Twinkle the XVI: Towards New Frontiers

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Twinkle the XVI: Towards New Frontiers
By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

It seems appropriate to start a new thread.

Go to, go to.

By Chronofx (Chronofx) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

For what it's worth, feel free to take a look at my PRstats profile: http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=pulseXdriver.

The results for a white male coming from a National Blue Ribbon Public High School with a 1580/790/790/740/4.4ish WGPA/7 APs by graduation/decent but not stellar extracurriculars were as follows:

Accepted
--------
Dartmouth (I'll know for sure tomorrow, but I got a likely letter, so chances are good that I was accepted)
Georgetown
Tufts
UVA
William and Mary
Rutgers
TCNJ

Rejected
--------
Harvard
MIT

Waitlisted
----------
Duke
Penn - Wharton (something of a surprise, as I was a legacy and my extracurriculars fit Wharton pretty darn well)
Yale
Cornell

Quite frankly, I'm thrilled at the prospect of going to Dartmouth, but also thoroughly, thoroughly humbled by the admissions process. I'm an incredibly self-confident guy, but even I consider myself ridiculously lucky in retrospect to have gotten accepted to even just one of my top choices. I'm also really, really, really glad that I applied to so many schools, and don't regret all the work that went into that one bit.

Dartmouth has a four-day visitation program from the 22nd to the 25th, so if it turns out to be the most horrible experience I've ever had, I might end up at Georgetown or else Rutgers.

I'll check back once or twice but after that I'm headed off into the sunset - or something.

Congratulations to everyone are in order, and remember, by Halloween, everyone's college becomes their first choice!

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:08 am: Edit

You sound so much like someone i know, i almost thought you were him, but there are definate differeneces, so i guess you're not. Still, be forwarned, you have a *twin* in MD who's going to Dartmouth if he doesn't get into HYP, etc. (i haven't heard yet). Oh, but he's an English/humanities major so maybe not. hehe

I really want a waitlist! hehe. I guess I could get one from princeton, but i'm more likely to get rejected. Bah, none of my colleges are indecisive about me.

My mom's been really supportive, she sent me this email a few hours before i found out about HY::

My dearest daughter,
I am so luck to have such an wonderful daughter. You are so loving, considering, kind, honesty,
intelligent, hard worker, artistic, talenty, and beautiful.
I truely believe in my heart that you are the treasure of any college that you decide to go.
Don't worry about money. Don't worry about ranking. Don't worry about Iving.
The most important of all is that you need to be proud of yourself to be accepted by
so many great colleges.
I am happy for you that so many colleges have accepted you.
I am so so so happy for you.
I love you very very much.

Love
Mom.

:-)

By Momoffour (Momoffour) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit

Esmeraldasy- where in maryland are you? Happy half, rainy day.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

TheDad: No, it's not fair... grrr grrr grrr. Had I been a straight classics major, this would be an entirely different game - but it's not. What ever happened to revenge of the nerds?

Wellesley, Smith, Barnard - your D can't go wrong with any of those. :) Congrats to her - and for taking the Harvard and Stanford non-acceptances in stride. I don't know if she's seen the snail mail, but I always thought that the Harvard non-acceptance letters were a bit snotty (while the MIT ones were downright sweet).

Esmerelda: That's an incredible email. Your mom sounds great! :) She's absolutely right though. If you really want a waitlist, I can ship you a letter or two or five. You still have some excellent choices in front of you, though! :) Congrats.

Chronofx: Congrats on all of your acceptances! You really cleaned up! Let us know where you end up.

To All: Hard to believe that you were all so stressed and upset about admissions? I'm betting that you're all getting very excited about the choices you have and starting to plan for the fall. :)

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Ugh... so many waitlists and rejections.
Haven't heard from Princeton yet, but:

Accepted:
Haverford
Kenyon
Vassar
Oxford
UMD-CP

Waitlisted:
Carleton
Chicago
Cornell
Amherst

Rejected:
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Williams
Swarthmore

:(

I'm not really happy about this... I mean Haverford is a great school, and so is Vassar, but I donno... I just donno if they're for me. I really really really hope I really really really love one of them when I visit.

I don't know what to do about these waitlists... I would probably much prefer to go to any of those schools over the ones I'm in at now... but I don't know how to go about this, especially since chances are sort of low, I guess. Arrrrr so frustrating.

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Accepted: (trifecta of LAC's) (listed in order of preferance)
Amherst
Swarthmore
Williams

Waitlisted:
University of Rochester (I would have sworn I was a fit)

Rejected:
Harvard (no duh ..harvard was next to impossible this year)

Wished I applied:
Columbia(realy wished I applied here)
UPenn
Dartmouth
Cornell
JHU

Probably going to go to Amherst.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Congrats on Cornell Sunshine. I also got accepted to Cornell. The other 6 kids in my school all got rejected, so I'm feeling very, very lucky that I got in. I'm so glad that I actually took the time to research the school, because I'm entirely confident that I would've been a definite reject if I hadn't.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Congrats everyone!!

Surprisingly, being rejected didn't really hurt at ALL; it was just sort of like "oh well" and then I pretty much forgot about it.

I am glad I took my chances- even if they primarily led to rejection, it was worth my time and money. Otherwise I would have wondered. I was actually pretty sure of the outcome putting the letters in the mailbox, but I had to feed that curiosity.

I thought I would be sad that this process is over (no more waiting) but I'm really not. I'm glad that my ducks are beginning to align... I know they're not all in a row yet, but in my head I'm pretty sure of what I'm going to be doing, but I don't want to say anything yet because that would make it feel too concrete, and I kind of just want a few days of not having to think about it at all.

It is fun and exciting but it's a relief not to have to think about it toooo much for a little bit (then after that we get back into the swing of things: visits, final decisions, sending in the deposit, housing forms, buying stuff)

Homehill (hello silent lurker!:)), I do think you are quite right in terms of good match vs. good money, and what will be better in the long run.

Thedad-I knew the acceptance rate was about 30-35% (I've seen different figures in different places... does it specifically state what the number is?), but I didn't realize it was the 12th lowest admit rate for liberal arts schools. Which doesn't necessarily matter but it is kind of cool knowing I was able to beat not quite daunting, but not quite favorable odds either.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

AHHHHHHHHH

ACCEPTED AT:

WILLIAMS
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY

today!!!!!!!!! 2 fat letters in the mail. nearly fainted when i saw!!!!!!!!!!

6 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection,

1-Princeton-unknown.

i did a LOT better than i thought. the problem now?

WHERE AM I GOING TO GO TO COLLEGE?

hoping to visit Cornell/JHU/Williams next week! those were my 3 "target schools" and i was accepted at ALL!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

im not a failure! (LOL)

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Congratulations, Sunshine!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Can I ask the "regulars" on this thread for a favor? Would you mind - after all decisions are in - writing a summary of where you applied, what the results were AND your stats like Chronofx did above? I'd like to keep them in a file to share with next year's seniors here on CC. Just post here in this thread as right now I really want to keep this to a select group who I know will be truthful and want to help me out this way. Thanks!

By Happykid (Happykid) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Voigtrob, congratulations on another great acceptance - Haverford! I know Vassar and Haverford have not been in your top choice list, but they are both great schools. I hope your visits help sort things out. Keep in touch here.

Are you a practising Quaker, or were you just brought up in a Quaker household? You might really prefer Haverford over Vassar. Just a thought.

By Slayer (Slayer) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Chronofx, congratulations on all those great schools!!!! Esmerelda, your mom is a sweetheart!!! Voig, congrats on your acceptances and I'm sorry about the waitlists/rejections. Subtrunks and 07, Congrats!:) Sunshine, I am so happy for you!!!!! I'm glad your hard work has paid off!! :) you're lucky to have so many places to choose from! Twinkle, let us know when you've made your decision on where you're going next year. :)

Carolyn, I don't know if I count as a 'regular' on this thread, but here's my stuff..
1350 SAT I, 730/700/620 SAT IIs, 4.75 GPA
NHS President, 4 yrs student government, French club treasurer/VP, kids voting 4 yrs volunteer & precinct captain, young life+volunteered month in canada, 3 varsity sports, lifeguard/swim teacher at YMCA, etc..

I applied to UCLA (my dream), Vanderbilt, Wellesley, UNC-CH, Mt. Holyoke, and NCSU.
I was Rejected to UCLA, waitlisted at Wellesley, waitlisted at Vanderbilt (ouch.), accepted at UNC-CH, accepted at NCSU, and accepted at Mt. Holyoke with a leadership scholarship ($40000 total)... I thought I'd get into *one* of my three stretch schools, but I didnt.. So, I'll be at UNC-CH next fall.

I'm glad spring break started today. I haven't taken all this rejection well. It's just sad for nothing I've done to have paid off. I'll get over it though. I'm hoping in college it'll give me fuel to work twice as hard. Should I bother sending Vanderbilt a letter askign to be added to the waitlist? They said they accept less than 2% of these and it almost just seems unhealthy for my mind. That "waitlist" I take personally... The letter was rude, and they waitlisted two other people from my school who I thought shouldn't have even applied there in the first place. I know college admissions is random and what not, but I was their average SAT, high grades, EC's, everything. oh well. Anyway, I'm going to the beach in a few days! :) haha, no colleges to look at. where's everyone else going?

have a great night!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

TODAY IS THE BEGINNING OF SPRING BREAK FOR ME TOO SLAYER!!!!!!

YAYYYY!!!!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Slayer - Thanks - actually I was planning to write to you privately to ask for your info. so I'm glad you already provided it! Enjoy Chapel Hill - I have heard lots of positive things about it and know you'll have a great experience.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Hey ALL!
Sunshine, I hope you go to Cornell because that is where I am probably going!
Anyhow, the following is to help people who will be going through this process next year:

I am Canadian Permanent Resident, Chinese Citizent, male, go to a good public school:

SATs: 1460 : 800M, 660V
SAT II: 800 Math IIC, 790 Physics, 780 Chem, 660 writing
GPA: 95%, ranked 12th / 300ish (there was no weighting...)
TOEFL : 290 out of 300

Schools:
Accepted to :
Cornell Engineering (dont know how i pulled that off considering I am international)
U of Waterloo's Biotech + Accounting double major
U of Windsor, my local university

Waiting on Princeont and U of Toronto

Rejected:
Harvard and MIT, probably P'ton too

I guess my ECs are the kicks:

-Math classes/club/team : 6.5 hrs a week for 4 years; team won many national titles, and 11th at ARML last year; I got one national championship, and one second in Canada... qualified to Canadian MAth Olympiad when only in junior year... got 133 AMC + 8 on AIME this year, hope I will make the USAMO, too.

-I played vasity basketball and volleyball in senior year

-Won local science fairs twice, went to Intel ISEF to represent Canada, got 4th, first from this region to win =)
going to Newfoundland this year for National finals, all expences paid too =)

-FIRST robotics: Canadian national bronze medal as a rookie team, I'm one of the founders

-4th in Canada on Canadian Computing Contest last year; I did worse this year, but I will qualify for the national training camp for IOI (got the news today =) )

-other things can be found in
http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=peacemakeriv

GOOD LUCK!

PS: I wrote about the first time buying Pizza when I moved to Canada for the main essay, and about how I just love Pizza...haha, it was so stupid

By Momoffour (Momoffour) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Slayer- what can you tell me about NCSU? Thanks.

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Momoffour-- i live in Rockville :) Go suburbs of DC!

SO rainy today. I visited UMCP, and didn't really like it. There wasn't much i could tell about the school from what i saw, so i can't really diss the school. One this is for sure, it was cold, and I got wet. My friend's sister dropped me and a friend off there, and my mom came to pick us up, but we had different ideas about where we were supposed to meet, so my friend and I waited outside in the rain for half an hour. My jacket may have been warm a fuzzy before, but as I squelched into the car, i'm pretty sure i looked like a wet rat. hehe. The school seems a little bit big for me, although I did like the student union. I didnt' get to see the dorms though, because we were late, and didn't know we were supposed to get tickets. :( whoops. I don't think i learned very much about the school. I did go to the engineering lectures, but i don't think i really learned about the program. eh. we'll see. I really want to go to a smaller school, although if i get the baker-key scholarship, it'll be hard to turn down a full ride.

So jealous! I want to go to the beach! I'm doing a lot of college visits this week. I'm a bit freaked. I've never stayed overnight at a college before. I'm not worried about homesickness or anything like that, i've gone to CTY (3 week camps at a college dorm). I'm worried about the people. I really hate talking to people i don't know, I get all self-conscious and jittery. The thought of it turns my stomach. I know i'm going to have to do this next year when i go to college, and i know i'm going to freak out then too. :-( I don't want to go! heh, oh well, my parents wont let me get out of it, so i'm going. I would much rather go to the beach though.

