Distressed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Distressed
By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

I'm probably going to Tulane (WL at Wustl and Brown :()

I filled out their roomate finder questionare online. The options for how much you study were less than 4 hours, 4-8, 8-12, and more than 12. Is it just me or is the mere idea of studying any less than 15 hours a week absolutely abominable?

Shoot, what am I getting myself into? I'd like to go to a serious academic school where kids have lots of fun but also are really interested in/excited by and dedicated to their academics

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:06 am: Edit

The standard rule of thumb I heard most good profs and colleges go by is the "2 hour rule"; you should expect to study at least two hours a week for each unit/hour of lecture and labs you are carrying. So, for a 15 unit load, you should be studying about 30 hours a week outside of the class room. In reality some weeks the load will be less than that, but during others it will much heavier (esp during the end of the term). Add the class room time and you are up to 45 hours for "school" per week, I guess that's why they call it being a "full time" student...

By Scoo8b (Scoo8b) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

I'm in high school, but right now, the time I spend on homework and studying outside of school is less than an hour a week. (No, I'm not failing any classes, I actually have straight A's) I fully expect this to change once I get to college, and will adapt to whatever study time I need to get good grades. I feel lazy now though... :)

By Idonotcare (Idonotcare) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

i do not think you need to study as hard in college as in high school;
people do not have to go to classes everyday; there are not 7 classes a day; teacher never collects homework; notes is optional; grade is largely bases on a few tests(3 or 4)
This is based on my experience at Clemson U.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I think you do if you got a serious academic school. My concern is that Tulane may not be one.

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Oh come on!! College is completely different. The number of hours you will be spending in classes in university will be MUCH lower than the number of hours you spend in classes in high school!! Tulane is a fine university and I'm sure the students study as much as they need/want to. If you want to spend 15+ hours a week studying, you do so! It's very rude to say that Tulane, or any other college for that matter, is not a "serious academic school"... if that were the case it would be clased as a summer camp for adults and not as a college.

By Firsttimemom (Firsttimemom) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Tulane is a great school! My sister went there, with A average in a NJ high school. Very smart girl. Learned a ton, had a great experience in a wonderful city. Put down what you expect to study, and if your roomie is not a good fit at the start, put in for a change. Have a great year!

Firsttimemom

By Artemisnight (Artemisnight) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Well I think Arqilospsychi's concerns are 1.)that (s)he may not be able to find a compatible roommate because there is no option for studying more than 15 hours, and 2.)that Tulane may be more of a party/social oriented school. And there ARE schools like that, H0neymoon. And while the number of hours you spend in class overall might be lower, you are expected to work harder than you did in high school. I've done a lot of post-secondary enrollment during my high school career at our local university (Ohio University). I think it's on par with Tulane in the rankings, so I think I can help you a little. Basically you just have to choose classes carefully to make sure you challenge yourself the most. Take advantage of extracurricular opportunities (debate, Mock Trial, whatever) and if your roommate doesn't work out, you can always switch. People do it all the time. I hope that helps, Arqil. I know you're in a tough position, you have legitimate concerns. Let me know if I can help!

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Honeymoon: The survey didn't ask how many hours you spend in *class*. It was how often you study *outside* of class. And it's not rude. I'm not saying Tulane isn't a good school, and I'm not saying the students there aren't smart. I'm just wondering if it's got the work hard/play hard thing or the work hard/play harder.

My concern is really not about finding a roomate but about the school as a whole, and the students attitudes towards the academics. I konw that if I want to study a lot and take challenging classes I can certainly do so, but my concern is that I want to be surrounded by people who have the same attitudes, priorities and passion for learning. ya know?

Thanks for your help

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Argilospsychi could you give me the link to the housing app, I never got the e-mail with it.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

http://hrl.tulane.edu/roommate_finder/

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page