Pomona v. Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Pomona v. Cornell
By Ramiman (Ramiman) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

I'm facing the following: Pomona vs. Cornell, the age-old "happy, small California liberal arts college" versus "prestigious, upstate New York Ivy League" question, because I know both institutions will likely be on par with one another academically. Tough decision, for which I don't feel we're given enough time.

My current guess, and it's a very vague and tentative one at best, is that I might like to major in Psychology or Sociology. However, my general area of strength is in the humanities, writing and such. Any insight?

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

As for Pomona, the humanities are fantastic, and there is a recently constructed 100-million dollar sociology and anthropology building, which will be nice to have classes in. Also, I hear that almost all of the psych professors are great, and they are planning on building a new cognitive science building for the psych department that should be finished in three years. You will probably get more personalized attention at Pomona, since it is a LAC (At Pomona, 79% of classes are under 20 people and only 1% are over 50; At Cornell, 43% of classes are under 20 and 25% are over 50). Cornell is more well-known, however, and you might get some blank stares when you tell people where you are going. Finally, there is actually a real college town at Cornell, and not so much at Pomona (which is in quiet suburb Claremont), but at least you always have LA.

Btw, there is another thread that you can check out in the College Search and Selection Forum about deciding between Pomona, Cornell, and Williams.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page