To go to law school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: To go to law school
By Xbloodlossx (Xbloodlossx) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

what undergrad degree do you need? is it any? my friend said it was criminology... none of the websites i have gone through have indicated

By Yep (Yep) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

you can study whatever you want undergrad, but most preferably something that develops communications skills and such...

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

My uncle studied Philosophy and ended up very successful at Columbia Law School (graduated second in his class). Other schools offer such courses as "Jurisprudence" so that might help.

-Jesse

By Xbloodlossx (Xbloodlossx) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

what about communications, or semiotics?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Avoid communications if you want to go to law school. One (UT Austin I believe) explicitly said that they would view that major as not being rigorous enough.

Law schools do accept people from almost every major. You need one that develops writing, analytical thinking, and communication skills (and probably in that order). Engineering, philosophy, and classics majors tend to be the most successful in law school.

The most common majors of people in law school are things like history, poli sci, and English.

When you get to college, talk to a pre-law advisor, who will be able to go into more detail on appropriate courses.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

communications is a good major if you take it in a school that knows how to teach it...a good communications program emphasizes the analytical thinking, communication skills, clear and condensed writing that is need for law school

By Xbloodlossx (Xbloodlossx) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Il|matics, what schools would you recommend? I have been looking at poli sci and english too but I like communications better, it just seems more interesting :)

what about cornell or berkeley?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page