Northwestern, UPenn, or Amherst? Please Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Northwestern, UPenn, or Amherst? Please Help
By Aj61498 (Aj61498) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

I am basically deciding between these three schools. I applied to the engineering schools for NU and UPenn, but Amherst doesn't have one per se. But I'd still like to consider Amherst because i can always go into engineering for grad school. Anyone have an opinion as to whether NU or UPenn has a better engineering program? I'd also consider being a doctor/dentist. I also want a school that is fun. Anything would be great!

By Mr_Magpie (Mr_Magpie) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

I would say Northwestern for sure. I'm applying to graduate schools (for chemical engineering) next year and it's probably my top choice.

UPenn has the name recognition of being Ivy, but people who know engineering know that NU is outstanding. Although, it probably depends on what type of engineering. UPenn is, of course, located in Philly, in what I understand is a really bad part of town. I'm sure there is plenty of social life though. NU, on the other hand, is in Evanston, IL, 15 miles from downtown Chicago. The campus is gorgeous, and I hear the social life is great. Plus, Chicago has an amazing music and art scene.

These are just my thoughts as I look for grad schools; take them with a grain of salt.

What engineering are you considering?

By Pasta (Pasta) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

I say choose UPenn -- Great academics, good school spirit and athletics, every area of study you could possibly be interested in (in case you change your mind a few times regarding a major), a fun city with everything within short cab ride from campus (train/airline, major sports/entertainment venues)
And, most importantly, my son will be there!

By Cornellian (Cornellian) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

"UPenn is, of course, located in Philly, in what I understand is a really bad part of town. I'm sure there is plenty of social life though. NU, on the other hand, is in Evanston, IL, 15 miles from downtown Chicago."

Chicago, last time I checked, is the murder capital of the country.

By Mr_Magpie (Mr_Magpie) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

heh. fair enough.

but evanston is at least outside the heart of the city, while still being convenient. hell, what do i know? i've never been to Chicago or Philadelphia. just call me mr. speculation.

By Pmyen (Pmyen) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I am an Amherst graduate. Amherst used to have a 3/2 program with MIT. I believe students obtain bachelor's degrees from both institutions. You may want to check on the Amherst website and registrar. It offers the opportunity of a great liberal arts education and top engineering degree. However, you spend one more year as an undergraduate (which can be good or bad depending upon your career goals and timetable).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page