Wellesley, SLC, Wesleyan, BC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Wellesley, SLC, Wesleyan, BC?
By Picklegirl (Picklegirl) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I'm stressing insanely over which college I should go to and it's driving me crazy. I got accepted into Wellesley, Sarah Lawrence, Wesleyan and Boston College and got waitlisted at Oberlin and Barnard. Could you give me your thoughts on what college you think would suit me best?

I love creative writing and plan to focus (I can't pick just one major yet) in english, art history, and education. I love drawing too, but don't plan on majoring in it, so I'd like to be able to take some good classes in nice facilities.

I love trying new things and I'm very open to pretty much everything. I guess I'm sorta liberal, but I'm not a very political person at all; I just like being aware and discussing my views with different people from time to time. I'd like an environment where I'll be challenged by my classes, but still have a great social life without having to travel outside my campus all the time.

For me, a social life doesn't mean partying all the time or going out to clubs or whatever; I'd just like to a big group of people to hang out with and do whatever.

I'm not a particularly ambitious person or career-oriented... I just want to learn lots of different things, have a nice, full education and come out knowing a lot more about myself. As for a career, I think I'd like to be teacher and make a comfortable, peaceful living for myself. It's not that I'm lazy; I'm just not one of those people who want to become president or single-handedly achieve world peace.

The size of the school doesn't matter much to me, as long as there's enough to do and the people are friendly. Campus aesthetics are also not a big deal. Having access to a city is a big plus, but not if that's the only source of excitement and fun.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

By Xmatt (Xmatt) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Personally, I'd pick Wesleyan. I'm biased, of course, because I did pick Wesleyan last year and I've had a wonderful freshman year. I had a lot of the same wants as you did (liberal but not die-hard, challenging environment, good campus community, social life that doesn't revolve around drinking). Wesleyan has really lived up to my expectations in that respect. I think you'd find a similar atmosphere at other liberal arts colleges, but if you want a 50/50 mix of men and women that I think Wes would be your best option.

Definitely go to the admitted student weekends (particularly Wesfest - it's awesome) to help make up your mind. Good luck and congrats on being accepted!

By Picklegirl (Picklegirl) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:24 am: Edit

Thanks, I'm planning on attending WesFest. :) I also plan on visiting SLC and Wellesley for their little accepted students days. I wonder if I can miss that much school though... senioritis has already made me go on quite a few 'sick days'... :P

I posted this because I was one of those late bloomers who only started seriously looking at colleges late into senior year and am starting to figure out now what things I'd like to concentrate in.

Any more feedback is great, thanks!!

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

I agree Picklegirl, definitely go and visit the colleges. Trust me it is worth it to miss school for 2-3 days to see where you might end up for the next 4 years of your life. Also, the only way to really know where you want to be is to visit and get a feel for the college. GOod luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page