George Washington vs. Univ. of Maryland College Park

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: George Washington vs. Univ. of Maryland College Park
By Iceet (Iceet) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Which university would be better for pre-medicine, the George Washington University or the University of Maryland College Park? I am stuck between these 2 and cannot decide. Even though there is a HUGE cost difference ($44k vs $13k), lets put that aside for now and try to figure out which one is the better university.

By Cookie33 (Cookie33) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

GW..maryland is only known for their engineering

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

engineering? uhhh they are best known for business first of all.. then journalism.. then probably engineering

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

engineering? uhhh they are best known for business first of all.. then journalism.. then probably engineering

By Eskimo (Eskimo) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

Ridiculous Question. If you do well at either school you will get in to Med School.
Med School acceptance requires high GPA and high MCATS. If you perform well at Morgan State you'll get in.

By Iceet (Iceet) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

Don't medical schools prefer students who come from more selective and competitive schools?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

It really depends on what kind of medical school and what kind of program you want. If you are looking at research at Hopkins and Harvard, yes, the more selective and competitive schools will make a difference. But bear in mind that you had better get the top grades in those schools and get top MCAT marks and get some good research expererience. A strong mentor also would make a big difference.

If you are not in that calibre and you want to be a general practitioner and getting into a med school is your main concern you would be better off at a less competitive school that will nurture you and your goals to get into a med school, any med school. That is not an easy goal--take a look at med school accept rates and keep in mind that most schools accept pretty much only from their own state residents limiting you even further in choices.

It all depends on what kind of a science student you are or if you just want to take premed courses to get into med school. There is a big difference in the path you take.

Bothe Md and GW are excellent schools and my opinion is that the school environements are more important in making the decision than rankings between the two schools. U MD is the epitome of the American college campus experience, GW does not have a campus per se. Very different environments. If you want some Disney World in your life, U MD has all of those amenities. If you prefer the real life city--GW is the better choice.

By Drabrun (Drabrun) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

i say go to maryland. I'm going there too and the less computer engineering majors the more likely i wont have much competition :P.

all seriousness though, I only know that maryland is a top engineering school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page