Hopkins/Cornell/Dartmouth for engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Hopkins/Cornell/Dartmouth for engineering
By Szcax (Szcax) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Hey, I'm trying to decide between Johns Hopkins, Cornell, and Dartmouth for Engineering. Although I know that Cornell has the strongest engr program between these three, I'm hesitant to apply becuase I have one sibling who already went through the Cornell engr program, and I'd rather go to a college where I can discover the place on my own. I also find the JHU and Dartmouth surroundings more appealing than Ithaca.

Is the Cornell engr program so vastly better than at JHU and Dartmouth that I should just suck it up and go? What do you know about the engr (EE, in particular) programs at JHU and Dartmouth?

I REALLY loved the Dartmouth campus when I visited it, but I'm also concerned at the high level of drinking at Dartmouth and the stereotype that it is a country club for rich overpriveledged kids who are generally apathetic to actavism and politics (princeton review).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

By Szcax (Szcax) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Dartmouth's Thayer school of engeneering is really good. It's small and you'll have a lot of personal attention from facutlty and other students.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I had a friend graduate from JHU engineering dept a few years ago. I haven't talked to him in well over a year but he loved the school and campus life in Baltimore. JHU's engineering is top-notch. Dartmouth's program is small (too small in my opinion to suit your engineering needs). Cornell's is also pretty good. I'd narrow your search down to Cornell and JHU. Your interests in EE may change. Maybe you'll want biomedical or Chemical or mechanical. It's really hard to say what the next year will bring. Maybe talk to Siya (Sunshine916). She got into JHU and Cornell for engineering and she knows more about their programs than I do.

Pick the school that will offer you the most options. Dartmouth engineering just doesn't compare in my opinion ...

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Cornell's engineering is the best of the three you are thinking about. I was considering Dartmouth at one point, but the program is wierd. You have to look at it closer. You dont get a BS in a certain type of engineering, and if you do want the BS, its another year with just general. I'm probably wrong on the specifics, but thats what I got from it. JHU is great for BIOLOGICAL/BIOMEDICAL engineering, but Cornell is really good there too (though I'd say for med-related stuff, JHU gets the nod).

Also, dont rule out Cornell b/c of Ithaca. Ithaca is a really cool, college-oriented town. And Hanover certainly isnt much better :-b.

By Szcax (Szcax) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Wow! Thanks! I've visited Ithaca a lot (10 times?) and while it's nice, the idea of being in the bustle of Baltimore or being in the nature of Hanover simply thrills me.

Although I'm not 100% sure Electrical is right for me, I'm AM 100% sure that I don't want to do biomed, so I'd be looking at only the non-biomed schools of engineering at JHU.

Thanks for the reference, crazyandy!

Heh, also looks like we've got polarized opinions on the quality of Dartmouth Engineering. I've looked at the website, and, yeah... it's weird. I think I'm gonna have to start a thread in the Dartmouth board, see what ppl think.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page