UCSB, USR, or SDSU (need help choosing)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UCSB, USR, or SDSU (need help choosing)
By Volcomizedgrl (Volcomizedgrl) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

I just visited the UCSB campus over the weekend, but I am not too fond of it. I really like SDSU, but statistically UCSB is a better school, so I am kind of torn as to which school I should go to. I originally wanted to go to UCI, but since I haven't heard from them yet, I'm assuming I didn't get in. I'm and English (upper division transfer student) major. Any suggestive input would be good.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

SDSU, the campus is much nicer and there is no isla vista to contend with. But i'm super bias as i'll be going to SDSU next year, so perhaps you'd rather have input from others out there. Just ask yourself these questions, which campus did you feel the most comfortable at? What do you plan on doing when you graduate? Would it really matter if you had an UCSB degree because US news ranks it higher?

But on the flipside UCSB was my number one choice and they rejected me, this however was before I had even seen the SDSU campus and I was blown away by it.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I would say to wait for UCI to come or call them and ask them what your current status is. But if you weren't admitted, I'd say either go to Santa Barbara or San Diego. Riverside has nothing going for it. I think Santa Barbara would look better but if you like San Diego better than San Diego is also good.

By Polly (Polly) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

>statistically UCSB is a better school

is it? I mean, I thought in some rankings, UCSD is better than UCSB..

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Volcomizedgrl, what didn't you like about UCSB's campus?

By Volcomizedgrl (Volcomizedgrl) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

why didn't I like the campus?

partly because of the atmosphere, I think is too laid back, and I'm feel that there is a lack of stimulation. I couldn't give you a precise answer, but compared to the campus I have been on, SDSU and UCI, I prefer the two before UCSB hands down.

By Volcomizedgrl (Volcomizedgrl) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

why didn't I like the campus?

partly because of the atmosphere, I think is too laid back, and I feel that there is a lack of stimulation. I couldn't give you a precise answer, but compared to the campus' I have been on, SDSU and UCI, I prefer the two before UCSB anytime

By Snuffles (Snuffles) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

UCSB. You'll graduate in 4 years. Very important.

By Theak (Theak) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

This shouldn't even be a contest, SDSU, is not the university that you may have been pitched. I should know, I go there. It is in all honosty, a low-calibure school, at least undergraduate wise. The expected rate of graduation is in 5.5 years. The campus will have on going construction for the next two years, they are raising the tuition about every other month, this month its another 80 dollars for a pool.

I have visited both UCI and UCSB, I personally love both campuses. The only complaint I have heard about UCI is it is often boring, but most people really enjoy the atmosphere. UCSB, is a much better university then SDSU, without question. And you will graduate in 4 years, if not sooner, their professors are well-spoken for.

And regardless of how great a student you will be, SDSU has a dull party life (dispite its record.) And IV has a very friendly (almost TOO friendy) atmosphere.

But in the end, the choice is yours, but keep this in mind, transfers between UCs are much easier then transfers from SDSU. So you will live with your decision.

By Jdm (Jdm) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Does anybody know if the business program at SDSU is any good?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page