Conservative Colleges with Strong Biology Programs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Conservative Colleges with Strong Biology Programs?
By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I'm planning on majoring in biology and then going on to graduate school, so a good research school is vital. Finding one that's not religious oriented and has a conservative student body has been impossible so far...

I know Vanderbilt (TN) and James Madison (VA) are conservative schools, but would they fit my needs?

Also, is the University of Tulsa a conservative school? My assumption would be that it is, given that it's in Oklahomea. Its low price, western location, great research opportunities, and great scholarships attract me.

What's about Creighton?

Is there any other suitable schools for me?

I'm aware Creighton and the University of Tulsa maintain a religious orientation, but there's many non-religious people at Creighton, and even more so at the University of Tulsa.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

...Somebody?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Take a look at Washington & Lee in Virginia, Furman in South Carolina, Rhodes in Tenn., Franklin & Marshall in Pa., Southwestern U and Trinity U in Texas, St. Olaf in Minn., and the College of Wooster in Ohio. I'd also say Emory and Rice are schools where conservatives could feel comfortable.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

By the way, you'll notice that all of the schools I mentioned (except for Emory) are LAC's - but don't worry, they all encourage and support undergraduate research. I'm sure other people will have some additional suggestions.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

Washington and Lee, Davidson, Emory (not so conservative, but not liberal either), Vanderbilt. They are very good schools and not as overrun by liberals as other schools.

By Lookn4norml (Lookn4norml) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

We are also looking for advice for conservative, or better yet- if they even exist- mixed or mid of the road schools-faculty, more than student body even. Is that an impossibilty unless Christian coalition or Jesuit types?? East Coast will be preferred locale. We moved to the East Coast after a long time out west, so kids have lived both extremes. Our worldview is not being forced on our child, I just dislike paying for brainwashing-either way. Thought college was all about exploration, but faculties seem rather militant these days-did just perpetual hippies get Phds? This child's interested in history/journalism/gov't. We never thought of this as a big issue for our other child-she went to her first choice school -small liberal arts in Mass.-Lucky thing her major is chemistry-can't spin that much. She found out early in the few req'd social science & lit classes to fake an extreme lib op or pay the price in lower grades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

Lookn4norml, you should look into all the colleges Carolyn suggested to me. They all seem to be conservative, but not to any extremes.

It's nice knowing there's non-religious colleges that aren't hippy factories like Berkeley and Reed.

By Lookn4norml (Lookn4norml) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Thanks, Goodchocolate.-we have visited some of these-Rhodes didn't appeal to her-due to dntn Memphis location-they do seem to get alot of students into med school; she likes F&M, so that's on her list, [but it has this looming factory x the street from campus-?safety factor?]
Of Southwestern and Trinity in TX-we lived there too-Trinity has much better academic rep I think, and some think Southwestern a real party school.
What about Austin College in north Texas if you were willing to consider Okla.? Good middle of road school and close enuff to Dallas-no info re bio tho; U of Tulsa not so religious as say Pepperdine in Malibu,CA-
Creighton is a good school but unless you like cold flat and Nebraska football...what about Colo. State in Ft Collins-less lib than Colo. U and still a great town.
For my D, she is also wanting small to midsize, suburban Mid-Atlantic-south of NYC and North of Carolinas.
For you if undergrad research in bio is prioity, LACs may be better-at some schools w/ grad programs, undergrad research comes second.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Austin College is a good suggestion. Also Baylor and SMU (Southern Methodist.) Both have a religious affiliation, but pretty diverse student body. Then Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Davidson come to mind. Any school in Virginia, really.

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Baylor is quite religious - and has required religion classes.

By Vadad (Vadad) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

William & Mary, Wake Forest

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Holy Cross

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

Whoa there, Lookn4norml! Southwestern is NOT the school with the party reputation - that's Southwest Texas State (now Texas State Univ-San Marcos).

I'm an alumna of SU, and we always HATED being confused with SWTSU.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page