snobby. Brown has I would think a more diverse student body. Dartmouth is probably among the safest schools in the nation. Would you enjoy outdoor activity or activist liberal endeavors more (yes, that is a generalization).

I just wanted to also note that Brown is generally pretty safe. It is on the east side of Providence [which is a pretty wealthy area]. I dunno, you might find the data from (http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Public_Safety/CCRindex.html) useful, though outdated.

Both are great and I wish you the best of luck.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

well if i should compare environments..then i can say i don't really like the outdoors THAT much..i mean the ski slope is cool and being outside every once in a while is ok..but i hate being outside for long periods of time (like camping) and i whenever i am bored, i never think to go outside..i like to go out to places (i have lived in cities my whole life)..so maybe Brown is better for me?

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

and i went to the Providence Mall last year..o man that place was amazing!! (yes, im a guy and i love shopping)

By Fredmurtz2 (Fredmurtz2) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I would think a guy who is happiest jumping into a secluded swimming hole or horseback riding or fishing or swimming would do better at Dartmouth. I know Dartmouth has their own cabins to stay at and a great Outing Club. I really didn't look very far into D's academics but they have a Native American studies program [something I would say is rare]. Both schools are decent with AP Credit.

I would similarly think a guy who is happier going to the movies [though a small theater does exist in Hanover], museums, orchestras, resturants etc etc 'life on the town' would be happier at Brown since the RISD-Brown cross-registration and Providence. Providence is 45m from Boston, Dartmouth is closer to Montreal than Boston [I think].

(Profound, I know, Heh)

Dartmouth is known for their excellence in teaching in Foreign Languages and they have a quite good study abroad program. Their D-Plan allows their students to field Internships unavailable to most other students because of the semester system. Dartmouth is way up there for
I-banking too. They do require you to spend Soph Summer in Hanover and I think it's just the class. Brown is very into A-Capella groups, not so much into Greek. D does have substance free housing.

I mean this is all subjective and gleaned from other's experiences. Dorms are nicer at Dartmouth I'm told.

Looking at the records, Hanover has at it's coldest month [Jan] a 29/9 hi/lo split. Providence has a 20/37 split. 44/70 in May v. 49/69. The weather is usually pretty similar although D is a few shades cooler paticularly in the Winter.

I think you need to decide

which climate you prefer? How you feel about the cirriculums? How you feel about the Greek System at D (D is pretty into alcohol as per PR]? Quality of Life issues? [Dorm, food et al. where Dartmouth repeatedly makes the PR top 20]. Diversity issues [if it is a factor]

Do you want/prefer a city or do you want/prefer trying something new? That said, If you are coming from anywhere outside the Northeast it is very unlike much of the country regardless of it being Hanover or Providence.

I'm not really informed about Dartmouth so well, but these are the vibes I got when they were on my list from current students.

Maybe revisiting both is in order?

I would imagine regardless of where you go, the depth of activities will ensure your passions are fulfilled.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

yea,it is tough, im visiting both for ADOCH and Dimensions of Dartmouth..we'll see what happens when i get there..thnx Fred

By Kato04 (Kato04) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Thanks for your help everyone! I've been thinking about some of the same questions that Fredmurtz2 proposed, and I am hoping that I get a better feel of Dartmouth when I visit. I really feel like I know Brown and Providence too well, like I have "been there, done that" (I used to like 5 mins from Brown, now I live about 20 mins away) despite the fact that I would probably rather be in a city than in Hanover, even considering the ski area, which is wicked cool. I think the problem is that I fall somewhere between the preppy, ourdoorsy, partier, frat/soroity stereotype at Dartmouth and the liberal, urban (though I don't see Prov as very urban), yuppie, hippish type at Brown. As for the med school stats, I am not currently planning on attending med school (interested in law school though) and I an trying to decide based on factors other than US News rank and such stats.

I am still pretty confused and undecided though; hopefully I can work it out soon. Good luck Jolt21 in making your decision as well. If anyone has other comments, keep them coming!

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

Definitely definitely dartmouth! my friend's brother went there adn adored it. it's got better academics and you get out of RI and go some place new!! It also has a bigger social scene while retaining the great academics. also very good supportive faculty

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page