NYU advice needed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: NYU advice needed
By Shyinmidwest (Shyinmidwest) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

i have wanted to go to nyu for years, but now that i have been accepted i'm having doubts. i understand that there is not much of a campus or school school spirit or anything like that. i also understand that it can be a bit isolated at times, i just need to know to what extent we are talking. i am a fairly independent person. i like to do things on my own, but like anyone, i've always had really good friends to have fun with and i of course want to make new ones at school. i've grown up in a small city, but have always loved big ones. i've been to nyc four times and loved it, but i don't know if i'm romanticizing up in my mind. my friend lived there for a summer last year, didnt know anyone, and was as broke as they come, but she had a blast. this will be a huge change for me, and i want to know if im making the right decision. anyone who's had experience at nyu or with nyu or nyc, your thoughts or opinions would be wonderful. sorry this is so long, i'm just stressing out! haha thanks again.

By Spitoutalready (Spitoutalready) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I'm worried about the same thing, cuz I've been NYC once and i fell in love with it .. but what I'm going for they are the best in the country so I'm not going to pass up on this opportunity .. but just like you and me, i'm sure everyone from out of nyc are having these same questions and no matter where we go, we have to go by ourselves and eventually we're bound to meet people.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

if you cant make friends in nyc you are antisocial... dont listen to taht crap you hear on this boards

By Shyinmidwest (Shyinmidwest) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

this thing is though, that i do not make new friends extremely easily even over here in iowa city. its not that i'm antisocial, its just that i'm somewhat uncomfortable around people i dont know well. once i become more comfortable i am very outgoing, it just takes a little time. how will someone like me fare at nyu?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

i personally think nyu is doing a much better job accodomating to this... this will be the first year that all freshman will be dormed in freshman only dorms...so how hard can it be to make friedns, you will be living with like 500 others in the same boat as you and when i went to university day the guy said something liek 90% of the school stays on campus during weekends

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I think it's normal to have the doubts you're having. I had them last year. I was very familiar with the city and the school had been my dream since I was really young. My family has visited the city 4 or 5 times a year since I was about 12 and by 14 I was navigating my way around the city with friends on the subway, in taxis, and walking. I adore NYC.

Having said that, living here has been a HUGE adjustment. And I mean huge. I'm a very independent person who is outgoing and who makes friends rather easily. I knew the city well. I was at my dream school in my favorite place on earth. And yet, it was still a huge adjustment. I was horribly homesick, which was a huge surprise to me and to my family. I really didn't feel all that happy or comfy here until around Christmas.

Living in the city is fun but it's also rough. It's loud, dirty, annoying, crowded, and you're living in a room with a stranger who may or may not be a compatible person. There are tons of adjustments for everyone, even those who are familiar with the city. I think you need to give it some time and hopefully, it will work out fine. It's not a traditional college experience, in the sense that there's no green campus with football games on Saturdays and a self-contained feeling. It's pretty much living in Manhattan and taking classes.

My advice is to make sure you go to as many orientation events as possible. Get to know the city even before you arrive. Download the subway map and get a sense of how the city is laid out, if you're not familiar with it already. Maybe read the NYT or the Village Voice online. That kind of thing. Then when you do arrive, give yourself some time. Be patient. And keep in close touch with family and friends as support because you'll need it. Lastly, if you haven't visited, be sure you do that before committing. NYU is definitely not a school that will be the right fit for everyone.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

The problem with NYU isnt the fear of finding people like you, it's just the fact that you somewhat miss out on the "traditional college" life. What I mean by that is that you don't have the "quads" at NYU, or the wooded acre campus like Duke, or even more, the sports teams. NYU's college life is the "city" which makes one grow up a little faster than the rest of us. I went to CC for my first two years and now that I'm graduating, Im confronted with the same problem. Do I go to UNC Chapel Hill or NYU? I have already been accepted to UNC (by email) and I am waiting for NYU's decision which I think I have a chance, and I need to decide quick. Since I missed the first two years of the "traditional experience", my first choice is UNC Chapel Hill. It's ranked higher both overall and in journalism. However, the name goes SO far... Whatever choice I make, I'll be happy with it. You should be too

By Shyinmidwest (Shyinmidwest) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

thanks so much you guys....anyone else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page