U C Davis vs U C Berkeley

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: U C Davis vs U C Berkeley
By Rob25 (Rob25) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

I'm plannin on majoring in Econ and or Poly Sci.. I'm torn between UCB and UCD. I've heard nothing but great things from people at UCD, they seem to LOVE it there, but Berkeley is a more recognized school. I just don't understand why Davis isn't given much respect, it think it's an awesome school and it was honestly my first choice, but the I got into UCB. So I need some help in deciding what to do, any experiences, comments, and advice would be appreciated.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:11 am: Edit

Seriously go where you feel best. Both are excellent schools.

I know two people who are kind of in your same situation.

One girl who graduated last year (near the top of her class) chose davis over berkeley cause i guess she just liked it better.

My cousin (who was the valedictorian of her HS and graduated in 2000) chose Davis over berkeley too.

So you wouldnt be the first. But really look into both. right now im trying to decide between UCI (w/ a 7k a year scholarship) or spring admission to berkeley. Its really a tough decision because i have always wanted to go to berkeley but UCI would be good too.

So really i wouldnt go to berkeley just for the prestige (i like its prestige but i also just think id really like it there although i still need to visit) and Davis is an excellent school anyway (personally it didnt float my boat when i visited but it really is a good school with a great academic reputation.)

By Rana (Rana) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

The academics at both Cal and Davis are excellent, but their setting couldn't be more different. Obviously Berkeley, the city and the campus, are very different from Davis. It used to be that one big advantage Davis had over Cal was smaller class size and overall campus population. But today the undergrad pops at both campuses are about the same (over 20k at Davis, about 23k at Cal), so size should no longer really be a consideration. I went to grad school at UCB and taught at both campuses, so I see see the benefits of both. Even so, if you find the urban setting of Berkeley tolerable, esp if you find it exciting, then go to Berkeley. The overall academic environment there is just so much more challenging and amazing. I must say, there really is a reason why Berkeley is so highly considered. In short, I recommend Cal, but if you stay at Davis you won't go wrong (by the way, you can take classes at each campus, regardless of which one you decide on, through concurrent enrollment and a campus-to-campus shuttle).

By Rob25 (Rob25) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

up

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Rana, what was your major as an undergrad, and what are your graduate degrees?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page