Business Major and Marketing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Business Major and Marketing
By Maggie (Maggie) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

hi there,
I am an international student studying in a community college in Washington state, hoping to transfer to 4-year U fall 2005. My major is business admin. in my current college and I hope to specialize in marketing after I transfer. here's my stats:
GPA: 4.0
Activities: social activities coordinator of international students organization, student ambassador, member of community service club.
activities hoping to get involved in: student senator of student gov't, international digest (newspaper for int'l students), tutor in tutoring center.
I am asking what are some good schools for both business (undergrad) and marketing, if possible, please estimate my chances.
I have looked at U of Washington and NYU, I may also apply to UMich-Ann Arbor, U of Wisconsin. Please comment.
Thanks a lot!

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Marketing:

1. U Penn
2. University of Michigan
3. Berkeley
4. University of Texas-Austin
5. UNC

With the options you have go w/michigan if you get accepted. GET YOUR APP IN EARLY! it will increase your chances!

not only does michigan have the best prestige for undergrad business out of the schools you mentioned, but it is a very well rounded and diverse university in ALL aspects - academically and socially. also, great college town where you will get a complete college experience.

By Maggie (Maggie) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

Thanks, Chitownsfnst3.
What do you guys think my chance are? I understand that U of Michigan is a great school. I will work really hard on the application. And thanks for the application advice.
Any UMich business student here? I kind of glanced through their website and they didn't allow me to transfer business class like business law, business statistics ... and I have to apply for transferring my accounting classes, any advice on this?
Thanks in advance

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:33 am: Edit

You can also look at Indiana.

By U2rules (U2rules) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

maggiue your international right?
I wouldnt make umich my first choice then.
I have currently got into umich and cmu for business..still waiting for 7 others.
If i were a Michigan Resident or a us citizen I would choose UMich hands down but since im not im in a dilemma.
The acceptance rate for international students into the UMich B school in their Junior year is hard.So you gotta judge yourself and see whether
a)your hardowrking enoguh to maintain a high gpa
b)Your willing to sacrifice a BBA degree for a Economics degree which isnt too bad but not the same thing as a BBA
You still got a year.Getting into Umich as a fresher isnt too tough so you shouldnt worry too much
Peace

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

next year i will be a freshman at Michigan. i'm actually interested in business and will be applying after my soph year for the b-school. if you are gonna be applying directly for their undergrad business school - you need to have exceptional stats especially if you are from another university. grades, leadership and courseload need to be way above average (even for U of M applicants) i believe, around 96% of the undergrad business students are from the Univ of Michigan. they said at the info session that i went to last month, that michigan students are their priority and that it is extremely difficult for someone to transfer from another university directly into the b-school as a junior. go on their website and do some research. i don't know what year you are - but i was just letting you know their thought/app process (for the u. b-school)

By Maggie (Maggie) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice! That's very helpful!
i know that UMich is very very hard to get in, esp for transferring from another community college to junior year and directly go to b-school ... but I heard that a student from my school got accepted ... she's smart ...
But is there any other schools than are still good but easier to get in, like Indiana, as you guys mentioned?
Thanks!

By U2rules (U2rules) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:29 am: Edit

yea kelly b school at indiana.
It's easy to get into and is cheaper than umich.
Its a good school rated number 10 on usnews rankings.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

yes. look into kelly @ indiana.

By Maggie (Maggie) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Thanks for the valuable advice.
I know that Indiana is good, but how about the following (except UMich): NYU, UWashington, UW madison, UIUC
And how "easy" is indiana? similar to UWashington? Anyone know the difficulty of transferring to the above U?
Thanks in advance!

By Maggie (Maggie) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Thanks for the valuable advice.
I know that Indiana is good, but how about the following (except UMich): NYU, UWashington, UW madison, UIUC
And how "easy" is indiana? similar to UWashington? Anyone know the difficulty of transferring to the above U?
Thanks in advance!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page