USC vs. UCLA MBA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: USC vs. UCLA MBA
By Socalguy (Socalguy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

A while back, I posted a message to this board seeking advice about USC vs. UCLA's MBA program. I should have read the board first--there's so many USC vs. UCLA questions! Sorry to add to the endless (and fruitless) debate.

Perhaps to help others faced with a similar choice between these two schools or other comparable programs, I'd like to let you know my choice: USC.

I can hear the boo and hiss from the Bruin crowd...

In my own research, both were great programs filled with excellent professors and students alike. Both enjoy reasonable recognition in rankings. And both had excellent core courses and electives.

But in my research, it seemed that everybody and everything seemed to point to more cohesive, collabortive spirit that exists at USC. Not that it doesn't exist at UCLA...I just didn't find it. There's also great electives and an entreprenurial spirit that seems to live in the walls at Popovich hall on USC's campus.

I also got the sense that USC's B-School is on the up and up, awakening from a long sleep in the second tier. USC has closed several programs at its school to redirect funds to its business program. Plus, several wealthy alums are donating huge amounts of money to the school. The result: New computing networks, a new building on the way, expanding course offerings and an improving applicant pool.

UCLA, while a respected program, seems to be facing some challenges. The dean has left amid tumult and the school faces budget crises in the present fiscal environment in California. While I'm sure the school will face the challenges expertly, I don't want it to happen while I'm in business school.

Plus...and maybe I'm overestimating here...but it seems cool to have a bunch of loyal Trojans to network with.

Anyway...that's what I decided. Good luck to all!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page