CONGRATS sunshine!!!!!!!! Go you!

*a multitude of hugs distributed to all*

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I wish it were my Spring Break!:):) It's getting warmer out though, so I'm a happy girl.

Something weird: Last night as I was coming home, I saw a man... carrying mail and walking on the sidewalk. Okay, not that weird, but I mean, he looked as if he were delivering the mail at one in the morning. The mystery of the midnight mailman still remains unresolved.

Carolyn, ah, as for my stats (whenever I see that word, it reminds me of a baseball team... can I join the CC all-star baseball team?)

Suburban public HS, top 1%, SAT-610M/700V, SAT II:690,720,770. Main ECs: Loads of community service, lots of work with kids, e/i/c of newspaper w/ assorted other stuff (if you want, I can email it to you... drop me a line, I feel as if I'm posting my stuff all the time and it takes up a lot of room...if not, well, that's the primary commitments that I have, in addition to other societies/clubs/working a lot before/dance/(love it, but it's recreational in nature). Rejected @ Brown/Tufts, into Trinity and UConn, part of Connecticut College application completed but never sent in the whole thing...eek. Sent in St. John's U. application, but I decided that I'm happy with my current options and will not be attending the school, regardless of the decision that has been made.

Only 27 days until final decisions will be made! For some of you guys, this is going to be really, really hard. (It's the best kind of dilemma to be in though, so I'm sure no one is complaining too much!)

By Volley17 (Volley17) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Sunshine, that midnight mailman cracked me up, I think that just made my day. :)

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

woot! I totally got waitlisted from princeton! They said there were only a few hundred of us, boy do i feel special! I'm gotten all three! Accept, waitlist, reject!! GO ME!

Anyways, here's my stats, though i'm not sure i qualify as a 'regular'

SATs: 1480 then 1600 (miracle)
SAT IIs: Math IIC--790, Bio (E)--790, Writing--740

3.98 (or something, i got one B in chinese junior year, bah)

4.7 Weighted

blue ribbon high school
Maryland
Half-asian, half-caucasian

Ok, copied and pasted the following info:
EC: Volunteer at nursing home (2 years, 5 hours a week)
Internship at local research center (6 weeks, 40 hours a week)
President of school's Ultimate Frisbee Club
Member of Mural Club (since 10th grade)
Art class (since I was 5 until now)
Drew web comic

Awards:
Presidential Scholar nomination
National Merit Finalist

Participated in (nominated for):
Physics Bowl
JETS physics/engineering competition
Newton's Nightmare (physics competition)
Physics Olympiad (qualified for finalist exam)

Final college results:
Accepted: Bowdoin, Carleton, Amherst, Rice, Tufts, McGill, Wellesley, Wesleyan, UMCP
Waitlist: Princeton
Rejected: Harvard, Yale, MIT

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

i was waiting til my final decision to come in the mail today to post this (rejected from Princeton after deferral ED, not that i care anymore :))

Asian Female
Public School in Ohio
Applied for Biomedical Engineering or Molecular Biology
SAT: 800M/740V=1540
SAT II: 800 Math IIC, 790 Writing, 700 Physics
GPA: 4.0UW/4.7W

EC's/Awards:
-French Club President
-Latin Club-OJCL Member, lots of State awards
-Moden UN Vice President
-Girls Leaders Club
-HUDDLE
-Violin-9 years-symphony & chamber orchestras, ensembles, solos, recitals, etc.
-Snowboarding/Ski Club
-National Honor Society
-Academic Challenge team member
-Safety Town Volunteer in Summer
-Taught English in China in Summer
-Taught Violin Lessons
-Science Olympiad (lots of regional medals)
-State Vernal Pool Research
-JETS TEAMS Competition
-National Merit Scholar
-qualified for AIME for 2 Years

and i swear that i loved it all! i'm just your average high school girl who was motivated to learn and succeed, but had a lot of fun in the process :)

Accepted: all RD
-Purdue University
-Case Western Reserve University
-Skidmore College
-Cornell University
-Williams College
-Johns Hopkins University

Waitlisted: all RD
-MIT
-Harvard

Rejected:
-Yale
-Princeton (after deferred ED, :()

i dont know where im headed, but we're visiting Cornell, Williams, and Johns Hopkins in the next two weeks!

oh, and screw you Princeton & Yale! :)

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Wow sunshine congratulations!!! Looking forward to hearing what your impressions are from visits...take notes...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for posting your stories. I plan to start a little file to send out to next year's seniors. Hopefully it will help people going through this next year.

Congratulations to all of you guys. You have all fought the good fight this year and should be proud of yourselves for that.

Esmeralda - thank you in particular for sharing that note from your Mom. I have copied it to use as a guide for writing a similar note to my daughter when she gets through the college admissions process. Give your Mom a BIG hug for me sometime today, ok?

Sigh. I am going to miss you all next year.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Carolyn, I found the rest of my stats sheet on my comp. with more detailed stuff. Do you want me to email it to you (if you write me one first- you don't have yours in the profile)or is the above sufficient? I kind of wrote it out quick (pressed for time and in sort of a humble/lazy typist mood)

Perhaps I will kick around in the fall, and offer nuggets of wisdom to all the '05 seniors. :):)

Random rant of the night: All education does NOT take place in the classroom. It always kind of unnerves me when people act like I don't know anything about music simply because I'm not musically inclined. I don't sing at all, and my inability to read music ended my instrumental career. But I mean, I listen to A LOT of music, and as a result, I know a lot about different styles of music, bands, genres, trends, etc. This is entirely NOT related to having any kind of musical skill. Just because I don't know about the technicality of music or can enjoy a song that doesn't necessarily have superior lyrical merit but for whatever reason is still a good song doesn't make me ignorant. (I'm not saying that everyone who is involved in music scorns everyone who isn't...definitely NOT the case, this is isolated but still a pet peeve of mine)

I almost wrote a college essay about music, but I felt weird doing it because I don't have the technical knowledge that other people do. In hindsight, it would have made a really kick-butt essay. I wouldn't have been bragging I'm an expert of any sort, but I would have written about how much I enjoy it. Actually, come to think of it, my music exploration could be considered a kind of odd EC. :) Anyway, I guess my point is is that overanalyzing music detracts from the amount of enjoyment that is derived from listening to it. Some songs have AMAZING lyrics, some songs trigger memories, some fit an event in an era extremely well, some evoke a certain feeling, etc. Like I said somewhere else, if I were trapped on a desert island, I'd take music over food.

Volley, lol, the advent midnight mailman was simply one of the oddest things I've ever observed. The funniest part was that he looked SO determined to get to wherever he was going.

Less than a month till AP exams :-/

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Twinkle - I think what you already wrote is fine. I'm just trying to compile the basics for next year. I DO hope you will stick around, or at least visit from time to time to let us know how things are going at Trinity.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Happykid - Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all you've said. Yea, I'm a practicing Quaker. I need to visit both but as of now I'm sort of leaning towards Haverford.

Ugh. Got my rejection from Princeton today, and the deal is sealed. I hadn't cried in like ten years until today... I don't even know why I'm so freakin upset. Dreams unrealized or all that nonsense I guess. I try to tell myself what happened (Princeton and otherwise) isn't my fault, but it's so freaking hard. I'm just totally... ugh... I don't even know anymore. I'm going to sleep.

By Volley17 (Volley17) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I'm stupid.

I meant Twinkle in my last message.

I feel bad now. Time for bed.

Sorry Sunshine and Twinkle. ;)

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

Well, so many good intentions lie buried in the hours of the day that too quickly passed.

Iow, I just finished packing and need to sleep.

Take care, guys...I hope to see all of you here in a couple of weeks. Vienna, Brno, Prague, Boston, Northampton, here we come.

Come to think of it, I will see one of you in Boston. :)

By Slayer (Slayer) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

thedad, have fun!! :)

By Happykid (Happykid) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Voigtrob, I'm feeling so sad for you now. I know you were still holding out hope from Princeton. A week from now everything will be put in perspective and I know you will feel a lot better.

You have some great choices and once you've made your decision I just know you will get excited about where you are going and the regret and sadness will be just a distant memory.

Let us know here how your visits to Vassar and Haverford go and what you decide to do in the end.
It really sounds as if Haverford may be the best fit. I'm sure you'd be very happy there.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

TheDad:

Have a great time! I'm looking forward to meeting you and TheDaughter. :)

By Slayer (Slayer) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

momoffour, sorry, I overlooked your post!! NCSU is a pretty good school. It's not pretty (all brick) but there are a lot of boys (vs. chapel hill which is like 65% girls!) Everyone I know who has gone there has LOVED it! there's lots of school spirit and it's really good if you are a math/science/engineering kind of person. :) sorry i dont know much more!!

By Slayer (Slayer) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

sunshine, i meant to tell you :) congrats on all your schools, and i'm glad you have choices to make like you do!:) hope youre having a great break

By Momoffour (Momoffour) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Slayer- thanks. We hear lots about UNC around here but nothing about NCSU. Over spring break my jr. daughter and and I are going to look at Wake, Elon, Duke, UNC, and NCSU.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Thedad, have a GREAT, fun-filled, exciting, educational, wild, amazing, spectacular trip! Take lots of pictures, go sight-seeing and watch out for small animals.

Voigtrob, I'm sorry :(I knew you really wanted P. Getting non-acceptances is always hard, and I think it's worse when you really are attached/in love with the school that does not accept you. This is going to sound cliche (but since it's true) I'm going to say it anyway. I think Haverford is an awesome school and a very good fit for you, and perhaps it is not your dream school as Princeton is, if you attend in the fall, you will be in love with it by Halloween, have lots of friends, love your classes, etc. Still, it hurts, and you have every right to feel crushed, but I can assure you that in time, you won't feel so hurt (I don't know if it helps, but you certainly weren't rejected because you weren't good enough. It's the whole space vs. applicants thing happening over again, and this is why admissions is such a crapshoot) and really be excited about the options that you do have. Let us know how it turns out:)

Volley, that's okay, neither of us are offended, I am sure! Just be sure to keep your eyes open for the midnight mailman!

Carolyn- Thank you! We'll see what happens, but I don't think I'll disappear off the face of the earth right away...intend to stick around for a bit :)

The weekend is almost over :( Sigh. I hope it's warm this week. I am definitely one of those people whose moods are affected by the weather. Sunny and warm weather gives me such a happiness boost. (Perhaps I should migrate to CA or FL within the near future!)

Hope everyone who is on Spring Break is having a great time!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

I really hope that you guys will stick around - I'm sure you can offer some very valuable insight to next year's bunch. Remember how stressed and worried you all were - and I swear, come September, you'll be nothing but excited about going to school. The current juniors really just need to hear that over and over. :)

How goes the senior slide for everyone? Anyone feel like posting some tour reports or impressions of student open houses for next year's bunch?

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Well well, the sun is shining, erghh…well its snowing, but nonetheless Spring Break has come and Sunshine is having a blast NOT going to school…

I hope TheDad & TheD have an awesome time in Europe and Boston to meet Aries and visit schools! Sounds like fun!

I think I will definitely stay around CC, probably not nearly to the extent that I have this year (trying to calm anxiety, relieve stress), but I’ll definitely be around. I’m overall VERY glad this process is over, and I’m super happy with my final results. I know that’s definitely the case for a lot of people, but come Fall, we will all love where we are going.

I will definitely be typing up reviews/impressions of final visitations in the coming few weeks. I am doing an overnight at Cornell on the 9th, and going to Williams for the day on the 12th (its an overnight program, but I have to come back, cant miss too much school). I reserved places for both schools this morning. Then we are headed to lovely Baltimore at the Johns Hopkins University on the 17th. That should round out the final round of visitations we do! Last summer we went to Cornell, Princeton, UPenn, Harvard, MIT, Dartmouth, Brown, and Yale, so both Williams & JHU will be new to me! I’m excited. We were originally visiting Skidmore on the 16/17th, but because I’ve NEVER been to JHU, my parents figured I’d get more out of that visitation.

And for the rest of you, if the decision is made, which college will be lucky enough to say that you are part of their Class of 2008? I know its such a hard choice, at least for me. The only school I’ve completely ruled out is Purdue.

Now I must go do some homework and sit by the mailbox waiting for financial aid letters…

Goodbye! :)

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Oh and THANKS SLAYER

and no, im not offended at all Volley :) i was just a little confused when i read that...

By Saccharine (Saccharine) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Hi!

This is the first time I'm posting on this thread (I hope no invitation is needed :)). Just wanted to say to Sunshine and Voigtrob that I'm really sorry that you won't be joining me at Princeton :(. I remember from all Princeton ED threads that you really cared about it and deserved to get in, but c'est la vie... I'm sure you'll be happy at whatever college you choose.

