CMU vs Penn for CS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: CMU vs Penn for CS
By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Ahh, I know, another which school message, but hey, I gotta ask someone ;)

so i've been accepted into CMU SCS and Penn SEAS and I plan to major in CS. I know CMU has by far the better CS program but I was also intrested in business, making Penn the standout choice.. so basically, i'm confused beyond belief! lol. so anyone (especially current students of eitehr school) have any advice for me? BTW, I'm looking for a campus with a social atmosphere.. I work hard and definitely strive to get good grades and such, but i'll go crazy if everyone stays locked in their dorm all day!

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

anyone? bump bump bump!

By Ojo2 (Ojo2) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

CMU- they have 1st pick in jobs

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

are you crazy? In CS, CMU is on the level with MIT and Harvard. CMU's buisiness school is great too.

And at penn, if you want to go to wharton, you have to apply with all the other transfer applicants, so you would have no advantage going there if you were not accepted to wharton

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Both schools have excellent business programs. I do not know how Wharton coordinates its courses with the rest of the university. That might be something you research. Some colleges limit courses in their internal schools to their majors. Though neither school is known for its great social scene, Penn has it over CMU by far. Due to its extensive tech programs and the type of students CMU attracts it is definitely a study first school

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

See my dilemma however is that while CMU obviously has the academics, the social scene at CMU is rather.. well.. Dead! I stayed for a weekend and from what they were saying, not too much goes on on the weekends.. the occasional big party isn't really so big and friday nights are pretty much non existant.. and i'm not sure if I want to spend the next 4 years of my life studying constantly! Penn seems like much more fun but at the expense of losing out on some education.. ahhh!

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Mnasy, you seem to have already have very strong opinions. Penn has a good social life, but also really good academics so i do not see how you can go wrong. Do further research on UPenn or go to admitted students weekend and really see if you like it and sutff. Penn seems the better option for me for you. Are you getting any aid from either school?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

I am with Iluvtoshop. Without finances in the picture, go with your preferences. Both are excellent schools, you cannot lose.

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Yes, I'm getting scholarships to both, but about $6,000 more from Penn.. it works out to just abuot half from penn and only half tuition (about $15,000) from Carnegie.. that's also another factor.. lol, I guess I can always go get my masters at CMU ;)

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

any other opinions? especially from current/former students?

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

bumpppp

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page