Canadian Universities

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Canadian Universities
By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:29 am: Edit

Hello

Can anyone help me with this topic. Which are the most prestigous in engeneering(EE or whatever) in Canada. I cannot find such a forum as collegeconfidential that deals with canadian school syste. All help would be appreceated:D

Thank u

By Acennace (Acennace) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:00 am: Edit

Different from universities in US, the quality of universities in Canada is similar to each other. The difference from US universities is in its funding. ALL (yes, ALL) Canadian universities are funded by Canadian government. You can expect to receive the same quality in university studies anywhere in Canada. About prestige, I have to say UWaterloo has the edge for the MOST PRESTIGIOUS in engineering. Hope this helps.

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

Yes that helps!!Thanks

But how about tutition fees and so on. Is life in Canada expensive? How is it when comparing to American Universitie (like Ivy's)?

Thank you

By Acennace (Acennace) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

The tuition fee for international students in Canadian universities is considerably lower compared to the American contenders for the same reason as I explained before (government funding). The whole package (tuition + living expenses) is normally between US$20,000 to 25,000. The advantage of attending a Canadian university is that the courses are transferable to American universities.

Some Canadian universities have excellent programs that are considered to be equal (or close) to the quality of American Ivies. Ones that come to my mind: McMaster and UToronto for the business program, UWaterloo for engineering and math, Queens for biology, McGill for health-science and overall prestige, etc.

From my experience, decisions from universities in Can. come pretty late. If you're an international, expect it to come between March and May (I am in a Canadian school in HK and none of the students has received decisions from the univ. applied in Can except for this girl who got a letter asking her to choose the college residence she wishes to go to.).

More information in this website (annual report n ranking of Canadian universities):
http://www.macleans.ca/universities/

Good luck with your (future) applications.

By Matth (Matth) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

I know kids in the U.S. and in England who have already received their acceptances from U of T.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

i got into Western and Waterloo, but going to Cornell tho =)

By Sormuiyan (Sormuiyan) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Waterloo is definitely the most prestigious in engineering and computer science. I graduated from Waterloo myself, and I turned down U of T and Queen's for their offer. The program in Waterloo is very technical and intensive, be prepared to pull all-nighters very often. But the co-op program is unbeatable, I personally got internship experiences from companies in silicon valley, and I've had a few with very good companies in Canada also. And even though I graduated in the most awful year in terms of economy and the technology sector downturn, I've had no trouble finding a job after graduation. Go for Waterloo!

By Ent123 (Ent123) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I would exercise caution over automatically assuming that the University of Waterloo is the best for engineering (or electrical in your case). First of all are you 100% sure that electrical engineering in particular is going to be your career path vs. other disciplines? If not, keep in mind that more underrated universities such as Queens or McMaster have a common first year program that allow you to make a more accurate decision after being with the programme first hand, and although not guaranteed, you have an almost certain chance of making it to your pick of discipline after your first year (in Queen's case they haven't declined offers in the history of their faculty but reserve the right to do so).

Co-op isn't unique to Waterloo either. McMaster and Carleton have co-op programmes (though optional) and Toronto/Queens have their internships. And I wouldn't necessarily assume that EE itself in other universities is necessarily inferior to Waterloo either. Toronto's is considered to be more academic vs. applied in comparison and has the largest range of elective courses in their Electrical/Computer Engineering department compared to any other university in Canada. This allows Toronto to go pretty deep into areas that aren't part of traditional electrical curriculums (ex. photonics, bioelectricity). And an American ranking, the Gourman Report, ranked it as #1 in Canada (though I personally don't find that report to be trustworthy, it shows that someone else besides Waterloo is ranked #1 by some Americans at least)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page