Cal poly vs ucsb

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Cal poly vs ucsb
By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

Does anyone choose Cal Poly if they've gotten into a UC? I got into three UC's; SD, SB, & Davis. But I still love Cal Poly. Is there a big prestige difference? I'm liberal arts, by the way.

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

anyone there?

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

UCSD is much higher in ranking. But I chose Davis over SD freshmen yr. Now I regreted.

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Cal Poly is a really well-known state school. I have several friends who turned down UC's (One declined UCLA engineering, another UCSB business) to go to Cal Poly.

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:01 am: Edit

I got into Davis and UCSD, as well as UCSB & Cal Poly. I just love the college town environment of Cal Poly. Also, classes are smaller. It just seems more the idyllic college experience.

By Rana (Rana) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I currently teach at Cal Poly, but before coming here I had taught at UC Davis and UC Berkeley. There are things to like about each of these campuses. Of course the education you get depends on what you make of it yourself; that said, esp if you are a lib arts / humanities major, a UC campus should give you a much better and well-rounded education. You can find that at Cal Poly too, but you have to work harder to get it. Lib Art / Humanities programs at Cal Poly are mainly geared to offer GE courses to those students (the largest group) that are in technical and professional programs, so majors in humanities / lib arts programs here don't quite get the diversity of courses that similar depts offer at most UCs. The campus motto at Cal Poly is "Learn by Doing," while at a UC you can expect to "learn by thinking." Which one of these approaches you subscribe to will give you a hint of which school you might want to lean toward.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page