UC Santa Cruz

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UC Santa Cruz
By Ginagee7 (Ginagee7) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Hi. I posted a message on here earlier today asking advice about my choices for college next year (UCR, UCSB, UCSC, and SDSU). So far, one person has replied and that person wrote alot about UCSC. I was wondering if anyone had any more info about UCSC or opinions/experiences they could share with me about UCSC. I don't know much about that school because it's not as popular as the other UC's. It's one of my options, so I'd like to know more about that school. I mean, I can only get so much info from their website and stuff. I'd really like to hear other people's opinions/experiences at UCSC. And any info about the other colleges I listed....I'm seriously cosidering UCSB as of now, but I change my mind alot so I don't know! Thanks.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

i'm flying up there to visit tomorrow morning, it looks awesome.

By Shoot4themoon (Shoot4themoon) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

i am trying to decide between the UC's too. I have vistited almost all of them so here is what I have noticed:

UCSC- not to be mean but there are hippies everywhere. if you are liberal and have long hair this is the perfect choice for you.
UCSB- beautiful campus on beach and a huge party school
SDSU- even wilder party school.
UCR- lots of asians and smog-infested

out of those colleges I think UCSB is the best choice. i am in love with the campus

By Falkster (Falkster) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

I'm going to UCSb also. I loved the campus and from what I've heard from past people that go there, it has really toned down on the whole party school image. UCSC is also a great campus but Santa Cruz is a really hippy city. I've spent a lot of time down there since I'm from the bay area and there is always some kind of demonstration going on there. I think that UCSB would be your best chioce also.

By Sfbbgurl (Sfbbgurl) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

Yes, UCSC has hippies. But who cares. Santa Cruz is a very political active community, with a lot going for it. In the past it didnt give out grades which has now changed. However, it still kept one of the best learning tools, evaluations. Your professors will tell you your strengths and weaknesses and really give you an idea of what to work on. From what I have heard graduate schools really like that factor of UCSC and admit a very high precentage because they get a much better idea of a student then just what a letter grade tells you.
Besides that, Santa Cruz is in a gorgeous location with redwoods and the pacific ocean. From my school, there are hundreds of students attending UCSC and trust me they are not hippies. They is some place to fit in for everyone.
I can't deny that Santa Barbara is in a gorgeous location, with the beach less than a mile away. It is truly the best location out of all the UC's, but I'd still consider UCSC. It's a great school, just aslong as you are NOT conservative!

By Dad_Ed (Dad_Ed) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

I visited UCSC a few days ago. The city is different than the campus itself. I was in campus for half a day and I did not see any hipis or anything like that.

I have a question and I hope someone can answer that for me. How is the econmoic program at UCSC? My S has a choice of UCSC and UCR and I would like to know people's opition on these two UC's. Thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page