To all: have fun on the Spring Break!I wish I had one too and could not care about IB exams...

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Saccharine: Welcome! :)

Sunshine: Happy Spring Break! It's cold and rainy here - yuck. I hope that you don't have to visit while this is happening - it will make you hate whichever schools you do see. It looks like you're going to have to make some tough choices. Best of luck with financial aid - I know that things are tough right now for you. Hugs.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

No, of COURSE you dont need an invitation! Welcome Saccharine!

well, got both my Cornell & Williams financial aid today and a welcomed, but unexpected surprise!

-------
Dear Sunshine

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that our Engineering Admissions Committee has selectd you as a John McMullen Dean's Scholar. This award, the most prestigious available from the College of Engineering, recognizes your outstanding achievements inside and outside of the classroom, and indicates our confidence that you have an exceptionally bright future.

The John McMullen Dean's Scholarship is named for John McMullen who was the president of the Atlantic Gulf & Pacific Company. Not a Cornellian, but a friend of several alumni, Mr.McMullen bequeated his estate to the College of Engineering. The first McMullen Dean's Scholar entered the College in 1925 and this year marks the seventy-ninth anniversary of this important award. Receiving this honor places you in a select group of exceptional engineers who have received McMullen support during their undergraduate years at Cornell.

The John McMullen Dean's Scholarship is awarded within the context of Cornell's financial aid program. If review of your financial aid application shows sufficient financial need, your McMullen Dean's award will reduce the loan component of your aid package. The amount of the award will depend on your financial circumstances and will be reflected in the financial aid letter you will receive this month. If you are not a financial aid applicant, you will receive $600 toward the cost of books.

Although this is a one-time award, it is our intention to continue to provide the McMullen award to you each year, given satisfactory earnings from the McMullen endowment. To continue as a McMullen Scholar, you must make satisfactory progress toward your engineering degree.

In addition to the monetary portion of the award, McMullen Dean's Scholars are recognized by the faculty, administration, and alumni of the College of Engineering at special events.

I offer my hearty congratulations to you for your outstanding accomplishments, and send you my best wishes for a satisfying completion of your senior year. I look foward to meeting you in person in August.

Sincerely,

W. Kent Fuchs.
Joseph Silbert Dean of Engineering
--------

Both schools gave me VERY similar aid packages, differing within hundreds of each other. The difference? With this crazy Cornell Scholarship, they made it ALL GRANTS, with NO LOANS and NO WORK STUDY! The only other money is $2000 of self help, which can be covered with my National Merit Scholarship.

I CAN GRADUATE FROM CORNELL WITHOUT LIFTING A FINGER AND WITHOUT GOING INTO DEBT!!!! AHHHHHH!!!

My Williams package was generous as well, but i will have work-study as well as $2600 in Perkins Loans a year.

But at this point, money will not make much of a differnece. When i visit Williams, i will give it every opportunity to let it win me over.

However, Cornell did just jump in the lead today by making a case for itself through financial aid :)

I dont know HOW i won this award, or WHY i was picked, but i dont even believe it. It should be some mistake. ME??? DEANS SCHOLAR?? I want to know how many of these awards are given out each year...

I am so happy.

wow.

what a great ending :)

Well with JHU's AWFUL finaid, its basically out of the running now....

SO. Cornell & Williams here i come!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

CONGRATULATIONS, SUNSHINE!! That is awesome news. :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

The senior slide is going very well. Most classes I'm maintaining my grade, and then there are one or two that look kind of sketchy. It's almost a new marking period, though. My grades are overall very good, and so when report cards come out I'll have 5 A's/2 B's which I think is pretty decent for someone who is severely feeling the itch of senioritis.

It's not that I'm not interested anymore, but some of the work just seems excessive, and I feel like I'm not gaining anything from what I'd deem extra work. I get A LOT out of class discussions, but some homework assignments are so tedious for me that it's painstaking even to start them. Plus, it's getting nicer out, and it gets hard to be in class in this time of year. (Wow, what if I did live in CA/FL?? I'd probably fail out of everything!)

Sunshine, congrats, that is WONDERFUL news!!! (It will make your choosing that much harder, but what a great "pro" for Cornell when making your decision!)

And welcome Saccarine!:)

Once I visit schools again I will post reports for entertainment purposes and helping the class of 08!

I'm going to go make an attempt to do some AP studying (--chokes--). Yikes. I doubt I will pass all of them this year, but I'm definitely going to try.

By Slayer (Slayer) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Hey Saccarine :) welcome to twinkle's thread!
Sunshine, Congrats on your scholarship to Cornell!!
Twinkle, what AP's do you have? Good luck studying for them, and have fun visiting schools again :)
I'm off to the beach tomorrow yall! talk to you later!

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I'm not a regular, but hopefully my stats will help the next years seniors.

Korean-American native born
From Dallas, TX (actually i kind of live in a suburb of Dallas)
Public Blue Ribbon School

1530(780M, 750V)/790/750/740, 3.92 WGPA (hehe), ranked 42 out of 611, National Merit Finalist

EC:
-Key Club
-Student Council
-Latin Club Treasurer 3 years
-Art all years of highschool
-Designed a nifty flag for Texas and got to fly to D.C. for free
-Worked part time from 9th-11th (about 12 hours a week)

I was surprised with most of my acceptances considering my relatively boring ECs. I'm guessing my essays were really good and my southern location helped out.

Acceptances
Cornell
Williams
Pomona
Carleton
Haverford
NYU ($4,000/year)
Berkeley (spring semester)
University of Texas at Austin

Rejections:
Stanford (big bummer)
Columbia
Harvard
Brown

Still trying to decide where to apply.

Hey Sunshine, i spent 4 weeks at Hopkins for their Pre-College program and had loads of fun. The campus was nice and so were most of the people. BUT...after talking to some of the students they kinda scared me off. My RA reallllly regretted going to Hopkins, and most thought the competition between students was intense, especially for Pre-Med. Hopkins had been my number one choice for quite a while because of its awesome medical school. But the students I talked to had enough of an impact to change my mind. Too bad, otherwise I wouldnt be in this frustrating predicament of having to choose between so many awesome schools.

I've narrowed it down to Pomona, Williams, and Cornell...but my lack of preference for weather and size is really cramping up my decision process. Plus, I talked to one of my teachers whom I highly respect, and he said that i should go to either NYU or Berkeley...

Kinda makes me wanna pull all my hair out

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Oh yeah i forgot to mention, I'm visiting Williams the 10th and the 11th. Cornell 17th-19th. Senioritis kicked in and i forgot to sign up for the programs the two colleges had set up for kids to visit, so ill be touring by myself :/

I wonder if I can somehow squeeze in time for Pomona...

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Wow, I just have to comment that everyone's credentials here are very impressive.

And, of course, welcome Eulogy!

Slayer, have mucho fun at the beach. Are you going for the day or hanging out for a bit longer since you're on break? I can't wait until it gets warm enough for the beach! I really think when I get older I'm going to be living somewhere where winter isn't the dominant season... I don't know if being able to go to the beach more often means that it's not as exciting to someone like me who lives for the summer, but I think it would just rock to live somewhere with less winter. Although, I think I would miss the seasons a bit. I do like the beginning of fall, and snow on Christmas, but I can do without the January and February loooong stretch of snow, ice, and more snow! Anyway, have fun, get a healthy tan and enjoy the sun :)

I'm doing most of my prep work right now for the English AP exam...reviewing books, reading new ones that I think I could really grasp and discuss, and trying to think of different themes, concepts, things to analyze so I don't go totally blank with the free response next month.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

I'm sorry to interject. What are these "twinkle" threads, please?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Slayer: Wow... beach... that sounds great.

It's finally warm enough up here so that we don't have to impersonate Eskimos to avoid frostbite. Sunroof time! Okay, so it's supposed to snow at the end of the week, but such is life.

I met with my pre-law advisor today... she seems to feel badly for me, and was rather shocked at the sheer number of waitlists I've received. Ugh. May end up going through this all over again. :(

Noodleman: The "Twinkle" threads are named for TwinkleToes (see above), who holds them together with her copious social gifts. :) Seriously, consider it a very long, ongoing conversation between anyone who wants to stop by and chat.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

CONGRATS SIYA THAT ROCKSSSSSSSSS.

Eulogy - You ought to consider Carleton, if you're thinking pre-med. It's a really awesome place, and it, along with Williams, or maybe above Williams, is one of/the very best science LACs.

In any event - Hehe, funny thing just happened... my interviewer for Princeton has really been pulling for me this whole time throughout the whole process from ED to deferral and on to the present phase of rejection... I just called her and told her I was rejected, and she was like "UGH I can't believe this... they totally blew it... I'm so angry... BAH" etc etc... hehe. She went on to say how I'm going to be amazingly successful no matter where I go because of my personality and ambitions and interests and talents, and screw the darn admissions office for their dumb mistake etc etc etc. I have to say, it felt really good to have my shattered ego somewhat assuaged... haha. Oh well... life goes on. ;P
Haverford and Vassar both do look quite good now, and I'm still holding out hope for Carleton/Chicago/Amherst waitlists. I called Amherst today and the officer was quite good about the whole thing.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Aries, :( here is to hoping that you get admitted into a law school program soon! I am disappointed too; disappointed by the fact that they don't realize how valuable someone who majored in engineering and classics could be to their school. It's ironic- the social science majors probably get admitted at higher rates because they have higher GPAs- yet the engineering majors, who are used to having it tough, probably do better in law school. Seriously, what are these people thinking? I wish some schools would wake up and realize that the cost of dropping a few points in ranking would be outweighed by the benefit by having perhaps a more diverse, multi-strengthed student body.

My senioritis has led me on a major guilt trip. After seeing a few of my test/paper grades for a few classes, I'm definitely kicking myself for not putting in 110%. Well, not really kicking myself because I did try, but I kind of wish I put a little more time into them because perhaps I would have done better. But, no regrets, because it's really not that bad, and my days are still very busy, which makes me think that it's definitely nowhere near out of control yet.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Hello,

I haven't been on this thread in a long time, but I would like to say CONGRATS to everyone on your acceptance and rejections ( cos you have the courage to apply)!

Sunshine, I say this on the Williams thread, I say it again here, go to WILLIAMS!!!

I think I got rejected/waitlisted from Princeton, I will know for sure tonight, when I call them up, so .. it's the end of the ED deferral saga. Good luck Saccharine in Pton! Was there anyone from your country who was accepted?

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

I'll use chronofx's post as a template:

For what it's worth, feel free to take a look at my PRstats profile: http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=NCChineseDude.

The results for an Asian male coming from an International Baccalaureate magnet Public High School with a top 10 ranking in Newsweek with a 1500/800/780/770/5.04 WGPA by graduation/pretty strong extracurriculars were as follows:

Accepted
--------
Pomona
Duke (with 5000 merit scholarship for Carolinas students)
Amherst (early write)
Carleton (early write)
Swarthmore (early write)
UNC
Pittsburgh (with full-tuition scholarship)
Florida
Emory (in early as Scholar semifinalist)

Rejected
--------
Harvard
Yale
Princeton

Waitlisted
----------
Columbia.

Like Chronofx, I'm really happy with the options I have before me. About the Ivies, I'll admit that rejection stang--but only very mildly. But in the grand scheme of things, I would have been forced to attend HYP had I been accepted, so this is a small blessing in disguise. I'll be able to actually pick the school of BEST FIT for me. :) Exciting, exciting.

I've narrowed down my choices to Duke, Pomona, and Pittsburgh. I've visited Duke and Pittsburgh; talked with the Pomona admissions office, and they're trying to arrange something for me to fly out there. The money option at all 3 are fabulous; however, if Pitt offers me the full-ride Chancellors', I am 99.9% sure I will accept. I interviewed for that this past weekend, and was pleased with the Honors College structure and environment at the University. Very intimate, and much flexibility. I think it's also the place where I have the most opportunity to shine--that really appeals to me. On the other hand, both Duke and Pomona offered excellent financial aid...helping to make my decision harder! Since I aim for a degree in Public Policy or Philosophy/Politics/Economics, both places offer amazing opportunity and academics as well. Pomona does win out in one regard though; I can always head to Duke or Pitt for grad school--the LAC environment is one of a kind, and it'll be the only time I'll be the beneficiary of such an environment.

