Any thoughts about University of Washington?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Any thoughts about University of Washington?
By Inquiry76 (Inquiry76) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

My son is strongly considering the U of Washington. Does anyone have experience there? Major would be Architecture, et al. Thanks.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I can offer some comments, as I've lived in Seattle for the past 21 years. I have many friends whose kids go there and like it. A friend of mine just graduated from their master's program in architecture and he liked the program. He spent one semester in Italy.

It's a huge school, big Greek system, huge classes for basics. They have financial problems, problems in the athletic dept., new president just selected. It's harder to get in now than it was. One problem is that many of the majors are hard to get into and you don't apply till the end of the soph. year. You can check to see if arch. is one of those majors.

Are you out of state or in WA?

By Caseyatbat (Caseyatbat) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:49 am: Edit

I am an alum of the U-Dub, and presently have two children attending there. Both of them have had exceptionally positive experiences thus far.

Unfortunately, I do not know anything about majoring in architecture, as it is not an interest of either of my kids. As Bookiemom stated, some of the majors are very competitive, and acceptance into a major is certainly not guaranteed. You might check the UW website (Arch. dept) and/or call the school for more info on that.

Both of my kids LOVE Seattle, have found a myriad of activities to become involved in-on and off campus-, have been challenged by the academics but not overwhelmed, and really seem to enjoy all aspects of their life in the Northwest.

Best of luck.

By Inquiry76 (Inquiry76) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Thank you both for your response. It appears the Arch. is one of those majors that one must apply to after completing the first two years of a core LA curriculum. Not a bad plan as long as the student can be accepted to their major of choice once they have completed the first two years.
We are visiting on Tuesday and look forward to seeing the campus...the city...and talking with the department.
Yes...we are from California.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page