UChicago or Brown?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UChicago or Brown?
By Call_Me_Ishmael (Call_Me_Ishmael) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

I know the University of Chicago and Brown are almost nothing alike, but I can't for the life of me decide which one I should attend. Any and all opinions are welcome, no matter how random . . . actually the random ones are especially welcome because they'll probably be more helpful anyhow.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Personally, I would go to Brown unless you are an extremely serious scholar.The academics at Brown are excellent, but the students also have fun. Providence is supposed to be a pretty fair college town.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Come to Brown.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

DEFINITELY U OF CHICAGO

i say this because I am waitlisted at Brown....hehehe..gotta love my alterior motives

By Caustic_Juggler (Caustic_Juggler) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

DON'T GO TO U. CHICAGO!

I've heard so many horror stories about it. My friend's sister stayed there overnight a couple years ago, and all the kids were telling her how awful it was and warning her not to go. Plus, the city of Chicago is g-h-e-t-t-o.

By Er222 (Er222) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I think that you should talk to as many current students as possible. It's a difficult choice. Both are excellent schools, but with very different approaches to education. Chicago has a core curriculum of required courses; Brown has no requirements, unless dictated by your department of concentration. Chicago, apparently, has not given in to grade-inflation; Brown does not require grades at all, I believe. The Chicago faculty/student ratio is very low, and almost 90% of the classes have fewer than 30 students per class, which is excellent. I don't know how Brown fares in that regard. My guess is that Chicago has the edge academically, but that also depends on your area of concentration. Chicago is very strong in economics, history, anthropology, sociology, literary criticism. I don't know about Brown. As to social life, Brown probably has the edge, because Chicago does not have a reputation as a party school. I would not be turned off, necessarily, by the reputation of Chicago's being a place "where fun comes to die." If you read the other messages on this site, you'll see that many Chicago students find it a wonderful place to go to school. It all depends on what you mean by "fun." Finally, there's Chicago versus Providence. Your choice as to whether you want the excitement of one of the biggest and most important cities in the world -- which includes some of the problems (including safety concerns) of urban living. To deride it with the term "ghetto," however, is racist. Chicago is located in Hyde Park, one of the most vibrant, multiracial residential communities in the country. The crime rate around the University is about as low as the crime rate around Columbia and Yale, and much lower than the crime rate around Penn and Harvard. In short, I'd gather as much information as possible, before making my choice, and not rely on glib descriptions. It's too important a choice. Good luck.

By Lakeside (Lakeside) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

U chicago!!!

U chicago is a far better school than Brown academically. caustic may have met some nay sayers, but people i knwo who go there absolutely love it (academically AND socially!). The neighborhood might not be the best, but overall the city of chicago is amazing where as providence is pretty boring

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page