Santa Barbara vs. Irvine

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Santa Barbara vs. Irvine
By Madsam (Madsam) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

I've been able to narrow my college descisions between two schools: UC Santa Barbara under Computer Science and UC Irvine under Aerospace Engineering.

I've been to accepted student receptions for both schools, and found Santa Barbara more impressive academically. What concerns me about SB, however, is its reputation for being a party school. I want to go to college to earn a degree and then go on to a prestigious grad school...

I know that I'm the type of person who gets easily distracted, and I don't have a lot of confidence in my will-power. That's why my gut feeling is telling me to go to Irvine, which isn't as good at engineering, but isn't a place where students get drunk "6/7 nights a week" as someone else on this forum put it.

If anybody has any advice for me, please post. Descisions are coming up soon and I'm desperate for some kind of counsel.

By Imd (Imd) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Well there are different types of distractions... Irvine is a big city full of distractions. I personally think SB gets a bad wrap with the partying thing. You can find parties 7 days a week at every college in america. It is about what you choose to do.

If your gut tells you Irvine...

They are both great schools. Good luck!

By Madsam (Madsam) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice Imd. I understand that distractions are available on every campus, but from what I've heard, distractions are an extreme at Santa Barbara. Being socially accepted is very important to me, and I don't want to go somewhere where I'll be an outcast for not partying hard all the time.

Don't get me wrong... I have nothing agaist the occasional party (or drinking for that matter), but I can't let that get in the way of succeeding. At Irvine, getting drunk and high is possible for those who seek it, whereas it's social norm at Santa Barbara (according to surveys and the accounts of current undergrads and alum). If I'm somehow wrong or am not getting the whole story, feel free to correct me.

bump

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Having lived in Santa Barbara my entire life, i feel like UCSB's party rep is way overrated. Yes, there are big parties. No, they aren't every single night of the week. If you live on campus, you aren't going to have the huge drinking issues that occur out in Isla Vista and such (and even there it's mainly contained to weekends and holidays).

I really didn't like Irvine's campus when i was there for a research conference, i felt like it was in the middle of nowhere and way too hot/desertish for my likes.

Ultimately, it's your decision. Go with you guy instinct, but make sure that's based on YOUR ideas, not someone elses.

By Fuzzymittens (Fuzzymittens) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Haha, too hot/desertish? I live in Irvine, its the greenbelt of orange county. No idea what you're talking about.

Ultimately, SB is going to be more party-ish and Irvine is not, whether or not it is an extreme difference.
Its up to you to decide if you have the will to avoid that type of thing at SB, it WILL be easier at Irvine.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page