Airplane Tickets?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Airplane Tickets?
By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Hey, now having been accepted to some schools I'd consider going to, I'm finding that it's a LOT harder than I thought it was going to be to make a decision as to which school to go to. I'm from MN and would like to visit Cornell and Wellesley, but plane tickets cost SO much.. I've ripped apart like fifty college guide books and still can't decide between Carleton, Wellesley, and Cornell, none of which I've actually been to during the school year. I plan on majoring in Psych but it should have an equally good bio program. I plan on going into med.. I know with Wellesley, it's got some sort of thing with MIT so I could take science classes there, although I'm not really quite sure on all the details so if you know, please fill me in. Besides the obvious, school size, location, etc., I already know all three schools would fit me decently.. so what to do?? gah

By Laxgirl04 (Laxgirl04) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

well if you are from mn, you could easily go visit carleton -- drive and do it. carl is a great place, but youll be dealing w/ mn weather for 4 more years. its a really cozy stimulating place tho.

cornell and wellesley seem much more competitive. wellesley you can cross-register w/ mit. hmm.

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Tennizpro have you tried contacting the schools and explaining to them your situation. THat you would love to visit since u were admitted but financially its a problem, because many schools offer to fly you out. Check it out!

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

whoa wait, what? i think financially, we wouldn't go broke if that's what you mean.. i come from an average ($90 thous) family income and carleton's the only school that's offered ticket reimbursement but we are planning to drive up there anyways :)

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

oh no no no..I know plane tickets are quite expensive this time of year considering the amount of people traveling for vacation and stuff. But i was saying to call the schools and ask them if they would be willing to fly you out so you can see the school.

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

My daughter decided that she wants to visit CMU. We just got a last minute weekend deal between NY and Pittsburgh from Travelocity that included airfare and hotel. It was much cheaper than anything I could find on Orbitz or through the airlines themselves. Look around for last minute package deals; I'd suggest trying Travelocity first because that's where I was lucky enough to find one that works for us. Good luck!

By Matth (Matth) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Yeah, not many schools are going to fly you out to have a look unless you're a part of their scholars program or some such. That's not realistic to expect them to do that. Check out travelocity or expedia and I'm sure you could find a cheap ticket to Boston then you could rent a car, take the bus, etc. to Ithaca to see Cornell after visiting Wellesley. I'm of the opinion that it's a big mistake to choose a school without visiting. The cost for a trip is miniscule compared to what the cost of a four year education is and the importance of being somewhere that you'll be happy.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

yeah i was hoping to travel to cornell from boston, but i leave boston on sunday, easter, so there aren't any greyhounds or anything. i'd have to stay another night, which isn't possible.. ahh.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page