Is anybody familiar with or attending Dickinson or JMU?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Is anybody familiar with or attending Dickinson or JMU?
By Char (Char) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

My daughter's main criteria is that she wants to be near an urban area but she doesn't want to go too far from home. We're in Balto. She's currently taking the Princeton Review so I don't know where she's going to land with SAT scores on May 1st. PSAT only 110. Her high school is tiny so they don't do class rankings. Her unweighted GPA is 3.9 and she takes about half and half honors and cp. She's involved in extracircular activities and volunteers and has held a job for almost (2) years. So, Georgetown and schools of that calibre are out of the question. I'm really struggling with the urban thing. A sense of community and school involvement is important to her. I'm having some diffuculty finding both the urban setting as well as the beautiful campus, close relationship to professors, and the whole community spirit thing. Oh, and last but not least, she definitely wants a social scene and would prefer to have access to civilization. Even though Dickinson isn't urban, we're considering driving down next week. Also considering a visit to James Madison, even though again, it's not urban. Anyone have any personal knowledge of either of these schools or ideas in general. They'd be most appreciated cuz I'm sort of over my head here. Thanks in advance for any help and for bearing with me regarding the length of this post.

Char

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

Dickinson is a very good school. I visited with a nephew last fall. Languages, international business, history and political science seem very strong departments. Fraternities and sororities are a social factor. Impressive library. Not in a big city, but not in the middle of nowhere, either.

SAT results will help you identify a range of options. Stop back then and you will get plenty of suggestions.

By Char (Char) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:18 am: Edit

Thanks Reidmc - I appreciate your input and that's exactly what I'll do.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:16 am: Edit

Dickinson is beautiful and its library is excellent. I've been there; I lived there for three weeks as part of a summer program, actually. Dickinson is also known enough, especially in the Mid-Atlantic states. It's also not frighteningly selective like the colleges most people herebouts are considering. I think your daughter should check Dickinson out, certianly!

By Char (Char) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:35 am: Edit

Would you by chance have any idea of how much night life/social life there is in and around Dickinson? I realize being there in the summer may not have afforded you much opportunity to become familiar with that, but I thought I'd ask. That particular aspect seems to be a priority for her. I don't mean huge drunken frat parties but she is very concerned about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with very little to do and she's not thinking in terms of school clubs, etc. maybe because they were so "lame" in her high school. Sigh.............

By Mmm3 (Mmm3) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Does the greek scene dominate the social life? How does Dickinson compare with Gettysburg, F and M and Muhlenberg with regards to frat life? Thanks

By Roxypride18 (Roxypride18) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

james madison is great school. the people there are very friendly and the environment is just amazing. it seems as if there is always something to do there.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Check out Villanova... it's in a beautiful area on the main-line and is VERY close to Philadelphia. The school values grades much more than it does SATs. It has a catholic tradition, but my friends there aren't catholic and don't mind. It is highly regarded and very socially urban (ppl go into the city nightly).

Loyola College is also very close to the city and isn't too difficult to get into. I've been there to party a lot... it is a bar school, but there is a lot more Baltimore has to offer (as you probably know).

Any questions about it?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

It seems you're limiting yourselves, especially since you have time and there are so many other possibilities out there, some obviously better than others:

Schools with access to Baltimore, 2-3 hours away, and near or with access to an urban area:

Pennsylvania & Delaware:

Lafayette
Dickinson
Bucknell
Franklin & Marshall
Gettysburg
Villanova
Lehigh
Muhlenberg
Haverford
Delaware
St. Joseph's
Drexel
Temple
LaSalle

Maryland & DC:

Towson
Goucher
UMDCP
Loyola
GW

Virginia:

William & Mary
Washington & Lee
JMU
George Mason
Old Dominion
Va. Commonwealth
Richmond
Lynchburg
Hampton-Sydney

If you want to widen the circle by another hour, you increase your choices, especially if you're willing to go into North Carolina, New York and Ohio.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

I'd add Mary Washington College in Virginia to Collegeparent's excellent list-Great school, beautiful stately campus, low tuition, close enough to Fredricksburg and D.C. to keep things interesting.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

I'm debating between JMU and Tulane University. All things considered, Tulane will cost ME (my parents arent paying) about $7000 more per year (about 17000). Is the cost difference worth it for the reputation. I'm also in honors for Tulane so that also makes me wanna go.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:02 am: Edit

Depends on what you're majoring in, to a large part. Also, in the career you want, which degree has greater weight?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page