3.5 at NYU?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: 3.5 at NYU?
By Simplicity (Simplicity) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

I was accepted into the Presidential Honors Scholars Program at NYU, which is giving me a pretty substantial scholarship. However, one of the requirements is that I maintain at least a 3.5 in honors classes... how difficult do you think this might be? That's between an A- and a B+... This will make the difference between me choosing Stony Brook over NYU. After scholarships, 6K/year X 4 years (Stony) = 1 year at NYU.

By Songman (Songman) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

I graduated from NYU- granted years ago ,but it was tough then...do you/parents have to pay any of the NYU education? or was NYU full scholarship? Stonybrook is state school right?

By Heretoassist (Heretoassist) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

NYU is considerably more prestigious than Stonybrook. It definitely costs a bundle, though. Do you or your parents have to pay at all for NYU? If you do end up unable to maintain that 3.5, would you be removed from NYU or have your scholarship revoked? Given any of that, I would still suggest taking NYU over Stonybrook-- if they should take away your scholarship, apply to take out loans. Yes, you may end up having a hefty sum in loans to pay, but you certainly don't have to pay that entire sum back all at once. It's a decent bet that as an NYU grad, with or without the Presidential Honors Program, you will be able to make a steady source of income which will enable you to pay off your montly loans. Best wishes, and tell us what you decide. :)

By Sparklinrose316 (Sparklinrose316) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

i was in the same situation..stonybrook or nyu? i ended up pickin nyu bcuz of the reasons stated and also I know too many people that are currently in Stonybrook or are going to go there next year. What decision did you make?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page