It'll be a tough choice. I wish I could clone myself--in triplicate!-- so that I could attend all 3. No matter my ultimate decision, I'll sulk only because I couldn't attend the other 2. :)

Congrats to all those who heard amazing news. My empathy to those who met disappointment. But realize that your life is not over. Carry a positive attitude forward, and that flame will be contagious no matter where you go.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Congressenator - Congratulations. Wonderful results to be proud of. Do try to visit Pomona even if you have to pay your own airfare. It is a very different place than a U of Pittsburgh. But it sounds to me like you will do well where ever you end up. Congrats again!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Thanks again to everyone who is posting their stats and results. I am keeping a file for next year. I think it will be important for "new seniors" to see concrete proof that not everyone with a 1500 gets into Harvard but that if you choose well you can have GREAT options!

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

I'd be curious to know where kids with above average-good-very good, but not spectacular SAT scores (I'm thinking 1150-1350 range?) got into college too. This would help the class of 09 because there are probably a lot of kids who will lurk, but will not post out of fear of feeling "dumb" compared to people with very high SAT scores.

Also--to juniors: It's really NOT too early to start your search process. I was lucky that I had a lot of help here that kept me in line in terms of looking for schools, retaking the SAT Is and IIs even though I initally had been adamant against it, trying to narrow down search criteria, and so on.

The funny thing is that I didn't have a really good idea of what I wanted until after I applied to schools. I was not mature enough at the time, not to mention that college didn't seem close enough in the future to really be serious and make close, careful decisions. Seriously, I had apps laying around, partially completed/fully completed until almost the very end, contemplating where to apply. Due to financial reasons (I couldn't personally afford $600-700 on apps out of MY funds, and I wasn't going to demand it from my parents all at once because of my poor planning...that would have been really unfair) I didn't apply to all of the schools that I was interested in/really liked. There are a few even now that I do wish I would have applied to, but at least I know I have somewhere wonderful to attend in the fall. I also missed some deadlines (read the deadlines for ALL materials carefully... just because you don't need to send in the main part until January 1st doesn't mean you don't have to send in other information), which was not smart, either. I also didn't really pay attention to merit aid/financial aid factors, either. I figured it would all work out (not true... this is important! I will probably graduate with tens of thousands in loans), but that's not how real life works. You can't just assume that you will get AMAZING financial aid because of multiple children/middle income (I didn't), or will be able to make up the costs in scholarships (local ones are very hard to get if you're basically a good, run of the mill BRWK).

Also don't underestimate the importance of 2-3 reaches, 3 matches and 2-3 safeties... even if you love one of your matches/safeties, it really is nice to have a few options to choose from, different financial aid packages to compare.

I also think it's important to add here (particularly directed toward underclassmen) that you will not be screwed in terms of getting into college if you have a crummy freshman/sophomore year(s). Upward trend definitely counts for something, and some colleges even throw out your freshman year. (I always liked that idea... if my freshman year was ignored, I would have a practically perfect transcript, but when my grades were all averaged together at the end of fr. yr, they look overall decent).

Yuck, I'm rambling again and giving redundant nuggets of wisdom to the class of 09, who probably know all of this already:)

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:02 am: Edit

Voigtrob-i think overall, Princeton screwed up BIG TIME in admissions this year. im not talking about us individually, but all the people i personally know (not any of you CC people!) who got in (minus 2-3) are just the most arrogant jerks i have ever met. maybe the stereotype isnt so wrong afterall? They are all white, rich, preppy, jocks with a HUGE ego problem. I hope there is a balance with diverse, nice, helpful, and INTELLIGENT kids there :) ahh, so ends the Princeton dream...

Eulogy-aghhhh I've been keeping up with your Williams/Cornell/Pomona thread for pre-med, because its basically my exact situation! My parents, too, are hinting that i should go to Cornell, since its an *Ivy* and the whole no-debt factor. I am still strongly strongly considering Williams for the personalized education thing as well. JHU is sort of out of the picture, after the financial aid office called my house and was VERY RUDE. (more on that later). good luck with your decision, and keep us updated!

Congressenator-CONGRATS! you have great choices! GO TO DUKE! haha i regret so much not applying there. it would combine a lot of the best aspects of all the schools im choosing from, and the weather cant be beat.

Upandover-forget Princeton too! go to Yale!!! yay that is SO exciting, and such an awesome ending to our Princeton deferral story. :) i am definitely thinking strongly of attending Williams. i feel so privileged to even be admitted! Congrats on Yale again!

Twinkle-SENIORITIS AHHHHHH!!!!! i've got the worst case ever. the only point of high school i see now is passing my APs...hmmmm.

I hope TheDad and TheD are having fun in Europe

and i hope Aries gets into that law school of hers!! even if you have to go through the process again next year, you'll be a year wiser! good luck.

so JHU calls my house yesterday, after i sent them an email telling them that my mother had recently lost her job and asked for an adjustment for financial aid. the lady RUDELY told me there was nothing they could do about it at this point and to basically take it or leave it. it was just so arrogant! they offered me $8000 less than BOTH Cornell & Williams in the first place, AND both Cornell & Williams are willing to restructure my financial aid to an accurate estimate of my parents' 2004 income. stupid JHU. i am NOT paying $8000 extra a year to attend a school like that. especially not after hearing about the internal competitiveness of the pre-med kids and such from Eulogy :)

so i think JHU is out of the picture. im not even sure if we are visiting or not now next weekend. i was just so mad after i hung up with that lady. she acted like JHU was too good for me or something. i just wanted to tell her i had much better choices anyway.

hope i didnt miss anyone. i'm leaving for Ithaca, NY at noon today, and heading over to lovely Williamstown on Monday, so if i'm not back before noon today, i'll be back next Tuesday!

By Saccharine (Saccharine) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

Upadnover,

As far as I know, I'm the only Polish accepted this year (not counting of course people of Polish origin, or Poles living in the US like Goodkid from CC). The chairman of Polish Princeton ASC told me that I'm the first person with only Polish citzenship that got into Pton in 7 years. So I think they were pretty desperate to get somebody from Poland, lucky me :). Overall, I have to agree that it was all really weird with Pton this year.

But I think you should not regret Princeton, if you have Yale's acceptance :). You'll be as happy there or even more than you'd be at Pton.

It's great that things worked so well for many people here like Sunshine & her Cornell scholarship/Williams (Sunshine, have a great time! Visiting colleges is just what I missed most bc of living in Europe).

I've started my Easter Break today! Here, Easter is a more important celebration than Christmas, so I will be mostly preoccupied with Church-going, visiting family and eating, eating, eating :) I'm a bad case of senioritis too, I should use this time to study Physics and French... {sigh}

By Upandover (Upandover) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

Oh, I just found out how you guys do the smileys thingie... heh, I never noticed the big 'Smilies' on the navigation.

So I dedicate my first smileys to everyone here!

Between this line and the next, a current Yalie from Malaysia called me. So exciting! Anyway, she was quite friendly, only a little 'posh' sounding, I guess I am just your regular country bumpkin .

CONGRATS to everyone again! Happy Easter too!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Thank you Sunshine and Twinkle! :) Still frustrated... I was saying to my friend last night that I just should have majored in classics, as the (much) better GPA would have helped me out. He tried to convince me otherwise... but this stinks. My pre-law advisor said that I need to make it clear that chem-e is the hardest major that anyone can take at my alma mater... hum, I should finish up this post and start getting that done. :)

Upandover: That is one of the more smily-filled posts I've seen. Makes for better reading. :)

It's weird when you guys talk about the class of '09... I was high school '99... wow.

For '09 though, Twinkle is giving some great advice there. Take it! Get the apps in early and don't underestimate the value of having good matches and safeties. My older sister ran into a problem where she got into two of her safeties (she applied to two reaches and two safeties), then realized that neither one was a really good choice. One was a 5-year programme, and my parents would only pay for four years; the other one was a specialized business school. She probably would have been better off if there were some unspecialized 4-year school in the mix to choose from.

Carolyn, I can give you stats that are five years out of date. It's weird, but I didn't know anything about college admissions when I applied - I just filled out my apps and sent them in. No cover letters, no recording the numerous campus visits I made (I saw two of them with my parent's friends who were alums; did an overnight with a high school friend, obviously none of which the schools knew about)... you guys are certainly a lot more savvy than I was.

By Stluciang17 (Stluciang17) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Well Carolyn, don't know if I'm a regular but I will post anyway.
I'm for St. Lucia

GPA: 3.6
SAT I 1320 (650V, 670M)
SAT II Writing 560, Math IIc 690, Chemistry 750

CXC (caribbean secondary school exam)
I got :7 ones and 2 twos
Grades range from ONE to FIVE

ONE- highest grade in a subject, FIVE- lowest grade

Currently studying for A level exam in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics

ECs:

Sergeant of St. John Ambulance Brigade
Treasurer of COTEC ( caretakers of the environment club)
CYEN (caribbean youth environment network)
Arts club, Karate, Tennis and some religious groups

ACCEPTED:
Vassar, Bard, Fairleigh Dickinson Uni.

Waitlisted:
Macalester, Wesleyan

Rejected:
Yale, Dartmouth, Amherst, Bowdoin

I got $31,500 fin. aid from Vassar so I will be attending this fall.

I also got $21,000 from Fairleigh. I think being an international student helped a lot because Vassar's average SAT I was over 1400 this year.

Hope that helped.

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I'm really leaning towards Williams and Pomona now. I NEED to keep my GPA above 3.5 in college, and apparently pre-med at cornell is pretty tough. I'm even thinking about NYU now to kind of cushion my GPA for med school, but thats really not a good way to decide on which college I'm going to...

Bah...and now my dad is more then hinting that I go to Cornell. He even told everyone that I had already decided to enroll . Yay, for asian parents and their obsession with "name-brands"

Any advice on how I could convice my dad that being an ivy league school isnt all that its cracked up to be?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Show your dad the USNews rankings to hopefully convince him that Williams is a freakin name-brand, haha.

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

USNews gives LACs a separate category, so it doesnt really help...

good idea though

Is there a top college list that includes all types of schools?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Try this thingy -

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/privatecolleges/privatecollege.php?sortby=RANK&orderby=flip&states%5B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table

By Eliyale (Eliyale) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

Tell him that they are both great institutions and that he should trust you to make the right decision after your spending a lot of time doing research about each school.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Personally, I would think that Williams would be better for pre-med than Cornell. Focus on undergrads, smaller classes, awesome chem department - all very good things. More relaxed atmosphere as well; you probably won't have students crawling all over each other for grades.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Maybe you could try to find acceptance rates into med schools from each - also remember to include how many students drop out of pre-med. My bet is that you have a better chance of making it through pre-med (due to the professor's support) and then going to a good med school out of Williams.

---

Busy few days for me. No acceptances yet :(, which is not fun. Every day, I get home, see my (empty) mailbox, and then get really cranky. It just seems one of these schools should have accepted me by now!

Seeing the guy I've been dating tonight - for the first time in two weeks. One of my friends is coming up from NY this weekend, so I'll get to see him as well... and social gatherings this weekend. At least it'll be distracting. :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIES!!!:) BTW, check your email. Have an amazing and fun weekend.

I hope that Sunshine is enjoying her college visits!

Wow, I am super-tired. What else is new? I think I'm immune to caffeine. Oh well. School is hard right now, but it's definitely manageable- I realize that I'm almost done, and now, it isn't so important to get an A in everything so it relieves some stress, too. I mean, I'm not super grade oriented, but being a 2nd semester senior allows me a bit of breathing room.

School was actually fun today. I wasn't there the whole time, but I went out and had a blast with some friends. Came back, did a test, probably got around an 80 on it. Multiple choice tests with close answers are always tough.

Random rant: Okay, the show "Swan" or whatever it is (I can't recall the exact title but if you have seen any of the previews for it you will know what I'm talking about in a minute) is something that should not even be a show.

I guess as I was attempting to write a Spanish paper I was getting tired, so I flipped on the TV (thought it might help... but as a general rule it's not a good idea to watch TV and do hw at the same time, which is why I rarely do it, let alone watch TV really) and fumbled around with the remote a bit. I watched the tail end of American Idol, then...The Swan came on. In short, it's a show about these so-called ordinary looking women who incidentally have no self-esteem because of the degrading people in their lives, and they are changed into literally entirely new people by a team of therapists AND cosmetic surgeons.

Okay, see, I think cosmetic surgery is okay for a physical deformity, or if it will make you feel better about yourself- to a small extent. I mean, these women had their faces ENTIRELY changed. The two that they tracked last night didn't even look the same at the end of the process! Seriously, I was paying close attention to the first woman that they "transformed", and she had- get this- a nose job, fat taken out of her chin and cheekbones, stuff lifted, something done to make her eyebrows sit higher, a kind of face lift, collagen injections, and something else. She also had lipo done to FIVE different areas of her body and got breast implants put in. I'm sorry, you don't even look the SAME at that point, and I know it's their bodies and they can do what they want with them, but this show is really sending the WRONG message to them (fitting some standard of beauty will solve all of your problems... and that was made worse by this woman's husband, who at the beginning of the show called his wife "merely average" and then was grovelling about how beauuuutiful she was post-surgery...that made me want to puke. Seriously, he acted as if he loved her 10x more because she was so much better looking. Jerk.) and send the wrong message to the impressionable girls of America, especially our age. Watch- plastic surgery which is already on the rise will continue to go up. I predict it.

