Entomology anyone?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Entomology anyone?
By Rinhvoir (Rinhvoir) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Initially, I wanted to go to UCD or UCR; figuring I'd major in Entomology as an undergrad. But THEN I got accepted into Berkeley & UCLA, which threw me completely off. (I didn't think I would get in, so I just applied for the fun of it.)

The thing is, now that I've accepted UCLA's offer, I'm wondering what I can do to still become an Entomologist later on in life. I mean, I'm more of into the study and field than forensics, but I guess things can change in a couple more years.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should/can do? (I live near Riverside so I guess maybe I can take courses during the summer? Hmmmm ..... )

Any ideas/suggestions, please give~

Thanks

By Cornellgrad02 (Cornellgrad02) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

you blew it...berkeley's integrative biology department has some of the top entomologists in the world...the only other super ent. places are Cornell, UCDavis, Ohio State and a handful of others...my advice, major in integrative biology and study systematics or some other evolutionary biology...if you know the techniques, you can apply them to a host of study organisms, be they elephants or insects.

By Firsttimemom (Firsttimemom) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

I went to UCD in entomology. Was a great program, some 23 years ago =). But we called the entomologists nozzleheads - they were way into farm chemicals....there was like one IPM course, but that has proably changed since then. At any rate:

You can do just fine where you are headed; study a basic biology/ecology progam; get good basics in botany, zoology, geology, chemistry....take all the odd interesting courses you can find that fit with your interests,find whatever systematics in botany and zoology and entomology you can take; then go to GRAD SCHOOL in integrated pest management.

You'll do fine! Hope this helps!

Firsttimemom

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page