Claremont-McKenna vs Pomona

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Claremont-McKenna vs Pomona
By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

From previous posts some people know my S wants to go to Pomona. He also got into CMC with 2,500 more finaid. he also got work/study at Claremont-McKenna but Pomona has on campus jobs for students for the same amount as CMC's work study. Both schools are a reach financially for us and we would be giving up lots of merit money at other schools for him to go there. The dilema is my S does now not even want to consider CMC. I think they are both incredible schools for him and he should consider them both. We have filed an appeal at Pomona to get more aid but I don't hold up much hope for that. What do folks here think. Is Pomona that much better then CMC.One of my S's teachers graduated from CMC and recommends it highly unless you get into Pomona. She did agree however that if you got significantly more money to choose CMC. We will be visiting Pomona next weekend and my S will spend the night. He saw CMC last spring (the first school he ever visited) and loved it back then. So did the whole family.Should i just give it up. I know it is his choice, but we are footing most of the bill.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

What are his academic interests?

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

I'd wait and see how his visit goes. The financial difference of about $10K compared to a total cost of about $160K doesn't seem that significant. Perhaps S could plan on working and saving money during the summers to cover it?

By Kalon (Kalon) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I would choose pomona--the atmosphere at that school is more relaxed and you want him to also have a balance of academics and fun. Besides, he can cross-enroll at CMC--thereby getting the best of both worlds. It is a known fact that Pomona Students have more fun than those at CMC.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Thanks Kalon. My son seems pretty set on Pomona though he has not of yet ever visited there. If his visit next weekend goes as he thinks then it seems it'll be decided. He wants to major in psychology and I'm hearing that Pomona is better for that. Are you a Pomona student?

By Kalon (Kalon) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

dpdKt, but Pomona was by far my first choice this year (got rejeg to choose from the UC's). I have to say, that when i visiteddsolutely LOVED it (and hopefully your son will too!). And ev? some5{ and the mountains are in very close proximity! Hope he likes it!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page