And the thing was that these people were NOT ugly. I'm sure if they dyed their hair, cut it, wore a bit of makeup, worked out a bit, and changed their clothes a bit...there would have been a marked improvement.

Sigh. And I thought I was bad with my excessive obsession over hair/makeup/pickiness over clothing and working out. Watching this bothered me after because it made me wonder... what is this world coming to!?!??!

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Moral decay!
It's like the fall of the Roman Empire! ;P

Seriously though, plastic surgery is in 90% of the cases just really stupid. I didn't watch this Swan show, and now I don't intend to because it sounds ridiculous. Twinkle is right in that in most cases people who call themselves or are called "ugly" or "average" (what's wrong with that by the way) just need a little working on, not full-blown facial reconstruction... rar. Oh well.

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

I just got back and I am going to summerize my reactions to each college now, while they are fresh in my mind.

Tufts: The first college I visited. I had high expectations. Unfortunately i was REALLY disapointed. Definately not the college for me. Especially compared with Wellesley (see below). I liked some parts of it. It had some cool/cute traditions, the whole painting the canon thing, and the mad-cool elephant "Jumbo" but otherwise, there wasn't anything i particularly liked. I didn't like the distinct seperation between the "engineering" students and the "arts and sciences" students, because I'm engineering, but I could easily switch over to physics or some of the non-applied science/maths. Or even to the liberal arts (ha! Let's be serious) Anyways, until the end of the day there wasn't really anything that made me want to go for the college, OR against it. The campus isn't horrible, nor is it amazing, the number of opportunities for volunteering was great, I liked the whole study abroad program (although I didn't really like the idea that 40 some percent of the class leaves for study abroad Junior year), I didn't really like the whole living off campus thing, but that's with most medium-large colleges. I liked the option of going to boston, but I talked to a bunch of students, and they didn't seem to take advantage of that as much as they thought they could, so it might not be that big a factor at this college. um, anyways, I was pretty ambivalent, maybe borderline no, until we decided to sit in on a class. It wasn't great. In all honestly, I can't really blame the school for the experience. There were a whole bunch of things working against it. First, the professor was off having her baby so we had a long term sub who wasn't a real prof. Secondly, the majority of the people were obviously liberal arts students, kids just trying to get their core math credit. eh, whatever, it just didn't feel right.

THEN, i went to wellesley and was blown away. GORGEOUS campus. There was nothing that i didn't like about the school except maybe the all-girls thing but i think that is also a plus. The campus is 500 acres filled with trees and a LAKE, which is used for sailing and crew, etc, in warmer weather and iceskating in colder weather. The people were amazingly nice and open, the tour was really individual (we had three students and a few parents on our tour) and the guide actually took us up to her room. At wellesley, every student i talked to seemed to go to boston at least once a week ( wellesley is closer to a lot of other colleges, and that IS the only way people can meet guys ) which i liked. My dad said that the library was still small but bigger than Tufts, plus there were three libraries. All of the buildings were really pretty and well designed except for maybe the science building which was actively ugly (come on, folks! BLUE AND ORANGE???) but i'll forgive them that because the science building doors were mega-cool, and i liked the airiness of the inside. They have a lot of science classes for a womans college, and students have the opportunity to cross register at MIT classes if they find a class you REALLY want to take but can't (although the bus ride is 45 minutes, we saw the buses and they are nice comfy charter buses, and a student said she sleeps on the bus, and it's not too big a deal). I took a class, this time a junior/senior class, inorganic chemistry, and it was difficult to understand but clearly well taught. Again, the main thing was that everyone was so nice, all the teachers and admissions officers I talked to were extremely open and approachable. When i went off to lunch with a student she was so open i asked her "what animal wellesley is and why" because that is what the yale interviewer asked me about myself, which in itself (that she was open enough for me, a person pathetically afraid to approach or talk to strangers, to ask it) says a lot. She laughed and decided that Wellesley is a tiger because it isn't ferocious like a lion but it's not meek or anything. She said she herself was a flying squirrel. :-P There was definately a feeling of community, and i really think i could go there. But i'm not going to say it's my soul school, because i still have 3 colleges to visit. But i DID get a shirt which says "And on the eighth day, She Created Wellesley" hehe, it's cute and light blue!

All in all, a good trip.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Esmereldasy: I recently visited Wellesley as well, and it does have an amazing campus. The all-girls thing isn't too weird at all. But some places like Smith which are in the middle-of-nowhere, well, THEN it gets a little freaky.

You're right about the science building; that was one of the first things I noticed when I entered the campus. Same with the parking garage. But everything else is gorgeous.

The downtown area of Wellesley is also very nice. Perfect for when you just wake up and feel like taking a walk.

Anyway, I agree with Esmereldasy: out of all of the college I've visted so far (three), Wellesley definitely has the nicest campus.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Carolyn,

Oh and my stats and schools I was accepted can be found here.. http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=heartfang

By Coliumbiahopefu (Coliumbiahopefu) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Edited

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Esmerelda: Wellesley is gorgeous - though that science building is horrible. Whoever designed it should be shot.

Twinkle: Agreed on plastic surgery. If you do something to fix a deformity or to repair the effects of an accident or surgery (I'm thinking mascetomies or lumpectomies), that's fine. It's ridiculous though how popular it is. :( Some people once sent photos of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn to plastic surgeons. They admitted that the women were beautiful, but then marked things that they could fix. The photos were covered with these red arrows and things like "liposuction," or "collagen implants in lips." Leave well enough alone! It's sad too that they can't acnkowledge different forms of beauty - Marilyn being a great example. She was a size 14, but absolutely stunning, very curvaceous. But nooo... people would be like "she needs to get liposuction."

Enough of my rant. I'm dead tired today - didn't get home from celebrating until 3:30... at work today, out again tonight, then out again on Saturday. Sunday should be reserved for catching up on sleep :) but it's Easter! My little siblings still believe in Santa and the Easter bunny, so it's a lot of fun to see them get excited when baskets appear. :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Aries- exactly. I know someone who got an implant (I THINK...she had something done) because she had to have a mastectomy (cancer)-which was perfectly reasonable. Someone I know also had a reduction because she was having back problems, so that was definitely a good use of plastic surgery. I also think if someone has a visible deformity due to an accident/birth, then plastic surgery is a smart idea. However...as for people who totally change their faces- somehow, I think that's not what plastic surgery was intended for. It has become SUCH a profitable business, though, so I'm sure no one is stopping and saying, "Hmm, maybe we shouldn't do this". And it's addictive. For instance, perhaps you get your nose altered. Then you decide, hmmm, I like my nose, but my lips are a little small... so you get collagen implants, and find yet another thing to "improve". Then, your whole face is so changed that you're barely recognizable. Something about that does not sit right with me. Speaking of liposuction (I concur with you-Marilyn was beautiful and was not in need of it), a lot of people die from it. I heard of a woman who lost 75 pounds on her own, down to 135? or so at 5'6, and wanted to lose the last 8 or something, but couldn't despite her best efforts, so she got lipo. I don't know what happened on the table, but she died during it. How sad :( She was only around 30 years old. Imagine that. Your whole life ahead of you, and you die as the result of an unnecessary procedure. I'm sure there are many others like that. Then there are others who are NEVER satisfied no matter how much surgery they have, and then those who go overboard (think Joan Rivers or Michael Jackson) and look like deformed works of art after. Actually, on that note, that's what The Swan reminds me of- a deranged art competition. Let's see who can be the most "beautiful" (and doesn't beauty vary on who is looking at someone? One of my guy friends doesn't find Nicole Kidman the least bit attractive (!!!), and most people I've encountered find her very beautiful. So it really varies from person to person) with some plastic and cuts of a knife. Yeah...lovely.

The Swan is probably the worst reality show I've seen yet, and I've seen some awful ones. Seriously, the media frenzy on non-beauty vs. beauty is getting more intense and more rigid, and I don't think it's healthy for society. It just bugged me so much, though, because the people in the participants' lives treated the women SO much better post-surgery, AND that the people that had surgery done were not deformed, either. I sat there, and as the surgeon was suggesting procedures to be done, I was thinking, okay, perhaps a hair cut, a dye/highlighting to brighten face, a bit of mascara, BOOM. I'm not saying they needed improvements to be better people, or that physical appearance should be the most important thing in the world, but of course I understand that everyone wants to improve their level of attractiveness and feel good about themselves. Personally, I feel more confident when I KNOW that I look good, so I'm sure that other people do too. It's just that it does not always require a whole new face to achieve this goal.

End of super-long rant!

Have a lovely Easter Aries! I hope the sibs have a blast! I remember the days of painting eggs and searching for them (hidden by the Easter bunny) eagerly Easter morning, reading a note strategically hidden by the Bunny himself, then happily finding the Easter baskets. Thinking about it makes me miss it a little, but this Easter is going to be like Thanksgiving for us- we're going to be having company over, which means big dinner, early preparations, cleaning etc. I for one am eliminating part of the cleaning (and our house is already clean, but my mother demands meticulous whenever we have many relatives over for company...eek.) by keeping my bedroom door SHUT. I have random clothes strewn over the place as a result of trying on many outfits in an attempt to find something that I deem appropriate for the day.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

HAPPY EASTER FOLKS!

By Slayer (Slayer) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

i have to scroll back through and read about everything...
but i'm back from the beach, it was GREAT !! i even drove through UNC on the way home:)
happy easter yall!!!!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

Happy Easter a bit late! :)

Easter with the kids was great - they got all excited about the Easter bunny coming. Downside is that they woke me up at 7 am to tell me all about it...

Backtracking to the days on end of parties: Thursday I woke up early for cake with the family, went to work, went out to dinner with my family, then saw my b/f. We got dinner again (Indian!) in Boston, then went to Boston Billiards. :) Back to his place afterwards for champagne. :) The next morning, I babysat my siblings - it was certainly one of those times where I let them lounge around and watch TV while I slept. Went to work afterwards and left early to go home and nap.

My friend came up from NYC, so we met in Boston, went to dinner and a bar, then back to my house for more billiards, a movie, and (some) sleep. My dad called at 7 am (a mere 4 hours after I went to sleep) to ask if I wanted to take the kids down to Cape Cod for the day. Nooooo. I babysat the kids until my parents came back home, then went out mini-golfing with my friend from NYC. Ran a few errands while he visited someone else, then met up again for dessert at Finale (awesome dessert place in Harvard Sq). We had made a bet about me getting into law school by this past weekend - I didn't think it would happen, he did, so his job was to console me with chocolate. :) Drove my friend into Boston, went home, got ready to go out again!

Saturday night I went out with the Tufts crew for dinner on Newbury Street and dancing afterwards. The restaurant had an amazing lounge - small, intimate, with dim lighting. The sofas were red velvet - pretty hot! One of my friends told the waiter that it was my birthday, so they stuck a candle in my creme brulee. :) Onwards to the bars after that, where my b/f met up with us. Long night of drinking and dancing, then back to my friends house to sober up before driving home. Sobering up did involve everyone crowding around a crossword puzzle that one of my friends wrapped a present in... and also dancing in someone's room. :) Good times.

Home really late... then woken up at dawn by hyper little siblings. I think I said something completely incoherent and rolled over. I did, however, recover enough to be quite sociable and talk with them at length later about the Easter bunny and what they got in their baskets. Family came over, had the annual Easter egg hunt, dinner, etc. :) Good times. I took a nap, then went out again with one of my friends who was working on Saturday night and couldn't make the festivities. :)

So... it's Monday, I'm sick from not sleeping (the immune system is cowering in a corner), tired, sniffly, and at work. Ugh!

How was that for a Twinkle-style ramble???

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

...home at last...

so tired. thinking about not going to school tomorrow. no homework done :)

good trip. more later.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Slayer: How was the beach? Are you getting excited (at all) about UNC?

Sunshine: Let us know how it went! :) Any closer to some final decisions?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Just got back from a visit at Vassar, and LOVED it. It was really really cool, I could definitely see myself there. I'm happy now, I was upset about what had happened before... but this is cool. I'm actually considering not staying on my waitlists now, I don't know... it's gonna be tough. Visiting Haverford this weekend for their open house thing... but they have tough competition, haha... I already put the Vassar sticker on my car's rear window. ;P

By Happykid (Happykid) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Voitrob, I am so happy for you. You sound incredibly upbeat. Yay, Vassar!

