Cooper Union vs Carnegie-Mellon

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Cooper Union vs Carnegie-Mellon
By Jeduk (Jeduk) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I have been accepted to both schools (CU for Mechanical Engineering, and CMU at the Engineering and Science schools) I am not sure if I want to study Engineering, but assuming I do, can anyone offer any insight into the style of their programs, or variety? How about humanities departments? Campus Life? I dont really know much about either. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks
-Chris

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

The ratio of m/f at CU is 66/33 in favor of males. The people there I heard are kooky. As girls say at cooper union, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

are you crazy (jk)? Cooper Union is in NYC and is free. It is more respected and it's free. Oh yea, also it's free. Ha. Please make the right decision.

I've known people who turned down places like Harvard, NW, and UNC (full ride; almost) to get a free, prestigous education. Granted these kids went to academies (coast guard and 2 to Navy), but I fail to see a real difference. Go to Cooper Union.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

well, both are urban, but CMU is more balanced in the M:F ratios because of their excellent drama school.

By Sleepdeprived (Sleepdeprived) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION COOPER UNION!!!!!!!

*FREE prestigious education* NYC!!!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

"I am not sure if I want to study engineering" is a very dangerous sentiment to have as you enter Cooper Union. If you change your mind, you are up the proverbial creek at Cooper since it does not offer a whole lot else that you can shift over to. In fact, its only alternative is art and architechture, very specialized. Whereas at CMU there is a full liberal art college and business school along with a school of science where you can continue your education should you decide engineering is not your cup of tea.

Also, though Cooper Union is an excellent, excellent school, it does not have the amenities offered by CMU such as a full campus, many choices of housing, a full slate of activities, all of what I call the amusement park part of college. Yes, you do have NYC which is a draw--and my son who is a junior has his eye out for that. But you do give up that campus experience which is exclusive to US undergraduates that makes life so much easier in many ways.

Obviously, if the finances are a big issue, you cannot do better than the free tuition at Cooper Union, though living in NYC is not cheap, I will warn you. But if money is not an issue, I would think long and hard about being commited at age 18 to course of study. You kids change your mind an awful lot which is a wonderful thing, but to do so at Cooper Union can be a pain in the neck.

By Jeduk (Jeduk) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

k thanks for the info, im visiting both next week, and i hope to get some better idea then

By Toblin (Toblin) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

True, CU does not charge tuition. However, (direct from CU's website)

"...... mandatory student fee ($1,400 per year), room and board (about $12,000 per year), books and supplies (about $2,500-4,000 per year), and general living expenses (about $2,300 per year) totaling approximately $21,000 per year."

$21 grand a year is a long way from "free".

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Before you continue this thread, everyone should look at the thread "My parents are dumb..." on the Parents Forum.

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/70/61677.html

It will really put this question into perspective!

By verdraengen on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

By Verdraengen (Verdraengen) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Despite what you've read on the Cooper website, (which hasn't been updated in 2+ years) the 21k estimate is entirely inaccurate. They pad it, so you're not disappointed if it costs a little more.

I got in, class of 2008, for art, am going, and it's only going to cost me 9k for room and board, plus general expenses. Which, I plan on getting aid for and paying off on my own with a part-time job elsewhere in the city.

The expenses aren't at all bad. Especially for NYC. In all, I'm going to have to expect something like 12k in assistance from my parents, assuming I won't get aid.

(Cooper supposedly gives 100% of it's students aid, whether it's flat-out money, or work study... So I'm expecting something, whether it be a break on room and board, or 10 bucks for some pizza.)

-Heather

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page