Computer Science Schools?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Computer Science Schools?
By Anonymous8769 (Anonymous8769) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I'm having trouble deciding which school to go to. Maybe some of you can help me. I've been accepted to:

Berkeley (L&S Undeclared)
Cornell (College of Arts and Sciences)
Carnegie Mellon (MCS, CIT, but not SCS)
University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign (Undeclared)

And waitlisted at:

MIT
Caltech

I'm going to pursue a double major in computer science and math. Right now I'm between Berkeley and Cornell. I would pick Berkeley right off the bat, but I didn't apply to EECS so there's a chance that I might not be able to major in computer science. I'm pretty sure that I can make 3.5+ GPA at Berkeley so I'm not *too* worried about that. So what do you guys think? Berkeley or Cornell?

Also, does anyone have any advice on getting off the waitlist at MIT or Caltech? Thanks.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Gourman's computer science ranking is 1. MIT, 2. Stanford, 3. Cornell, 4. Berkeley, 5. Carnegie Mellon, 6. Illinois-Urbana Champaign, 7. UWSeattle, 8. Princeton, 9. Yale, 10. Brown.

If I were you, I would go with Cornell.

If you want to get off the waitlist, first, you need some patience and luck. Second, you should also have your guidance counselor call the admissions office and let them know that MIT/Caltech is your first choice. Finally you might want to think about writing a personal letter to your admissions counselor (personally addressed to the person in charge of your file) explaining why MIT/Caltech is your first choice. You might even consider sending an additional recommendation letter in an extreme case, particularly if there was someone (not a school teacher, but perhaps a mentor on a science project or something like that) who didn't send a letter the first time around.

But even if I got into MIT or Caltech, I might still go with Cornell.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page