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Hehe, thanks Happykid. I'm totally happy with this whole thing now, because I know I would loveeee to go to Vassar, so it doesn't really matter if I like Haverford or not - actually I hope I don't like it as much as Vassar, to make my decision easier, hahaha. What I am worried about however is this waitlist thing... I don't really know what to do about it, because I used to be *sure* that I would choose any of my waitlist schools over Haverford/Vassar, but now I'm really not sure of that at all, heh. Oh well, we'll see.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

I met TheDad and TheDaughter! :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

Hello guys!

After doing tons of homework and scholarships (I hate the essays for those with the ferocious passion of a lion unleashed from a cage in the Congo) and eh-hem...phone time (oops), I think I need a small break.

Aries-Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend, definitely something much deserved. Although I'm sorry that you're sick now! I think it could be partly the weather, though. The weather here is awful, cold, rainy...just all around not nice. It's not like spring at all. But anyway, I'm digressing, what I meant to say was that everyone around seems to have some sort of the sniffles because of the fluctuation from crappy to nice back to crappy weather, including the temperature, too. Yay to meeting thedad and the D!!!!:)

Where is that place where it only rains 11 days a year? Does anyone know? I think I need to move there.

Slayer- I hope you had a great time at the beach! Do you have to go back to school yet? And welcome back to Sunshine too, who I hope had fun visiting schools! Do you have a more definite preference now as to whether it will be Cornell or Williams?

Voigtrob, all I have to say is that I am so glad that things are looking up for you. I know you were so disappointed with the rejections and waitlists, so having such a positive experience at Vassar must have been so wonderful. Yay! Your dilemma now may be that you may be torn between schools that you really, really like... which isn't bad compared to having no options, but still nonetheless having a dilemma. Did you like Vassar better than the schools you were waitlisted at?

Rambling is minimal because I have to study, unfortunately. Goodbye.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

I think that AriesAthena and TheD are sisters separated before birth.

A quick hit-and-run from the hotel...Wellesely beckons, breakfast must be ordered, and the game is afoot!

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

:) happy easter (a bit late) everyone!

I'm leaving for Rice's "Owl Weekend" tomorrow afternoon, then flying straight to Amherst saturday and staying until monday afternoon. I'm missing way too much school, especially with AP tests coming up. Boy, am I not looking forward to those. Ugh.

Ah well. I have to miss the physics bowl too. bah, oh well. I'm definately having trouble with senioritis, so i guess it's alright. i probably would fail anyhow.

hope you all are well. Anyone going to Rice or Amherst as well? Or going to Carleton next weekend?

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

Thedad, let us know how everything went when you come back!!:) Nice to see you pop in.

Esmerelda, have fun with your many visits that await!

Me-->Human Zombie. School gets tougher and tougher. Sleep? What is that? I am definitely looking forward to the weekend. As for now, an all-nighter is in full gear with enough caffeine to fuel a small car. :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:47 am: Edit

I wonder if the class of 2005 will partake in this thread next year. Hopefully it will still be around. I mean, I would want it to be :)

TGIF! Anyone doing anything exciting over the weekend? I don't really have any big plans yet, but the break is definitely welcomed. My griping about the sometimes trudging along that comes with going to school has been somewhat muted lately. It's almost over, and I'm kind of sad because being so busy, it goes by even faster than I could have ever imagined. I want to enjoy every last second of my high school experience. It hit me when I thought about the fact that I'm in my 16th and final quarter of my high school career and it is going to be over at the end of June. I've been inundated with stuff to do, but I try to do it with a smile because even recent tests, assignments, etc. are among a series of lasts. I won't miss busy work of course, but I'm going to miss going to school, fighting with my alarm clock, choosing my fashion look of the day (well, that won't stop :))being a part of things, my friends, teachers I've really connected with, classes I enjoyed, wreaking havoc in school, being a leader, etc. Everything is going to change so much come fall, and I do welcome it-I'm sure it will be amazing however things play out- but I really do like what I have right now, and am not as eager as a lot of my peers for the day of graduation to hurry its way along.

I want to see my graduation gown though! Not only do I need to figure out what could possibly match with it, but I also want to see how long it is. I put down that I was 5'6 or '7 so the gown would be long enough to wear heels with! (Stilettos it is!) It won't be a problem walking across the stage in them; I've gotten so used to different kinds of crazy shoes that I'm pretty sure I could run in Jimmy Choos now. (which are said to be near possible to be fully mobile in...pshawww)

By Upandover (Upandover) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

Jimmy Choo is a Malaysian citizen!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

i've been meaning to post for awhile, but i havent had any time! i missed three days of school in a row, and doing all that makeup work has not been pretty. i think i failed all 3 tests i took today.

ummm my senioritis has gotten out of hand. my (idiot of an) AP Enviro Sci teacher gave me a C for 3rd quarter. C!!!!! wtf omg. i mean, i know i wasnt the greatest student but wow. that and 2 B's, 3 A's...better not get my acceptances rescinded! i'm not doing much better this quarter. im really really worried about all this stuff. im not so much slacking off, but i cant even seem to motivate myself to do anything. something that used to take me an hour now takes me three. its awful. i feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. another friend of mine also got a C. 2 of us, both top 15 kids, were put on MERIT roll rather than HONOR roll because of it!!!!!!!!!!

i still need to summarize my visits, but i really need to do some work right now. i cant wait til TheDad comes back and tells us how everything went :):)

bye.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Ahhh I just wrote 80% of what I was going to write for tonight's post, but then I had a brain lapse and had to click on something else, so my post got wiped out. Oops.

Upandover, are you a fan of his by any chance? (BTW, I didn't know before that he was a Malaysian citizen. I need to get my designer facts straight, pronto!) I love his shoes. They are literally works of art. *drools* I'm sure I've made my fashion fanaticism clear before, but for the record I love shoes. Jimmy Choo shoes are so gorgeous, but I don't own any. I try to find variations of strappy sandals/sandals/ wedge shoes/ flip flops of sorts/ dress shoes and so on that are really awesome but don't cost as much. On a teenager's budget, as much as I'd love to splurge $400 on shoe art, I know if I had $400 to do whatever with, I would try to pick up a few skirts and tops and perhaps a pair of shoes.

YEAH! I finally get to sleep tonight. I'm excited. I kind of felt like just hanging around here tonight and being semi-productive. I'll make up for my quiet night tonight tomorrow... everything balances itself out.

Sunshine, senioritis is getting harder and harder to keep in check. Surprisingly, though, I am doing much better this quarter than last. (Although I have grades that hover around the 89 mark... that is just a pattern with me in a few classes. No matter how hard I work, I end up with around an 89 or so, but luckily most teachers round up the point because 89s are evil) I went on a major guilt trip because I knew that I wasn't giving everything 100%...and in retrospect although the results weren't bad, I know it could have been better. This is reminiscent to freshman year, when things had slid quite a bit in the middle of the year. (Actually, though, I couldn't have been slacking that much, because I was super involved in ECs then, and now I've been super busy too. So I can't categorize myself as senioritis ridden, really, because I'm still doing a lot. Sorry about the APES grade, protest it of course if it isn't deserved, but as long as you do better next quarter you really have no chance of being rescinded.

2 weeks until we make our final decisions!!!

Thedad return soon! The thread misses you.

Next week is supposed to be almost summer warm. Finally. I'm sure it won't last too long, of course (that would be New England weather for you! Aries understands this perfectly) but I'm excited nonetheless. MAYBE it will be warm enough to head down to the beach. I am so excited. This makes graduating high school less sad. I love the beach and can't wait to spend as much time there as I can over the summer. It's so weird, now, because every time I go to class it feels like I'm just punching the clock a few more times before I can get my diploma. I still like my classes and participate, do my work , etc. but it just feels like I'm doing everything for the last time in terms of school. Trying to squeeze in a few more books, a few more discussions, a few more of this and that before it's over. So now instead of just wanting things to kind of hurry along like I did a few months ago, I kind of cling to every moment because in 2 months this phase of my life is going to be gone forever. Unlike middle school, I am definitely going to miss it. I will try NOT to cry during graduation, and wear non waterproof mascara so I know that if I slip, I'll ruin my makeup and be raccoon like for the rest of the night. It's also especially odd to think about because HS graduation sort of marks the end of childhood, and as I look around at my peers and myself it has kind of hit me that WE are the new adults and are slowly emerging into that phase, regardless of our maturity level. I can't picture myself as a real adult. Somehow I have this vision of myself getting older but ALWAYS being the same way I am now.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:41 am: Edit

Infomercials are *fascinating*. I am learning how to transform my body in not 8, not 7, but SIX weeks right now. Before I learned about all of the amazing aspects of this knife that can do EVERYTHING from cut tomatoes to...gasp... cut lettuce! Mind-blowing, and only $13. Yes, I have wasted the past hour of my life watching what I would call garbage. Well, I think Springer and similar shows, and some of the reality shows that are around these days, are the purest forms of TV trash out there. One germalicious day home from school I remember falling asleep on the couch in the morning, and I woke up around 3:15 or so. My sister was home from school and was looking for things to watch...then the phone rang and she left the room, leaving the TV on- and Springer must have come on. Needless to say, I was totally awed that 1) people with such total lack of class, morals, concept of social standards exist 2) they actually put this on TV and 3) people actually watch it. I watched in horror and amazement for about 10 minutes, then after a mad scramble for the remote (which as usual could not be found...then again, I rarely watch TV so I am not scrambling for the remote too often) I dragged myself over to the TV and turned it off. Eek.

Wow, I always get myself so off track. My mother calls it having a disorganized mind...I call it branching off in a conversation. Choose as you wish :) But anyway, I am watching infomercials because I'm amused that people would buy some of these products, and I'm trying to do scholarships in the process. I know it's super late, meaning I won't wake up until the early afternoon, but I slept horribly wrong last night, so I have this huge muscle knot-type thing in my shoulder and I really cannot sleep on it. I can't really MOVE it, and I have an extremely high pain threshhold- which is why I'm surprised that something I did in my sleep could be bothering me this much.

Seriously, though, I have probably done more damage to myself while sleeping (including a pinched nerve... I was astounded by the brilliance of that one) than in any of my athletic endeavors, and there have been quite a few of those. I even have a very very very good pillow and a really good mattress which should eliminate my sleeping related soreness/stiffness/ injuries.

I think my next plan is to sleep on a floor...supposedly it is good for your back. I have also heard doctors who recommend NOT using a pillow, which I think I will probably do tonight/this morning/tomorrow/next year. I will try the no pillow thing, but I'm probably not going to sleep on the floor because I like my bed too much.

Which I am probably going to attempt to do now, because these informercials are getting lamer by the minute!

Good night everyone, and welcome back to Thedad.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

Just popping in to say "Hi!"

Twinkle, I call it "going off on tangents" and I do it all the time. I can keep track of my nested comments on comments on comments but it does drive some of my listeners nuts. E.g., TheMom. I almost always get back to the original threads as I suture up the tangent but some people are *so* impatient.

Regarding sleep habits, I'm a big believer in firm mattresses and thin pillows, the latter to minimize neck cricks and the like.

Gotta run.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Haha i've been out all weekend, and am stuck on Sunday doing homework, of course :)

so does ANYONE HERE know where they (or their children) are attending this fall for the Class of 2008?

i really need to summarize my visitations, but im doing that in my own livejournal tonight, so i'll copy and paste it here (at least a more concise version of it).

i was leaning towards Cornell all last week.
all of a sudden, i woke up today and decided i was going to Williams. we actually had to turn in Census cards for our school telling them where we were attending. i put Cornell. i have a feeling i might have to get it changed.

i know i'll change my mind back and forth. i have a feeling April 30th will be a long night :)

TheDad, how was Smith/Wellesley?

By Volley17 (Volley17) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Ahh yes, infomercials are rather addicting. I am always amused by how they do all sorts of things with the product and yet, when you try any at home, the product just...dies. I would know, my uncle, when bored, will just sit and watch infomercials. After awhile, he just can't resist and buys whatever it is. So far, we have two completely different sets of knives, a RonCo rotisserie grill, a super duper lettuce spinner, and who-knows-what else.

I too am one of those people who frequently go off on tangents. Honestly, if I just sat down, focused, and did what I had to do, it would easily be done in less than three hours. But no. There's 48 hours in a weekend. 20 of them are spent sleeping, which leaves 28 hours. 3 meals a day times two days equals 8 hours so we're left with 20. Sit around, writing in my Xanga about food and we have 18 hours. Read some and we are left with 15 hours. Chores, helping out at parent's restaurant and we're left with 10 hours. Go over to friend's house to waste some more time and we're down to 5. I forget to mention showers and the like and we're down to 4 hours. Baby cousin decides that she wants me to watch Finding Nemo with her and we're down to 1 1/2 hours left. My tutees come over and time is out. Homework not done.

