UCs v. Pomona

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UCs v. Pomona
By Jrlg86 (Jrlg86) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Well... the decisions are in and now I have to make some choices of my own. Rejected from Harvard. Expecting a rejection from Princeton in the mail on Monday.

Here are my top choices (also got into UCI with Regents, UCSB with Regents, UCSD, Northwestern, and NYU Honors Scholars Program):
1. Pomona
2. Berkeley
3. UCLA

Waitlisted at Stanford.

I'm planning on majoring in International Relations (I think Peace Studies is what they call it at Berkeley) or Political Science. I know that Pomona and Berkeley are like night and day in terms of schools but I'll give you a bit of background.

In the classroom, I'm a total LAC student. I like to converse with my teachers and get to know classmates, which is why I applied to Pomona. On the other hand, I'm also kind of a city kid. Regretfully, NYU seems too expensive, even with the merit scholarship I got... But schools like Berkeley and UCLA both seem to fit that ticket.

I'm not going to use your opinions as the final word in making my decision... but some feedback would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS... a lot of stuff happened this year and I think i may have a somewhat viable chance at Stanford with my waitlist appeal... no guarantees, I know. If I were to get in, would you advocate it for undergrad?

By Jrlg86 (Jrlg86) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

Pomona is the best. You will get the best education possible, a lot of interaction with students and proffesors, and LA is a short car ride away. And it has super grad school acceptance rates.
Berkeley is very crowded, and they treat you like a number.
Unless money is a real issue, I would for sure do Pomona.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

If you are "a total LAC student," I'd go to Pomona. You'll hate the environment of an enormous school like Berkeley or UCLA. You can always bring a car and drive down to LA as much as you want at Pomona.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page