College Visits: How will you manage?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: College Visits: How will you manage?
By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

I'm getting frustrated about arranging college visits. How are you guys planning on squeezing in your "admitted students days", especially when they coincide with one another an are all over the country?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

That is a good question. I think it depends on certain circumstances. If this is your FIRST visit at these colleges, then it can be quite problematic. I realize it is too late for this advice but I truly believe it is important to visit the schools before this point....preferably before applying. If you did that already (admittedly we did), then the situation is different. Someone who never saw the schools before, MUST see each one now.

For those of us who have seen the schools already, it is still fruitful to return again before making this important decision. Also the open houses afford an opportunity to meet up with other admitted kids and feel that aspect out as well. I think, however, cause of severe time constraints, the child has to narrow the list of admitted schools down to the ones he/she is seriously considering matriculating at. Again, this is harder for those of you who have never yet visited the campuses. But for those of you who have, I think your child should be able to narrow his/her list to the favorites under consideration. My daughter has done that and picked three of her admitted schools to go to open house at. I realize your point about the coinciding with one another and being all over the country. We lucked out partly cause they are not all over the country but all are in the east, so that helps. Also their open houses seem to dovetail pretty well shockingly, so it is doable. Add to that, most of the open houses take place during our vacation week, except one is right before. She may have visited a fourth fave on her list but got waitlisted so we do not think we will go to that open house, even though she is staying on that waitlist.

I do not have an easy answer. If your child has visited before, then narrow down to just two or three favorites to return to. Another thing is, he need not go to the actual open house days and in fact, if it is a FIRST visit, more can be accomplished in terms of appointments if there are not hordes of visitors on campus. The open houses are good as second visits though. Good luck as it is a crunch to be sure.

Susan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page