Hopefully this thread continues, I really enjoy reading it. It's kind of like a TV show in a sense, where there's bunches of people watching and they're all silently cheering on Sunshine and Twinkle and everyone else that regularly posts here. Of course, little stories like the midnight mailman make my day. :) I would most definitely continue chiminng in once every now and then, but as I am an '07, I really have nothing much to say regarding college admissions. I could complain about the APs, but that's no fun, eh? ;)

Sleep habits? Sleep? What's that? I get up at 6 every morning, go to school until 3, and then from 3 until 10 I have rehearsal, but as I am the stage manager of the spring musical, I get to stay after everyone else and cleanup! Yay! That ends up giving me what, 20 hours of sleep over five days? Wahoo!

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Volley17: Stage managers of high school musicals get special stars in their crowns--what a hard job. The stage manager of our high school theatre dept. got our first theatre scholarship rewarding all her hard work. She is majoring in tech now in college.

Sleep habits: I used to have migraines and my neurologist told me everyone should sleep with only one thin pillow. More than that is not good for your neck, as thedad mentioned, and can actually contribute to having migraines.

thedad: many are waiting with great interest to hear about Smith/Wellesley/Prague/Vienna and theD's choice. I have wanted to go to Prague for years...sigh.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Sunshine & Bookiemom, I'll try to put together an honest to God trip report in a few days while things are still fresh but there's *so* much to do. Including all three of us going to a local party for students accepted to Smith in a couple of hours.

The highlights, though: D will be a Smithee. Waiting for the formal re-evaluation of financial aid due mid-week before sending in the SIR. But.
There was nothing wrong with Wellesely. But D felt that Smith offered a better balance between academics and participation in the arts (orchestra, ballet) whereas at Wellesley they felt like afterthoughts. She thought that both sets of classes that she took were very good but that at Smith there was needling and teasing between students and profs whereas at Wellesley it was more Very Serious; for all that, she didn't sense any compromise in Smith's academic standards. She has a STRIDE scholarship at Smith which includes research assistant positions the first two years, including the opportunity to be the second or third author on academic papers...as an *undergraduate*.
I looked over at her when they were describing their Praxis internship program...they pay for an internship for *every* student and the opportunities are phenomenal. I saw the look on her face and said, "You're going to go here, aren't you?" It turns out that she said "Yes" in a voice so low that I couldn't hear but she nodded and she had tears of joy in her eyes. There are so many opportunities that she can't possibly take advantage of them all: the two fairly standard ones are terrific internships in D.C. (either on Capitol Hill or with CNN) and studying in France. The cherry on the cake would be a semester term in London with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Programs aside, D just felt that she clicked with more of the profs, students, and prospective students at Smith...a subjective intangible assessment. Not that everyone at Smith will be her best friend, but....

The orchestra tour was fabulous if fatiguing. Their final concert, in particular, was very good. If I were told that I could no longer live in the USA, I would probably choose London for language but Prague for almost everything else. "Charming" is an understatement and the people are extremely pleasant and likeable and for Americans it's fairly inexpensive as well. That's all pretty abstract...I'll fill in the details later.

By Dooger (Dooger) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Yeah for your D, TheDad! She and my daughter will be part of Smith's class of 2008! Can't wait to hear the rest of the report...

By Mstee (Mstee) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Thedad and theD--congratulations! What a moving post. So great to have those opportunities to look forward to! I am slowly introducing the "all girl option" into conversations with my freshman daughter. So far, no response (just the glazed over look she gets sometimes when I open my mouth). But my goodness, it does sound great!

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

TheDad: Thanks for your update. Congratulations to everyone in your family! I have so enjoyed following your daughter's search for her college.

"Tears of joy in her eyes" just about sums it up, doesn't it?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Update: just got back from the Smith party for accepted students.

D instantly clicked with two others over "Hamlet" and "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead." They traded e-mails and phone numbers, as did the parents with e-mails. One of the other moms had been fighting a last-ditch battle for Reed (closer to home)...looked at the trio and ran up the white flag.

The thing that probably makes me most serene about Smith as a choice is just how bright, pleasant, articulate, and just dog-gone nice so many of these young women are. I like them as D's peers and I like the older ones as the templates for what she can grow towards.

Dooger, maybe we can start some sort of connections in the Individual Colleges forum under Smith:Class of 2008.

The Wheel of Karma turns in interesting ways. When this process started, D was focused on large research universities in big cities and had no intention whatsoever of attending a women's college.

And *for her*, I think she's made the right judgments re Smith > Wellesley > Barnard.

The process may have driven me nuts at times and certainly took over portions of our lives but I can't really complain about the result. A bit of protective bruised ego that she didn't get into HYS but I'm almost happy that that was a choice she didn't have to wrestle with.

By Dooger (Dooger) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I am so intrigued about the interest in women's colleges among my D and here immediate group of friends. I would never have thought they would be interested - when we suggested our local all-girl's high school in 8th grade, D was passionate about NOT attending. Now she is going to Smith and some of her closest friends will attend Mount Holyoke, Barnard and Mills respectively! Quite extraordinary for a CA suburban public HS...

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:04 am: Edit

I love sleep. Unfortunately, I am in short supply of it lately. I actually removed the pillow from my bed last night before I went to sleep...but somehow I woke up with it on my bed. I really don't remember putting it back. I actually think that I need sleeping lessons... most of the time, I end up in a weird position, all crooked and twisted. :) My pillow isn't really thick, but I could get a thinner pillow and see if it works better. I think I've woken up with a stiff neck every morning as long as I can remember, primarily because I cannot sleep properly like 90% of the population. I'm used to it now; it doesn't really bother me until I end up with a crick or a knot or something, then it drives me nuts, like today, because it's still there. Oh well. However, I had a wonderful day today, a lot of fun, not to mention that it is sunny and warm :)

It was actually so nice and warm out that I wore a tank top, skirt, and sandals comfortably, and I even had the pleasure of opening all the windows and blasting the fans to kill some of the humidity. I LOVE this weather. I need to move to a warm location within the next ten years, which is where I will probably stay for a long, long time because once I'm where it's always warm... I'm not going to want to leave.

Sunshine- no final word on my destination for next year yet. Things get more complicated as time goes on. Luckily I still have a bit of time, but the grains of sand are starting to run out.

Thedad- Actually, now that you mention it, my father also calls it "going off on a tangent". However, he directs this more toward my mother, who is far less guilty of this than I am.

Volley- I popped on the infomercials for a bit, but then flipped to one of the scientific channels and am learning about a premature baby born with a heart the size of a walnut! My interests generally don't lie in science, but I happened to come across this... and... it's actually interesting, so I've kept it on even though I'm not really watching- more like half-listening. Oh, I saw the Ronco rotisserie grill last night! I also have a relative who is of the informercial buying kin, as well, and owns several products purchased as a result of much informercial watching. I've noticed that a lot of things that are sold in informercials eventually come on the market, like the Swiffer mop, which was at one point something you could only buy on TV- and now it's everywhere.

My weekends end up getting fuller than I expect them to. I never end up having time to do everything that I want to do, even if I cut out sleep to an extent, which is something that I try to avoid for at least one day because I think everyone deserves at least one day a week where they can get around 8 hours of sleep and wake up feeling somewhat refreshed :)

BTW, I think you should continue chiming in, because I mean, if you really think about it, most of my ramblings don't have too much to do with school...I have almost a whole post dedicated to informercials, for crying out loud. :) (LOL...seeing the midnight mailman is something that I will never forget!) Which APs are you taking?

Thedad! Everything seems as if it could have not worked out any better. This is wonderful! Financial aid kinks sound as if they have been worked out, which must be somewhat of a relief for you (and I say somewhat because you will still have to worry about paying for it... but at least it won't be as much). The academic and internship opportunities sound absolutely incredible. Does D have a bent in any direction in regard to what kind of research she is interested in, since Smith granted her money to conduct it? It must have been nice seeing such a sense of camraderie and friendliness among the students... for me, I consider that a priority in a school. It makes for such a better environment, academically and socially.

This is long, so I'm going to stop talking now.

By Eadad (Eadad) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

Note:I posted some of this on the Parent's Forum last week.

After much (mostly) internal debate, our son has decided to accept The Morehead Scholarship and attend UNC.He was also invited to join the Honors program at UNC.

Other Acceptances: Yale(EA), WUSTL(named Eliot Scholar with money),Stanford.

Withdrew apps from Amherst and Dartmouth after hearing from Yale and from Pomona after being named Morehead Scholar.

To be honest, my wife and I were really torn until we visited UNC the first of April. We had an opportunity to meet the Morehead staff and visited with numerous existing Moreheads. Like our son, they all had had to choose between their dream schools (mainly HYPS) and the Morehead. Even kids who were double legacies at some of these schools had absolutely no regrets and were so enthusiastic about the school, the program and their Morehead peers that the decision crystalized for us while there. I think it really cleared up for him as well but he was not ready to commit until this past week.

We tried to have him focus on everything but the money aspect, although it is a huge differential and certainly WAS of consequence to us.

The summer enrichment program, which consists of four world life experiences (not cookie-cutter summer or semester trips abroad)that begin this summer in outdoor leadership,world/community service, travel and study and finally career development was the real factor that pushed him to UNC.

Additionally, he couldn't say enough about how impressed he was with each new Morehead that he met. They are a truly remarkable group of young men and women. It is a great honor to have him viewed in the same light as these wonderful kids.

Late in the first day of our visit I had a sort of epiphany. I realized that he would have an instant built-in fraternity of sorts with about 200 other people very much like him the first day he sets foot on campus. More importantly as a parent,that he would have a staff of adult professionals mentoring, nurturing and watching out for him, and very much invested in his future success, that would not be there at Yale. At that point, it became a "no brainer" for my wife and me.

I went to the visit at UNC still very undecided and had been on a daily rollercoaster of emotions. He had achieved his (and our)dream since 9th grade and we were considering turning it down!

I told him that I'll get over not being able to put a Yale sticker in the back window of my car and he can go there for med school if he wants to. To his credit, the thought of him (and us)being debt free when he entered med school was not lost on him.

The only negative, from a purely selfish perspective, is that after this summer (because this summer's trip is only three weeks)we really won't be seeing much of him for the next four years since he will be gone almost the entire summer each year. Letting go is made even harder!

Thanks to all my new CC friends for the support and encouragement offered throughout this difficult process and congratulations to each of you for the wonderful achievements that your children have accomplished in their young lives.

To Sunshine,Twinkle and all the students who regularly post here: Congratulations and good luck, but mostly, remember to enjoy the ride because life is far too short not to.

I'll be hanging around, and starting anew, since our daughter will be a junior next year. Here we go again!!

Carolyn and Xiggi have my email address if anyone would like more information, I would be happy to visit with via email.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

You know, I just have to make one comment. I was thinking this morning about where all of the CC kids from this year are going to be next year --- and it seems to me that almost everyone has found their "fit" school, even though in some cases that "fit" wasn't what was originally expected.

I'm a big believer in the idea that life takes you where you need to go --- even when you don't know you're supposed to be there. I have a strong feeling that all of you are on the right road to the rest of your lives.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Carolyn may well be on to something. ;P

I think life is pushing me towards Vassar... really freakin hard. At my overnight visit to Haverford this weekend, my dad had a meeting with their finaid people to try and fix our package (FAFSA EFC 17k, Haverford EFC 35k!!), and they said it cannot be fixed, basically making Haverford almost a non-option. Vassar's EFC is 25k... still very high but apparently their office is very helpful, we plan on talking to them to see if it can be helped at all... and at least it's sort of manageable... sort of. In any event it looks like Vassar for me now... Haverford was really cool too, it would have been a very tough decision, one that's now made so much easier... haha. I'm really really psyched, I can't wait to go. ;D

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

i know!

i've totally forgotten about Princeton and am SO PSYCHED about Cornell or Williams now. i mean, yeah Princeton's wonderful and great and i would love to go there, but the other two schools are just as good and probably better fits for me...

i guess its just the decision part thats hard.

should i go to Williams for 3 years, and go through their 3/2 program and go to Columbia for another 2 years, getting a BA from Williams and a BS from Columbia (in engineering), or should i just go for my BS in Engineering from Cornell?

in other news, i got my 2nd C+ on a math test. hahaha...uhh senioritis anyone?

Congrats to TheDad and his D for making a decision. Smith sounds WONDERFUL and such a great fit. it seems as if the college process always works out perfectly at the end.

good luck with those of us indecisive people still tryign to figure things out.

