Colby vs Bates

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Colby vs Bates
By Maiby (Maiby) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Is there is a significant difference between these schools? I got into both colleges and had originally chosen Colby as my top choice for the environmental program == but I am consistenty reading how friendly and nice the kids at Bates are... is there is a big difference in the student population? I would think the same type apply to both. (I got waitlisted at Bowdoin).. Also accepted to Colgate but have never visited there.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

You have to visit Colgate. After that, then you can decide among the three schools, but do not do so before going to the admit days at Colgate this month.

By Happykid (Happykid) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

I visited both Colby and Bates. I, too, found the atmosphere friendlier and more welcoming at Bates. Colby struck me as particularly preppie - much more so than Bates. Bates also seemed more diverse, although the statistics don't appear to be that different. (Maybe it's just that I had a hispanic tour guide. I dunno.)

I think Bates has a little more to do with the local communicty, too. Colby seemed so remote up on the hill - really removed from Waterton.

Good luck. Colby has a fantastic sports/athletic center, though!

By Maiby (Maiby) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

OK, thanks for your input. For my major area of interest (Environmental Science/Studies) I thought Colby seemed stronger - if I just went by that. Otherwise I guess I'd better get back up there this month for the final look before that deposit goes in.

By Batesmom (Batesmom) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Congrats Malby.... My d is a 1st year at Bates and loves it. She considered Colby, but it didn't really appeal to her. One BIG difference between the two- Bates is 30 minutes from Freeport, 45 from Portland. Kids can get to a Starbucks and shopping and restaurants easily, the school even runs shuttles. Waterville is really remote, and those long, cold Maine winters make kids need some diversion..... Beyond that, Bates seems to me a more nurturing environment. The kids are genuinely nice. I said something to my daughter the other day about some guy there being "nice" and she said "All the guys at Bates are nice...."
The sciences are pretty strong at Bates, I believe, and they have a lot of environmental courses. The other big difference with Bates is the senior thesis, and we just attended the "Mt. David Summit" there where kids present their theses in talks or poster sessions... it was quite impressive....Good luck!

By Tcolgate (Tcolgate) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

visit Colgate, i did a while ago and it was an incredible school

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Maiby, check out the Colgate website as well as the catalogue to see the enormous emphasis put on the environmental sciences in all the science disciplines. I think you'll be surprised at how prevalent it is. In addition, since you'll probably find this out when you visit, but this fall Colgate is breaking ground on a new state-of-the-art interdisciplinary science building -- which will be along with the new construction starting this month on a new ITS/library addition. Both should be up and running by your sophomore year. Also a new residential hall for 150 students is planned to replace an aging dorm.

Please make sure you visit the Colgate campus before deciding.

By Mundanesundays (Mundanesundays) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

wow...
i visited colby and bates. i absolutely loved colby, and really didn't like bates at all. people are always talking about how great bates is, but i didn't see it. the students that i met were friendly, but didn't seem incredibly intelligent. the admissions officer was dull as a post, and really, nobody seemed very excited about academics, which is what i was looking for in a school.
at colby, my tour guide said that she "drooled" over her professors' intelligence, and then got to go out to lunch with them. nobody seemed that excited at bates.

plus, a big thing about maine colleges for me is that they're in maine. at colby, you can tell that you're in maine. i didn't like bates's campus at all, and it seemed like it could have been anywhere in new england - there was nothing maine-like about it.

just my opinion.

By Caligirlatheart (Caligirlatheart) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I would take Colby over Bates.

But seriously, you really need to visit Colgate.

By Maiby (Maiby) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Thanks again.. not sure if I could run track for a Division 1 school (actually, highly unlikely) which is one strike against Colgate. I did sign up for an overnight for April 20th so unless I decide to head back up to Maine for a once over, I'll check out Colgate.

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

What is with colgate? Trust me, you do not want to be associated with toothpaste for the rest of your life (JK). None of these schools is well known in the West, but they are good. I would pick Colby, but someone was murdered at Colby this year. I live in maine, btw. Anyways, people here prefer colby over bates and bowdoin over colby

By Caligirlatheart (Caligirlatheart) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Someone was murdered at Colby this year?? Are you serious? Could someone please provide the details about this?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

It's on the Colby website. Very tragic. But here's an article about it from the Bates newspaper:

http://www.batesstudent.com/oct21/news2.htm

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Also, Confused86, about your remark about Colgate and toothpaste, it spawned a look at other colleges and universities -- and their "associations" -- check out this thread on the Parents Forum:

www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/70/56487.html

BTW for a couple of the schools you mentioned, it's:

The Colby Cheeses
The Bowdoin Arrows
The Maine Events

Enjoy the thread -- it's a lot of fun --

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Let me try that again:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/70/56487.html

It's called "A little levity. . . "

And for Bates, it's:

The Bates Fishinghooks
The Bates Motels (apologies to Alfred Hitchcock)

By Bobcat44 (Bobcat44) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

As a first-year Bates student who applied to many New England schools, including Bowdoin and Colby, I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my choice. I'm originally from Southern California, where a laid-back, surfer lifestyle doesn't mesh well with the often extreme "preppiness" found at many New England colleges.
When I visited Colby, I felt that the students were a bit too snobby and stuffy for my taste and that I had left civilization when I arrived in Waterville. The kids at Bates are so awesome, friendly, and truly engaged in their overall college experience. I really recommend Bates to you. You will find its academic offerings and overall community to be both challenging and extremely rewarding.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page