Genuinely Noble Cause that need help from you.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Genuinely Noble Cause that need help from you.
By Theak (Theak) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Iím finishing my second semester at college, but that really doesnít matter because this plea isnít for me, itís for my little cousin, who is going into her senior year of High School.

She is a very bright girl who attended a private school until she was 14, where her family could no longer afford to send her to a private school, so she went to a public high school, the same one I attended. But unfortunately, she did not take the transition too well, and although I know she is bright, her GPA does not reflect that. I have no clue what her GPA is, she refuses to tell me, but I can find out.

She is very disillusioned about life after High School, and I fear she may not have the motivation to keep her studies up at any local community colleges, and her parents do not show any interest in her scholastic future, so I have set out to, if nothing else, give her options after high school.

I am taking the next few weeks to train her as best I can for the June SATs, which I will pay for. Although I believe in her, we are not expecting anything above an 1100. She has however done many extra-curricular activities.
Such as:
Varsity Cheerleading,
President of Girlís League,
Various School Clubs, Committees.
Volunteers Bi-Weekly,
Shows leadership in activities.
No awards that I know of, or other outstanding recognition.

But after that, I am afraid; I donít know where she can apply?

So I ask you, where is there a university, with good professors, but also an admissions office, where they might understand her situation, and be sympathetic?

Is there a place, that might be able to see how well of a student, she could be.

Thank you,
For your help.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I suggest that you check first with colleges in her region. Often state and private 4-year colleges have special outreaches to local students.

One thing that concerns me is whether her parents have the $ to pay for college. I have seen students in the circumstances that your cousin is in who apply to college, get accepted, and then their parents announce that they have no $ for college.

To keep your cousin's future from being hurt by that kind of problem, also check out programs such as Americorps, which would allow your cousin got take a year off and earn $ to go to college. ROTC is another possibility.

And also have your cousin talk to her guidance counselor.

By Theak (Theak) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

I will look into that, but I don't think money would be a problem, although her dad isn't pro-active about her education, im sure he would be willing to pay for a public college.

Shes from San Diego as well.

I guess community college is looking like a good choice huh?

There is just this mentality that goes along, it feels (to alot of my friends who are attending community college) like an extention of high school, IE the social atmosphere that helped my cousin get in this situation to begin with.

I just want to make sure there are no other options for her, besides CC.

(I think the thing that worries ME about community college is that I have had about 10 or so close friends goto community college and 3 have already dropped out.)

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

Go to the Parents Forum and look at the thread "Good, but not Ivy Bound." Particularly search out the April 5 contribution by Carolyn that contains a list of colleges. You may find that a good starting point.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page