Rejected by all colleges_____what to do now????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Rejected by all colleges_____what to do now????
By Mit1986 (Mit1986) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:12 am: Edit

I have been rejected by all colleges. Help me
Which college is good for me now.

Possible major: Physics
International student.
Can pay about 4000/year.
SAT score,: 1270(730math)
SAT2: 760,710,710.

I dont know about any college which is good for physics.
Can any college give me full ride now????

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit

Try to go to a state school. If not, go the alternate way to CC... It's not the end of the world. You may come to notice that going to CC was the best choice ever. Then you can RAISE your grades or whatever and apply to the same schools.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:03 am: Edit

Mit1986, I am so sorry you have been disappointed. I believe this happened to someone last year and that the board told him about schools that accept late applications. I think this child ended up at Rutgers and was very happy about it. There is a list of schools that accept late app's. I am sure one of the veteran posters will help you. Best of luck!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

Do you live in the United States or do you live abroad?

If you live abroad, I think it would be very hard to find an American college that would give you an acceptance -- and the amount of aid you need -- at this late date. Are there colleges in other countries that you still can apply to and can afford? In some countries, even for internationals, college is cheap and you'd basically just have to pay living expenses.

If you live in the US, I suggest starting out at your local community college, and then planning to transfer later. Your international status combined with needing lots of aid will prevent your attending many American colleges. Your scores are decent, but your aid requirements are high, and many colleges simply will reject candidates like you. If you were a US citizen, there probably would be many more options.

By Kimberlee (Kimberlee) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

If you have any interest in the aeronautics field, Florida Institute of Technology (near Cape Kennedy) is the "safety school" frequently chosen by Florida students who got admitted but can't afford to go to MIT, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, Rose-Hulman, etc. They have rollings admissions and you can still apply online. Their undergraduate program offers courses in FAA commercial or private pilots license, in case you want to learn aviation while in college.

By Priglet (Priglet) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

Pitt is still accepting applications as far as I know--and they have cross-registration with all the colleges in Pittsurgh, including Carnegie Mellon. At the least you could check it out.

By Mit1986 (Mit1986) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Actually, i am planning to attend state university but i am searching for a univ which has good physics department. I will take loan for the first year and try to transfer to IVy (if possible)or any good school esp by raising my SAT scores.

Is it possible to transfer after the 1st year?/What would be the best time to tranfer?

How hard is it to get transfer to IVy school and how should i plan to prepare for the transfer application?

Thanks in advance onnce again.........

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

It is extremely difficult to transfer to Ivies. Check their admissions pages for info. Most Ivies have very little attrition, and very few spaces for admission. It's harder to transfer to Ivies than it is to gain regular admission as a freshman. Determining factors for transfers tend to be whether an applicant has attributes that would fill gaps in the class.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Your best choice would be to get into the a school with the best physics department that you can. A university with a graduate program and research opportunities is your best bet. You can then set your sights on going to graduate school in physics in a top school IF you get top grades in physics related courses, get top GRE scores and earn a great record in research work.

Transferring in your particular situation would be very, very difficult. The top schools, particularly the ivies have very few spaces for transfers, in many years none. Many give no finacial aid to transfers let alone international students. The schools that do have particularly low or no transfer admits. Your scores are low for admissions to these schools and though for transfers grades at the attending college takes precedence, they do look at the SATs as well. Your time would be better spent building your experience for graduate school rather than trying for the miniscule chance of getting in as a transfer.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I'd suggest you consider working for a year in your home country to raise some savings so that you won't need as much financial aid. Then, next year, I'd reapply to schools a notch or two below the ones who rejected you this year in terms of diffculty. Or, I'd consider attending an undergraduate school in my home country and planning on coming to the US for graduate school. If neither appeals to you, contact schools like Purdue and Rutgers to see if they would still consider your application for next year - just keep in mind that your chances of getting the level of financial aid you need will be very slim at this point in the year. Good luck.

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Have you considered State University of New York at Stony Brook? It has an excellent physics department and has rolling admissions

By Idonotcare (Idonotcare) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Clemson U in SC, i think they take application till May. And they have decent science/enginnering program, with very cheap tuition. The drawback: it is in SC!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page