By Over30 (Over30) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Carolyn, I don't mind life taking us where we need to be (or were meant to be), I just wish life would PAY for it!

Still burning up the calculator trying to make this happen. Told dad to buy a lottery ticket. Keeping fingers crossed. Considering having H ask for a $42,700 after taxes raise. Thought about throwing penny in the wishing well but decided I better hold onto it.

Congrats to everyone who has actually made a decision!

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Well, I've knocked pomona out of the picture, so its between Cornell and Williams. I visited both and I thought both were equally stunning, which gives me the feeling that I wasted $600 worth of plane tickets.

On a side rant, I love the fact that I chose colleges that REQUIRE connecting flights because the largest aircrafts the airports can handle are the size of those coin-operated airplanes at the local grocery store.

The view looking down onto west campus from the "uris???" library was just breathtaking. Although i was slightly concerned by the fact that so many students choose to live off-campus after freshman year. Cornell definitely did not have the same close knit feeling as Williams.

Cornell does have one up on Williams because of collegetown which pulls off a semi-urban atmosphere, but there's no Wal-Mart!!! Also, I dont think I could fully utilize the 15+ dining halls at Cornell, while the 5 at Williams seems like a nice cozy number.

I have a slight leaning towards Williams because of its size. But my parents have a gigantic leaning towards Cornell because of its reputation, and i think they would be very dissapointed if I passed up the chance to go to an "ivy" school. But they already said, that they would support whatever decision i made...so yeah.

This week is going to be very stressful :(
I read the Williams acceptance letter and it appeared that the decision to enroll had to be received by May 1st, instead of being postmarked. Did i misread it? So, do both COrnell and WIlliams have postmarked dates of May 1st?

On a lighter note, Prom is this week! Any other guys think its unfair that we pay for just about everything, while the girls pay for our boutonierres (sp?) which cost 1/4 of their corsages. But then again, I guess getting their hair done and all that other stuff is pretty expensive too.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

:) :) :) WASHINGTON AND LEE, LAW SCHOOL CLASS OF 2007!!!! :) :) :)

Lot to catch up on here... will comment later though. Tulane rejected me, Harvard rejected me, still waiting on three and still on four waitlists - but happy with W&L. The waiting is over - as my dad said, I'm off the shnide. (Pardon the sp).

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

OMG CONGRATS ARIES!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!!! It's about time things looked up for you. im so happy for you!!!!! *jumps up and down*

Eulogy-wow you took the words right out of my mouth. i loved both Williams and Cornell. both were gorgeous. Williams is farther away and possibly TOO remote, while Cornell has more of a "campus feel" and has Collegetown, and at least Ithaca is a town. Williamstown is...Williams. anyways, i was leaning towards Cornell all last week, but am leaning towards Williams as of yesterday. i think its because of the small close-knit feel. my parents are slightly pushing Cornell because its IVY status and because they have friends nearby who they love to visit. also its only a 5 hour drive, while wiliams is a nauseating 11. i dont know...agh. i hope Williams doesnt want to RECEIVE it by May 1st, or im dead. im nowhere near a decision yet. just keep swaying back and forth.

anyways, yay PROM! ours isnt for another 5 weeks or so. and guys should stop complaining. dresses/shoes/hair/nails/accessories cost plenty more than their tux/corsage/tickets.

By Over30 (Over30) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Aries - let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really happy for you.

Edit: by the time I actually hit the post button, Sunshine beat me to it.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

LOL - thank you guys! :) I must say, it did trigger a new acronym: RITKSASTC - running into the kitchen screaming and scaring the cat. :) I found out while I was in Florida, ran into the kitchen to tell my grandfather, and the cat was terrified.

Sunshine: FedEx is great. Send it out on the 30th. :)

By Volley17 (Volley17) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Yay Aries!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You know, Over30, I'm actually really glad that you posted that because I can't spell 'congratualations' and usually just end up posting congrats, but with your post visible while I type this, I can actually type the whole thing out! Yay! :)

Twinkle, I too love random educational channels. As a special program to those who have odd schedules and get to a campus, the local community colleges have their own public access channels where they broadcast classes. Now those clases are really interesting. I also am fond of TLC (provided no one is giving birth ;)) and the Discovery Channel. I remember staying up super late one night just to watch a documentary on how they built an airport in the middle of the ocean. I really have no idea why I was so fascinated with it.

Next year, I'll be taking AP European History. I'm really nervious about this class because over the entire time the school has offered it, only around 15 people have passed the test. The teacher really doesn't teach, he's given up. Anyhoo.

You know, I always wanted one of those super mops and those baking bags. I really have no idea what they're called, but the mop supposedly absorbs everything and it can be used to basically clean any flat surface and the baking bags turn your microwave into an over and nothing sticks to the inside of the bag. I'm not too sure why I want these things, but I do. OH! That reminds me of the buckwheat pillow that I want! It's $19.95 at Target and it supposedly helps your sleep a lot.

This uncle of mine who's addicted to infomercials also happens to be a sucker for Amazon.com and Ebay. We get sooo many packages of stuff that he's bought online and I swear, it's filling up an entire room in our house.

Anyhoo. I'm off. I'm dead tired after that long rehearsal tonight and my hands hurt like heck due to ropeburns. The musical opens on Thursday night and we aren't close to being done. In the time that it should take us to perform the entire play, we got through act 1. Also, the sets aren't completed. Bah! Too many things to do, not enought time!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

AriesAthena, congratulations!!!

Now that you've been accepted to law school, I can't wait until you're the chief counsel for a Senate committee or a Supreme Court judge or something like that.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Aries, CONGRATULATIONS! That is wonderful news. I'm so pleased for you.

Voigtrob, Actually you were one of the people that triggered my "life takes you where you're supposed to be" thoughts - I can so see you at Vassar---I think you'd thrive there actually.

By Eadad (Eadad) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

Aries

Congratulations. Wife's good friend is a W&L Law grad and can't stop talking about the place. She really loved it. Tried to encourage our son to apply there for undergrad. Whew.....Hope you celebrated in style!

Sunshine

Don't know if you've ever heard this but,Cornell is known for tough grading policy. NO grade inflation whatsoever. Freshman are usually shocked at seeing grades they've never seen before in their lives.

Williams (and Amherst for that matter)have strong, strong alumni networks that really network and look out for each other. It is somewhat of a smart jock's school in that they have high percentage of participation in varsity and intramurals but great science department with lots of access to profs as well as research opportunities as early as freshman year.

Williamstown is a cultural hub with great museums and symphony that many New Yorkers (NYC) venture to on the weekends in the spring and fall. The valley is really a beautiful place but it is very remote and you can be snowbound at times. They have a great outdoor program if you like those things.

When we visited it on our college tour, it was the only school that had the Dean of Admissions conduct the info session. We got there early and he started talking to my son, he asked where he was from and what school and immediately started naming students from his school who were either already there, in the incoming class or recent graduates. It was VERY impressive to say the least!

You have great choices that are very different. Williams has year-in-year-out been ranked the number one or two LAC and is also among the most difficult schools to get into. Cornell while an Ivy, doesn't share the same cachet as HYP which is not meant to diminish anything about going there but if your folks are hung up on Ivy, Williams carries similar prestige factor especially in the east and with grad and professional schools.

You can't make a bad decision either way so go with your gut.

By Lamom (Lamom) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

CONGRATULATIONS from LA

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Thank you to all for the congrats.

EaDad: Does Veuve Cliquot count as celebrating in style? I have heard that people tend to love the law school there - honour code, beautiful area, people who have better things to do than to sabotage everyone else. W&L Law had been one of my top choices... very few concerns about getting in anywhere else and making decisions.

TheDad: that would be a wonderful career path - don't know if it will happen, but it just became a lot more possible as of a few days ago. I will send you and TheDaughter (aka my long-lost little sister that I never had - well, little sister who is close to my age!) an email sometime soon, once I get myself organized.

Ah, back to work after a few days in Florida.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

CONGRATULATIONS ARIES!!!! Finally, a law school with sense. You are perfect for each other, you have brains and apparently W+L does too!:)

You're going to be a southern girl! So, so great. I am so happy for you.

Well, I'm going to jet now. I'm in a good mood after my early morning run so I'm going to enjoy the day.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Veuve Cliquot? You've acquired nice taste. :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Major of the week: Biochemistry and Actuarial Science.

Plan of the week: To become very wealthy, pay off too many loans, buy a cute house on the beach, go shopping, and then give to rest to charity.

Sigh. I hate this process! :):)

Honestly, I wish I were a junior again. There is more stuff to think about than I really can deal with all at once. I'm not so much overwhelmed as much as not being able to figure out so much, so fast, and all at once.

My decision making sucks. I either do it on impulse to get it over with, or I spend forever deliberating. EEEEEK. May 1st is rapidly approaching, and my gut is telling me something TOTALLY different than I could have ever expected, and I want to be smart and make a smart decision...but my instincts are pretty good.

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Sunshine - well, distance isnt really a problem for me because both Cornell and Williams are equally far away from good 'ol Texas.

I think im pretty set on going to Williams now. After hearing myself talk about the two colleges to some friends, i realized i was being incredibly biased towards williams. So...how do I break it to my parents? Any advice to help me escape the gullotine?

Bah, while writing this, both my parents have come into my room to talk to me about how their friends were excited to hear that I'm going to Cornell (my dad told everyone that I had already decided on going to Cornell). This is gonna be really hard to tell them I picked Williams.

I personally like the history channel more than the discovery channel... :P

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

YAY FOR ARIESATHENA!!!!! I think we all know what it was like to get the first acceptance, finally knowing that we're going to go SOMEWHERE. Good good feeling.

I came back from Rice and Amherst yesterday, and frantically studied for two tests I had to make up today and a page blurb essay for Lit. Not too fun.

I'm just so indecisive, but pending my carleton visit, I think i'm going to go to Amherst....NO! Wellesley! no! AMHERST! damn.

I went to rice for the owl weekend, and it was ok, but i don't think it really fit me. Plus, i had a really bad host who was smashed the whole time, and of course I wasn't going to get drunk (1. because i don't drink and 2. because i was trying to get a feel for the school and you can drink ANYWHERE) so i felt really awkward for a while because all the parties that were going on were just people sitting around and consuming massive amounts of alchohol. And when you aren't drunk and everyone else is at least tipsy....not a lot of fun. Plus, I don't really want to go all the way to texas. Also, i didn't know that rice has such a skewedly large population of texans. Apparently it's in the charter. Not that I have ANYTHING against texans but i kind of wanted more of a variety of perspectives.

Anyways, I have it down to Amherst, Wellesley, and Carleton. I'm so lucky that i ramdomly applied to so many small schools. I've visited, and I really like the small school feel. I kind of want amherst's acedemics because i LOVE LOVE LOVE the open curriculum! But i'm thinking the girls school thing is a good thing, and I've heard from alums that Wellesley has a really good support program. As for carleton, i have to wait and see. At both Wellesley and Amherst I found people who I thought i could be friends with. We just kind of hung out and talked. In all honesty, at Amherst, I feel like people were so much like me that it wouldn't be like leaving high school. I'm kinda worried that that might be a bad thing, but I'm sure there will be different people with different perspectives and personalities whereever i go.

AHHH! I don't want to have to make a decision.

By Esmereldasy (Esmereldasy) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

oh, and if i go to amherst, i'm apparently going to be the mortal enemy of all you williams people. :-P

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

But if you go to Amherst, there's a chance that you and D will take classes together. Okay, okay...you need a better incentive. Fwiw, Wellesley was D's #2 choice. She made a post about it in the Parents Forum in the "And the Envelope Please" thread under my log-in.

Poor Twinkle, I really do sympathize. Decision-making is a b!tch. I owe you e-mail...I'll try to get a lengthy response out tomorrow.

Eulogy, good luck with breaking the Williams news.

By Eulogy1786 (Eulogy1786) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Esmereldasy - You have no idea...i've already constructed a voodoo doll to conduct ghastly tortures on you

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Yay Aries!

And awesome Eulogy, congrats on that... I was hoping you would pick Williams, just as I'm hoping Siya will! Haha... but good luck breaking the news. :S

And Carolyn, hahaha... it's funny but I feel the same way. At the beginning of this thingy, I wouldn't have seen myself going to Vassar, I don't think. I thought of it sort of as the one really good school I was most likely to get into, just in case... haha. I basically decided to apply at the last minute... when I was filling out my envelopes to give to teachers for teacher recs, I had an extra spot on my label sheet, and thought, "Eh, I guess I'll apply to Vassar." Now I think I would have chosen it over most of my schools anyway. It's funny how life works sometimes... and kinda scary too. What if I hadn't had that extra spot on my label sheet?! AHHHHH! ;P

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

gosh darnit

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

triple post ;P

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page