Help with Search (specific departments)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Help with Search (specific departments)
By Patches (Patches) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

I have had difficulty determining which schools excel in certain departments. Could somebody either direct me to a place that deals with this or, if not, list what you'd consider to be the top few schools in the one or more of the following departments (undergrad):

History, Psych, Poli Sci/Government, Economics

Thank you.

By Patches (Patches) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Anybody?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

What are your stats like? There are actually many good schools in those areas but there's no sense in posting them all without idea of where you'll be aiming stat-wise.

By Patches (Patches) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

They're fine (4.5 gpa/4.0, class rank 2 of 850+, don't know test scores yet, but I feel that I got a 1500+ on the 3/27 SAT, involved in school, community service hours, steady job). I'm looking at the very top schools and trying to begin making a decision.

By Patches (Patches) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

I have seen the rankings of the Gourman Report, but it seems like some of those are ranking grad programs (besides the fact that the Report's reliability is questionable). That's why I'm asking you people. Is there any place better than that?

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

I would suggest, probably becacuse I'm biased, the University of Chicago. It has an amazingly well reputed Econ department and an equally respected History department. Political Science here is strong as well with many of the senior lecturers at the Law School doubling as Undergrad Profs. I don't know anything about the psych department.

I was interesting in history for a very, very long time (I've since switched to political science and the u of c's version of pre-law) and, in addition to the U of C, Columbia was at the top of my list. It has, as I've been told, a top notch history program and a good PoliSci program as well. I don't know about econ or psych.

A college tool you may want to try is: http://broaderminds.com/index.jsp

It's a site where current students give reviews of sorts about their schools. I found it very helpful when I was searching for that perfect school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page