EMORY vs DUKE vs UNC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: EMORY vs DUKE vs UNC
By Kcg04 (Kcg04) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I'm an african-american female from OH and I wanna go into business/finance. I've been accepted to these three and need help deciding. I haven't visited yet but I'll be doing that in a couple weeks...any feedback that isn't obvious would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

The visits will tell you everything you'll need to know to make up your mind. But if it were I, without visiting any of the campuses: Duke!!!

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

1. duke
2. unc
3. emory

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Business...go to UNC @ Kenan Flager school or something like that...it's rated as far as I'm concerned. Duke is more of a science/bio/medical research school...correct me if Im wrong.

By Kcg04 (Kcg04) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

But isn't Emory's b-school (goizueta) ranked too? I'm not sure how high though

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

At both the undergraduate and graduate level, Kenan-Flager (UNC-CH) is ranked in the Top 10 and Goizueta (Emory) in the Top 20 by both USN&WR & The Wall Street Journal. Fuqua at Duke was ranked in the Top 5 MBA graduate programs by USN&WR.

By Giants (Giants) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

According to US News Emory is 19 and UNC is 21 for business school. Don't believe that applies to undergrad though, where I think UNC is rated pretty high.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

2004 USN&WR -- undergraduate business:

1. Wharton
2. MIT (Sloan)
3. Cal Berkeley (Haas)
Michigan
5. NYU (Stern)
U-Texas (McCombs)
7. Carnegie Mellon
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
UVa (McIntire)
10. Indiana (Kelley)
11. Illinois - UC
USC (Marshall)
Wisconsin
14. Emory (Goizueta)
Minnesota (Carlson)
WUSTL (Olin)
17. Ohio State (Fisher)
Penn State (Smeal)
Purdue (Krannert)
Maryland (Smith)
21. ASU (Carey)
Michigan State (Broad)
Arizona (Eller)
Notre Dame
U Washington
Wake Forest (Calloway)

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

actually i missed your major. now i'd say
1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Emory

i understand that emory is ranked above duke in the us news report for undergrad business b/c i don't think duke has one, but choosing a college is more than rankings. you can always be an econ major from duke and get a more prestigious diploma and @ duke you'll at least have a great college experience - the social life/scholl spirit - opposed to emory.

but i think you really couldn't go wrong w/unc or duke. i just don't think you should go to emory over them for a bunch of reasons!

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Duke offers much more. Stronger alumni network. DUKE is a national school UNC much more regional.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I would choose Emory.

It has the largest endowment of those three schools and unbelievable resources.

It has very, very strong ties to a major business community in Atlanta. The internship opportunities would be terrific.

Atlanta has historically been THE city for a prosperous African-American community, successful minority businesses, and a very strong black political power base. Again the opportunities would be tremendous.

It's smaller than UNC, which is a plus, and I say that as someone who really likes UNC. I believe that it would be more "friendly" than Duke.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

i dont know anything about the other 2, but who ever said duke was more a science school is what im thinking and if you want the best possible education going to duke for non-science wouldnt be the best choice, but still a good one

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page