Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: EMORY vs DUKE vs UNC
By Kcg04 (Kcg04) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I'm an african-american female from OH and I wanna go into business/finance. I've been accepted to these three and need help deciding. I haven't visited yet but I'll be doing that in a couple weeks...any feedback that isn't obvious would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

The visits will tell you everything you'll need to know to make up your mind. But if it were I, without visiting any of the campuses: Duke!!!

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

1. duke
2. unc
3. emory

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Business...go to UNC @ Kenan Flager school or something like that...it's rated as far as I'm concerned. Duke is more of a science/bio/medical research school...correct me if Im wrong.

By Kcg04 (Kcg04) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

But isn't Emory's b-school (goizueta) ranked too? I'm not sure how high though

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

At both the undergraduate and graduate level, Kenan-Flager (UNC-CH) is ranked in the Top 10 and Goizueta (Emory) in the Top 20 by both USN&WR & The Wall Street Journal. Fuqua at Duke was ranked in the Top 5 MBA graduate programs by USN&WR.

By Giants (Giants) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

According to US News Emory is 19 and UNC is 21 for business school. Don't believe that applies to undergrad though, where I think UNC is rated pretty high.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

2004 USN&WR -- undergraduate business:

1. Wharton
2. MIT (Sloan)
3. Cal Berkeley (Haas)
5. NYU (Stern)
U-Texas (McCombs)
7. Carnegie Mellon
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
UVa (McIntire)
10. Indiana (Kelley)
11. Illinois - UC
USC (Marshall)
14. Emory (Goizueta)
Minnesota (Carlson)
WUSTL (Olin)
17. Ohio State (Fisher)
Penn State (Smeal)
Purdue (Krannert)
Maryland (Smith)
21. ASU (Carey)
Michigan State (Broad)
Arizona (Eller)
Notre Dame
U Washington
Wake Forest (Calloway)

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

actually i missed your major. now i'd say
1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Emory

i understand that emory is ranked above duke in the us news report for undergrad business b/c i don't think duke has one, but choosing a college is more than rankings. you can always be an econ major from duke and get a more prestigious diploma and @ duke you'll at least have a great college experience - the social life/scholl spirit - opposed to emory.

but i think you really couldn't go wrong w/unc or duke. i just don't think you should go to emory over them for a bunch of reasons!

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Duke offers much more. Stronger alumni network. DUKE is a national school UNC much more regional.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I would choose Emory.

It has the largest endowment of those three schools and unbelievable resources.

It has very, very strong ties to a major business community in Atlanta. The internship opportunities would be terrific.

Atlanta has historically been THE city for a prosperous African-American community, successful minority businesses, and a very strong black political power base. Again the opportunities would be tremendous.

It's smaller than UNC, which is a plus, and I say that as someone who really likes UNC. I believe that it would be more "friendly" than Duke.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

i dont know anything about the other 2, but who ever said duke was more a science school is what im thinking and if you want the best possible education going to duke for non-science wouldnt be the best choice, but still a good one

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page