Wash U. vs. UVa

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Wash U. vs. UVa
By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I really can't decide between the two schools. I think both of them are good schools. I'm looking for a school with a quality education and good reputation. Here are some questions I have:
1) I plan on going to a graduate school- in this case, would Wash U. have a better reputation?
2) I'm interested in studying business. Is the McIntire School of Commerce good? or the Olin School of Business? (I was accepted to the college of arts and sciences but Wash U. is very flexible in double majoring in another school.)
3) Does location really matter? UVa seems to be in a better location whereas Wash U. is in the midwest. And I think as a result of its location, Wash U. is not well known throughout the states. By the way, I've never lived in America so I don't know what it's like living in either of the states.
4) Are professors accessible at UVa? I know that students get more attention at Wash U. simply because it's smaller.

In any event, I will be visiting both colleges next week. I hope any one of you could answer my questions. (Please judge without considering the cost of education at both schools.)
Thank you!

By Washu07 (Washu07) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

I would say that Wash U's reputation is much better than UVA's. It's really true that when they say "if you want to impress a truck driver, go to Harvard!" - you know? so maybe your average blue collar worker will not have heard of Wash U (for that matter, they probably wont have hear of UVA either - just assume its some random public school) but the people who HAVE heard of both schools know that Wash U is much better. By the way, i'm in the Olin School and I love it. And you are right, it is very, very simple to switch schools at Wash U. You can get degrees in both, or majors in both, or just switch entirely. I hope you end up at Wash U! It's really a great place.

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Dear Washu07,
What's the workload like at Wash U.? Is the studying atmosphere very intense?
In other words, I want to attend a school where there is a balance between studying and pursuing activities.
Also, how good is the economics department at Wash U.?
I heard from students who lived in St. Louis that St. Louis wasn't that great. What do you think of St. Louis?

By Washu07 (Washu07) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

1. the workload is seriously NOT that bad. i came from a very challenging high school, so maybe that had something to do with it (i.e. i was well prepared), but last semester i ended up with a 3.4 GPA and i skipped classes ALL THE TIME. and i mean ALL THE TIME. had i just gone to class like a normal person and did my work (i.e. not waited till the night before the exam to start reading) i would have easily made at least a 3.7-4.0. the studying is not nearly as intense as you might think.

2. i really like the econ dept from what i've seen of it. i'm taking macro right now (through the econ dept., not the b-school) and it's a really interesting class; i'm learning a lot.i'm thinking about getting a double majoring in econ too.

3. yeah.. st louis isnt so hot. okay, well its not horrible, there is SOME stuff to do, but i'm from nyc and it's very different. there's this cute section called the hill where there are TONS of yummy italian restaurants (really good for dates!), a street called delmar, or the loop, thats kind of artsy and a few blocks away from campus - a lot of people go there to get lunch on the weekends or go out to dinner, etc., and then there's random fun stuff to do like the city museum, science museum, etc. then of course there is LOTS to do on campus which kind of makes up for the lack of stuff to do in the surrounding area. and of course you aer only a few hours from chicago, which is awesome!!

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Dear Washu07,
If I major in economics in the College of Arts and Sciences and do a second major in the Olin School of Business, what kind of degree will I receive when I graduate?
In other words, will I receive degrees in both business and arts and sciences?
This is one thing which I am quite confused about.
Also about the housing, which one would you recommend- the modern or traditional buildings? Which one is closer to classes?
These are some of the many things that I will find out when I attend the celebration week at Wash U. However, I would like to hear what you have to say about them.

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:05 am: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

bump

By Mafmaf22 (Mafmaf22) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

If possible, you should try to do an overnight visit. I just got back today from Olin Spotlight Weekend, which is a 3 day weekend for the top students accepted. the profs. were really good and interesting. supposedly there is a decent workload, but not overbearing also unlike some b-schools, WashU-Olin is pretty laid back. The dorms and food are both amazing. WashU also probably destroys UVA in terms of financial resources. The b-school building is relatively new and is amazing, you can tell they had a huge amount of money with all the technology they have in each class room. Also the kids were really chill, nice, and welcoming. Finally the social life was really good. Also as another maybe "incentive" Olin has no classes on fridays, so it is quite possible to have a three day weekend every weekend unless you have a class from a different school on fridays

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Barrons (Barrons) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

UVa Business is much higher rated than Wash U. One of the top 5 undergrad in the US.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:06 am: Edit

Mafmaf:

Were most of hte kids preppy types or granola types?

By Mafmaf22 (Mafmaf22) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

yo argilo... the kids were not really either. they were all really laid back and chill. as a whole, neither type really stuck out

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Uva has a new undergrad SOB building under construction. It will be awesome.

http://www.commerce.virginia.edu/newsletter/archives/2002_01/topnews/building.html

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:04 am: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

bump

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

bump

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

i actually think you should go w/UVA if you got into McIntyre, they have a better undergrad b-school and personally i think it is better regarded. i have friends that attend both universities, and they're all extremely happy with where they are at (all of them are 'out of state'). and for reasons outside of academics, i'd choose Uva as well.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

WashU: do students go into st. louis much? and what are you majoring in?

By Rana (Rana) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

WU-St.L does have a good rep, but overall UVa is considered a much better school. Its reputation is on par with the ivys; the school was founded by Thomas Jefferson and has maintained the highest standards ever since. Grads from UVa are VERY much sought after by employers and grad schools.

Not only that, the UVa campus is absoulutely beautiful and the surrounding area is amazing. Have you been to St. Louis? Lousy weather and pretty awful town. Remember that you won't be spending all your time on campus or in the library, the surrounding environment is crucial for recharging your batteries!

By Helpappreciated (Helpappreciated) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I visited both Wash U. and UVa, and I have to say that the Wash U. campus is really impressive. The campus is located in the nice part of St. Louis, and it is really beautiful. I'm leaning towards Wash U. simply because of its superior academics.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page