Classic Decision Help: UCLA or USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Classic Decision Help: UCLA or USC
By Banderfore (Banderfore) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

narrowed it down to these two - at USC got into the Business Admin. Major at Marshall and UCLA Pre-Business Economics

i'm hoping to double major and i hear that it is fairly easy to do at USC and they encourage it

just looking for benifits and drawbacks from each school i'm not sure if i'll be getting any fin. aid but it might make a difference and we didnt turn the papers in til late so i wont find out til late which is a bummer

oh yeah another concern - UCLA only accepted like 3900 kids this year... a 9% accept rate while berkeley accepted the usual 9000 24% rate - anyone kno whats going on?

thanks

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

OK, watch out- hopefully this won't get dirty. :)

I'm just going to state the non-biased facts that I know of.

First of all- do you want to do economics, or are you looking for marketing, advertising, or another business aspect? If you don't want to focus on economics, then I would say USC would be best for you in that aspect since UCLA doesn't have really have a business school.

USC does encourage double majors, and offers large scholarships to those that double major.

Good luck with your decision! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

just to let you know

ucla not just accepted like 3900 kids.

ucla EXPECTS 3900 applicants will ENROLL

By Ghewitt04 (Ghewitt04) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

No, UCLA accepted 9-10000 kids; they had 3900 SPOTS, but only about 40% will actually attend. I'm guessing you got your info from either your acceptance letter, or someone else's rejection letter that said something like.... "UCLA had 40000 applicants for only 3900 spots". That data is misleading because they accepted like 3 people for every "spot" anticipating that only 35-40% will attend. Phrasing it as they(and every college) did in their letter is intended to make the rejects feel better about the rejection and the acceptees feel better about attending.

As to which school you should attend: if you were majoring in something science related I would give the nod (slightly) to UCLA; but for anything business related, Marshall is far superior to UCLA. Academics aside, USC has a much better social life, better school spirit, better alumni, and a better football team. Just my biased $.02 as I will likely be Trojan next year!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page