How to determine if student has musical theatre talent

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: How to determine if student has musical theatre talent
By Leadfooter (Leadfooter) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I've been reading and reading and reading the musical theatre threads - too bad life keeps interrupting this important process :). My question is this: Is there any way to get a professional opinion of a high school student's (son) talent level? I would travel to the ends of the earth to help him find out if this is a realistic goal. Also, to show my ignorance, can someone explain what differentiates a conservatory program from a Bachelor of Fine Arts and where does MT fit into these? Thank you!

By Wct (Wct) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Leadfooter-
Find an acting/vocal coach that you can trust and have that person do an evaluation/assesment of your son. To some degree this will be subjective because everyone has different opinions. Most qualified coaches will know if your son has the talent and will tell you where to go from there. One very important thing to remember is that if the student is passionate about doing the "work" to improve their abilities they can achieve greatness. I truly believe this because I coach students in voice/performance/and acting and I have seen incredible growth in many of my students that has totally "blown me away".

Many MT programs are in a conservatory setting on a college campus. The degree you earn from these types of programs is a BFA. I am going to put it into simple terms and someone correct me if I am off base. If you take a program, like an intense MT conservatory program, where the majority of your units are in your major, (such as acting or MT)you are most likely earning a BFA, (Bachelor of Fine Arts). If you are studying to get your BA there are far more general education units that you are carrying to get your BA, (Bachelor of Arts).

I hope this explanation helps.

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Leadfooter,
have him attend a Camp Broadway 3-4 day master class, if possible. www.campbroadway.com

Great feedback from professionals.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page