Rochester v. tufts v. brandeis

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Rochester v. tufts v. brandeis
By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Am new in posting messages though I've been following several boards. But decision time has arrived. Main choice is these three, but being out here in CA we don't have the best conections for information.
Our S interests are social science/humanities, not science or engineering; perhaps history, journalism, IR, communications, Middle/Near Eastern studies, or something he hasn't yet heard of. Some good art courses also.
We'd appreciate information from anyone having personal knowledge of the schools - recent graduates, current students, parents.
Comparative academic strengths and difficultirs for students? How heavy is the workload? Comments on social life. Primarily large parties/ Greek events? School spirit?
Jewish life - what is it like? Any problems with anti-Israel attitudes?
Happy to hear from you. If I can give any imnformation, just ask

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Having researched Rochester and Tufts a bit I can give you some info, if it at all helps. Although Rochester is trying to get rid of the reputation as a "science and engineering school" through its cluster program and whatnot... its strengths still lie in the non-liberal arts. Tufts, on the other hand, I have heard has a great IR department and is probably very good for all those interests you mentioned. Also... Rochester is in Rochester... Tufts is in Boston... no contest. Boston is a wonderful city (if you like cities). I'm not pushing Tufts, but I think it's the better choice. Brandeis... no idea.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Spiffy: thanks very much but it's clear I should have added a few words to the message, namely that our son has been accepted to all three schools. We obtained the same impressions you mention when we researched them a while ago before he decided where to apply. Now we're at decision time.

By Nannerl (Nannerl) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Tufts has a communications major and minor that your son may want to investigate. Although I can't respond to all your questions, I went to Rochester for grad school and find Tufts a much livelier and certainly better-located campus. My son chose it early decision because of the excellence of its liberal arts departments (including English and dance/drama), its broad range of extracurriculars, proximity to Boston, and relatively minor Greek participation. The faculty is noted for its dedication, too. There are a larger percentage of international students than the other schools you mention, which may be good or bad depending on your viewpoint of the current direction of world politics. But IMO, Tufts is an easy choice.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page